Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an A5 and I am based in London. My mechanic says I need a new engine as there is no compression in all 4 cylinders. Before I look for a new engine, I want to know other possible reasons for engine failure (a second opinion somewhat). Also I want to know where is the best place look for a a5 cdnc engine.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an A5 and I am based in London. My mechanic says I need a new engine as there is no compression in all 4 cylinders. Before I look for a new engine, I want to know other possible reasons for engine failure (a second opinion somewhat). Also I want to know where is the best place look for a a5 cdnc engine.

Thanks.
You don't say what engine, or what year, but I'm going to assume it's a pre-2012 2.0TFSI?

These engines are/were notoriously weak - the problem was sub-standard piston rings from the factory. These would wear at an alarming rate, causing the engine to use oil at a similarly alarming rate, which naturally would eventually lunch the engine if it went on for too long.

Basically, Audi refused to have anything to do with it (this is a major failing of ALL German companies, not just Audi and not just car manufacturers either - they can be presented with irrefutable evidence of a major design flaw, yet they will completely ignore it but quietly work on a solution at the same time...). Anyway, I digress...

Audi refused to have anything to do with it until someone in the USA brought a class-action lawsuit against them and won; from then on Audi USA would replace or rebuild affected engines FOC, provided that the car was within warranty, unmodified in any way (including remaps) and had been serviced to schedule and with OEM parts.

No such luck in the UK or Europe I'm afraid. They adopted a case-by-case approach which resulted in a very fragmented resolution of the problem, and basically now it's gone away as far as Audi are concerned because all affected engines will either have eaten themselves, been replaced or rebuilt, or are so far out of warranty as to be not worth bothering about.

Long story short - either a) get your existing engine rebuilt with new liners, rings and pistons (because they'll all be fubarred); or b) if you're going to swap the engine entirely, get a reconditioned one with a limited warranty, or make sure that your donor vehicle had a new or rebuilt engine, otherwise you'll just be back to square one.

Having said all that, even that isn't a guarantee of any sort of durability - the longevity of a rebuilt engine depends entirely upon the skill of the person who rebuilt it, and the quality of parts used. The only hope of a cast-iron guarantee of success would be to purchase a brand-new crate motor from Audi UK and get them to fit it. But by the time you've done that, you might as well spend your money on a brand new car.

Of course, if it ISN'T a 2.0TFSI, then I've just wasted 15 minutes of my life typing all that out for no reason...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Your 15min was not wasted.. OP has CDNC engine:cool:

Unforetunately some unlucky people dont research on known faults before purchase and end up a victim. I have a 2009 2.0i TFSI with a new engine fitted 30k miles ago and its decent engine.

On my previous BMW there were known injector failures on petrol engine 2.0(N43) & 3.0(N53) produced 2008 to 2012. These injectors cost about £250 each and fail after 50k miles. Seen in forums young lads buying 10 year old 3.0i at a bargain but couple months later all 6 injectors need replacing. £1500 parts and few £hundred to fit and code them..ouch

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your 15min was not wasted.. OP has CDNC engine:cool:

Unforetunately some unlucky people dont research on known faults before purchase and end up a victim. I have a 2009 2.0i TFSI with a new engine fitted 30k miles ago and its decent engine.

On my previous BMW there were known injector failures on petrol engine 2.0(N43) & 3.0(N53) produced 2008 to 2012. These injectors cost about £250 each and fail after 50k miles. Seen in forums young lads buying 10 year old 3.0i at a bargain but couple months later all 6 injectors need replacing. £1500 parts and few £hundred to fit and code them..ouch
Very often the case. Doing your research as regards vehicles is a lesson that was drilled into me from a very early age - it's probably the second biggest spend that any of us will make and personally I'd like to know what I'm getting for my money!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.