Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found out about this option in the review by Paul Rivera and thinking of ordering it for my new S5. It allows the driver to manually change engine, steering and suspension settings. Does anyone have it / has experience in using it? Is it a worthwhile feature to have? How noticeable is the difference between comfort and dynamic modes?

Here is a link to the review. He mentions Drive Select at about 2:45 into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN3o4H72HVI

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
I was wondering about this as well. He was apparently driving this demo car in the U.S., but I've seen nothing about this feature in our offerings. He also talks about the front camera that provides road drift warnings via a vibrating wheel. Can't say I feel a strong need for that particular feature, but, again, something I've not seen mentioned elsewhere.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering about this as well. He was apparently driving this demo car in the U.S., but I've seen nothing about this feature in our offerings. He also talks about the front camera that provides road drift warnings via a vibrating wheel. Can't say I feel a strong need for that particular feature, but, again, something I've not seen mentioned elsewhere.
Maybe the case is that it was not available straight after the model was launched but is available now. For Russian spec cars many new features are available starting from production week 46 (which is pretty soon) - that is navigation, drive select, side assist and some others...

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
You guys have side assist as an option? Very interesting. Our catalogs, for U.S. delivery, indicate delayed availability on that option (and don't even mention drive select)...and we won't be getting our cars until later this year or early next year. Very strange.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We got lucky this time, i must admit :D Usually it's the other way round...

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, the Drive Select feature IS going to be avail on the 2009 A4 3.2 that is going to be released to market in the US in Sept 2008. All the pre market release shows the Drive Select and the appropriate dash buttons. So, will the $15,000 more expensive S5 not have this feature!!!!! WTF. To me, this is a 100% must have option. Driving as a daily driver on 19" wheels in Chicago, this will be a feature that I will use multiple times a day based on my driving, traffic, and the number of expected pot holes. Eventually this will come to the S5. Does anyone doubt this. So, if its a matter of time, is it going to be on Jan 08 production or is it going to be when the A4 is released, or will it be a feature on the 09 S5's. UGGHH! I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone. My Chicago Dealer...he wants to sell whats on the lot. I also met with the Chicago Area General Manager at Audi driving day as a VIP at the Autobaun Country Club in Joilet last week and he could not provide any detail. He played stupid and was ammazed by the Paul Rivera video on UTube that I showed him. Again, I will hate driving a car for 15k more than a 09 A4 that is not adjustable.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Drive Select is available for order for German customers on the S5 right now. I feel your frustration. I mean the cars are made at the same factory -- why do other customers have to wait when the technology is ready to go? The youtube video was proof it was in the works for a while. I don't understand the marketing strategy behind it. They'll probably offer it to us US customers for the mid year 2008 model for order around April 08. Just a hunch.

To me the adjustable steering feature is more attractive than the ride comfort settings but how they work together could be interesting. I'd like to have Drive Select for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Drive Select in the US

My local dealer (Barrier Audi in the Seattle area) said Drive Select wouldn't be available for order early next year. I drove the S5 for an hour or so yesterday and didn't think the ride was hard at all. I have a 2005 S4 with Pilot Sport summer tires and the S5 seems a bit smoother.

BTW... the S5 was blast to drive and I didn't want to give it back. We drove by the Seattle Auto Show and people kept stopping us to look at the car. :)

I was the 1st person in Seattle to put my car into the order bank several months ago and won't see my car until mid Dec. :mad: They did get 2 Black on Black S5's form Audi corporate and I could have had one but wanted to wait for my Meteor Gray, Black leather and carbon... my wife drives a Q7 in Phantom Black and we can't have 2 cars with the same color can we...

·
Registered
273 Posts
My local dealer (Barrier Audi in the Seattle area) said Drive Select wouldn't be available for order early next year. I drove the S5 for an hour or so yesterday and didn't think the ride was hard at all. I have a 2005 S4 with Pilot Sport summer tires and the S5 seems a bit smoother.

BTW... the S5 was blast to drive and I didn't want to give it back. We drove by the Seattle Auto Show and people kept stopping us to look at the car. :)

I was the 1st person in Seattle to put my car into the order bank several months ago and won't see my car until mid Dec. :mad: They did get 2 Black on Black S5's form Audi corporate and I could have had one but wanted to wait for my Meteor Gray, Black leather and carbon... my wife drives a Q7 in Phantom Black and we can't have 2 cars with the same color can we...
Why not? You like black, get black. Are you worried you'll confuse the two somehow and you'll drive your wife's SUV while she takes your S5? My wife's Odyssey is Honda's metallic light blue, which is close (but no cigar) to the Sprint Blue I have on order. She hasn't objected. ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hopefully its available to order in the US for the sake of people here.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Drive select can be ordered here in Ireland too - I'm confused how it works, is it like Magnetic Ride in relation to the dampers or does it just alter throttle maps and steering feel ? :confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi guys,
I just added the drive select option on my order here in Australia. Drive Select is available with dampers only, dynamic steering only or dampers & dynamic steering.
Aiden - the dampers are not 'magnetic ride', they're electronically controlled somehow and the Drive Select affects the following: a) engine accelerator characteristics, b) Auto shift points (if auto trans.) c) servotronic steering and d) dampers.

In addition, adaptive cruise control, side assist & lane assist and tyre pressure warning are now available for all A5/S5 beginning production around week 48.
**edit** If you order the lane assist, the steering wheel has 4 spokes instead of the normal 3.

I am told the electronic rear diff (torque) will not be available until week 45/2008.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Audi Drive Select per Audi Customer Service

Hi everyone. I've been reading this blog with much interest for the past couple of months and one of the topics that seems to get the most hits is the availability of the so-called "Audi Drive Select" feature. I am currently considering ordering a new 2008 Audi S5 so I too was curious about this feature, since I also saw the controversial YouTube video, so I contacted Audi Customer Service in the USA for some answers on this and a few other features. I must say they were very prompt in getting back to me and here is what they told me (this is for US-spec cars):

1) The Audi Drive Select feature will NOT be available on 2008 MY Audi S5 or A5 cars. It is slated to be offered starting with MY 2009 S5 and A5 vehicles, which should be available sometime in the Fall of 2008 (coincidentally coinciding with the introduction of the 2009 A4)

2) The Hill Hold feature, which keeps the car from rolling backwards or forwards when the car is on an incline (very nice feature on a manual transmission car) and the Lane Assist feature (steering wheel vibrates if you drift out of your lane) will NOT be available on the S5 or A5 AT ALL (no plans to offer these features on these cars at the moment)

3) Audi Side Assist (radar sensor that flashes an LED light located in the driver-side rear view mirror when you signal to change lanes but a car is in your blind spot) IS currently available to order and costs $500.00

4) Electronic rear diff (Torque Vectoring technology) will not be available until MY 2009 for S5/A5

I hope this helps. In my opinion, I think it's ridiculous for Audi to either not offer at all or delay availability of, most of these features when the technology is clearly available now and perfected, as witnessed in the YouTube video and other members of this blog stating that they can definitely order these features in other markets (Europe). I test drove the S5at my local Audi dealer and I was mostly impressed with it's looks, performance, and overall quality, but it's very angering and frustrating when a major automaker's marketing people make stupid decisions like this. So right now I'm not sure if I'm going to order one after all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2) The Hill Hold feature, which keeps the car from rolling backwards or forwards when the car is on an incline (very nice feature on a manual transmission car) and the Lane Assist feature (steering wheel vibrates if you drift out of your lane) will NOT be available on the S5 or A5 AT ALL (no plans to offer these features on these cars at the moment)
The hill hold feature is available on S5 and A5 now - it costs around 70 Euros

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The hill hold feature is available on S5 and A5 now - it costs around 70 Euros
Or £45 in a real currency ;)

You may want to update your profile so it states your location. As the cars have different options in different countries as well as software differences in earlier and later models (on a car that is not even a year old!) it is handy for us to know where you are so replies are correct for you and not someone in a different country.

·
Registered
247 Posts
ildvfc_64, did they tell you if any delays are going on right now?

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Guys, he said he was asking for US spec cars.

Thanks much for the information! Not good news, but great to hear something definitive on this. I've already ordered the side assist and it sounds like that's the last time I'll have to/be able to update my order. Well..unless I switch from Meteor Grey to Brilliant Black!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I suspect some of the option delays to the USA are at least partially related to our insane legal system with the lengthy appoval process in the states for new technology and liability issues with malfunctioning technology. At least that is what was suggested in my communications with Audi's North America Vice President of Sales. He says they employ no less than 35 full time lawyers in the U.S. alone. What a waste of our money.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts