Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear the US has different headlights than Europe. can anyone elaborate?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Since I'm not sure if you're referring to the beam pattern of the light or the headlight housing itself, I'll elaborate on both. The headlight housing on the US spec ones have an amber side reflector (DOT requirement), while Euro spec headlights have a clear side reflector. See attached pic for side-by-side comparison.

The beam pattern on the Euro lights is somewhat different than the US spec ones. I have the Euro spec ones installed in my car and they seem to project more toward the sides compared to the US spec headlights, which project more directly in front of you.

EDIT: Just noticed you indicated "LED" in parenthesis in your thread title. There is no difference in the LEDs between Euro and US spec headlights.

Also, please update your profile to indicate your location.

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Correct, just to clarify a few things though:

There is one important thing different about the LEDs in the U.S. and European specs that varies from market to market: whether or not the LEDs are included at all, that is. You'll only get the LEDs with Xenon driving lights.

In the U.S. this is included in the Premium package that I think is pretty much standard choice (but you can get a car without it?), it is also standard on some engine models in some countries in Europe, but in many places it is also a rather pricey extra option.

Just make sure, wherever you live, that you choose the Xenons for your car if you want the LEDs. Without Xenons you'll only get a few conventional bulbs as daytime running lights in place of the LED light strips that look completely different.

There is also the functional difference of how the LEDs operate under some circumstances (and I know TXcarguy knows this so I'm not trying to "correct" his accurate answer in any way!), U.S. models for example turn off the respective LEDs when blinking while in some European countries the LEDs only dim... and some have reported no turning off or dimming at all. But luckily this behavior is software configurable via maintenance shop or VAG COM coding so you can make a U.S. car behave like an Euro-spec etc.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
There is also the functional difference of how the LEDs operate under some circumstances (and I know TXcarguy knows this so I'm not trying to "correct" his accurate answer in any way!), U.S. models for example turn off the respective LEDs when blinking while in some European countries the LEDs only dim... and some have reported no turning off or dimming at all. But luckily this behavior is software configurable via maintenance shop or VAG COM coding so you can make a U.S. car behave like an Euro-spec etc.
Yep, good points of clarification you added, loc. And in case anyone wants to read about this further, here are the relevant threads:

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/led-daytime-running-426/index.html?t=426

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/have-solved-drl-2468/index.html?t=2468

Also, attached are pics showing what the headlights look without LEDs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
European lights also come with "city lights" while the US version has a dummy bulb in the city light location....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts