Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've just come back from an enjoyable day hooning about in 911s at the Porsche centre at Silverstone, and Mercedes have their centre at Brooklands.

What's the nearest equivalent for Audi? They seem to do some official track days at Silverstone, but is it on a par with the Porsche and Merc offerings? Also, is it worth the money, £800 for a day with an RS5, TT and R8 seems a bit steep (outside of birthday money range!)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I did the "Audi Driving Experience" in Jul 2013, driving the R8 V10+, RS5 and previous-gen TTRS. Apart from the initial briefing and a 45 minute break for lunch, you spend the entire day (0900-1600) in the cars, although it's 2 drivers per car, so you only get to actually drive for half of it. Morning is driving techniques conducting cornering around half of the track in the RS5, ABS manoeuvring in the R8, wet handling in the RS5, slalom course in the TTRS before lunch and then it's hot laps (about 8-10 in each car) in the afternoon and then hot laps in the R8 with one of the professional instructors driving.

It's also now been renamed as the "Audi Sport Experience" and the price has been seriously hiked up!

It was a fantastic day and thought it was well worth the money at the time (I went with my brother and we agreed to pay for each other for 40th birthday presents), but then it was only £499 just 2 years ago, and I now see that it's gone up to £799 for essentially the same package (but with new TTS instead of previous RS). That's some rate of inflation they've applied there!

It's run on the inner, small Stowe circuit rather than the main GP track (as you'd expect for the money). There is now a new "Sport Plus Experience" option to drive the same 3 cars on the main Silverstone GP track with a one-on-one professional instructor from Audi in Germany, but that's £1699, and you have to have previously completed the "Sport Experience" to get on it.

Details are here:
Audi Driving Experience | Silverstone

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the one I was talking about. Looks and sounds great, but £800 is a lot of cash. I could probably twist a few arms to get the £500 version as a present, but not £800.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
That's the one I was talking about. Looks and sounds great, but £800 is a lot of cash. I could probably twist a few arms to get the £500 version as a present, but not £800.
+1
I was going to do it a couple of years ago at the £500 price but not entertaining the £800, that's a rip off.
Although people must be paying it if it's well attended and therefore no incentive to drop the price.
:frown2:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1
I was going to do it a couple of years ago at the £500 price but not entertaining the £800, that's a rip off.
Although people must be paying it if it's well attended and therefore no incentive to drop the price.
:frown2:
I wonder if we could get an A5OC group buy going? It would need to be a serious discount before I could consider it though, i.e. back to the £500 price. But given our obvious love and appreciation for Audi you would maybe hope they might extend a bit of love?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Some guys on here tried getting a group discount back in 2012/13 I think and despite there being several RS5 owners they wouldn't budge in price. Not sure if there have been any changes to their stand on this since? Worth asking.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I wonder if we could get an A5OC group buy going? It would need to be a serious discount before I could consider it though, i.e. back to the £500 price. But given our obvious love and appreciation for Audi you would maybe hope they might extend a bit of love?
Good shout Ian :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
extend a bit of love......audi prefer to extend their hands into our wallets...

strikes me its a "try before you buy" opportunity for existing audi owners (lets face it dedicated sportsbeetle, Mercedes and bwm drivers are unlikely to pay that sort of money to razz a few inferior audis) but at our cost, not theirs.

then you drive home dissatisfied with your current ride, sell the kids for body parts, put the missus on the game and upgrade.

I would be interested to know if there is a damage waiver coz the only way I would do this is if I could break one of them and not get charged...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Yes it's a fantastic day out and much better than the 90 mins Porsche experiences you can buy. I went when it was £500 but it is worth the money even at the increased costs. I'd like to tell you more about the night out we had beforehand but what happens in Milton Keynes stays in Milton Keynes! Needless to say both M and rackster would have been impressed!

The event used to be subsidised heavily by audi so guess they are not putting as much in to the pot these days.
I tried along with others to get a discount when it was £500 and managed to get a polite fuck off, I persisted and then managed a deal we couldn't refuse....a massive, whopping, huge discount of 5% for ten plus people or more.

Good news is if we got 5% off now it's more than they offered last time....!!!!! That's the kind of man maths I use with the Mrs.

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
bugger........either MK was so good you cant remember i was there or I imagined it...or was that edinburgh....glasgow?......pretty much anywhere in the uk.

thats just reminded me of Ellon (north of aberdeen) booked into hotel with colleague, pretty girl at bar, colleague got there first so being a mate left him to it.

over brekkie found out she worked for the same company as my missus and reported to her weekly.

thank goodness that despite my interest in ladies of the female persuasion when push comes to shove alcohol wins every time.

anyway..back to the experience day.

NOTHING goes faster than a hire or courtesy car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts