Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys , im in the process of ordering an A5. I keep hearing on the forum about Audi care. What is it? Do I need it? Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was offered "Audi Care" when I purchased my car. I believe that there were 6 or 7 different "Care Levels" available. The things that stick out in my mind were different lengths of Extended Warranty, different lengths of time for prepaid maintenance, and extensions on Audi's road side assistance.

I passed based on the fact that I did purchase Audi Care for my previous A4 and essentially what I was doing was pre-paying for Scheduled Maintenance. As it turns out, that meant I prepaid for 3 of the 6 oil changes that I had in 42,000 miles because only maintenance that is listed in the car's Maintenance Schedule is performed under the umbrella of "Audi Care". Which, by the way, does not include windshield wipers.

I would suggest that before you make your decision, grab the maintenance book from the car, sit down with whoever it is trying to sell you the service and find out exactly what maintenance you are paying for.

An example of how I felt that I was a little burned; I bought my A5 from a different dealership than where I had purchased my A4 (and had all my maintenance done). When I traded in my A4, the dealer selling the A5 asked me if I had had any brake trouble. I told him, "No, but my brake pads were replaced under warranty recently as they were pretty worn." He then told me that the rotors were worn badly enough that they would need to be replaced and that the value of my trade in would be affected. I pointed out that my car was still under warranty so they were more than welcome to replace them for free.

The point of the story is, my car needed new brake rotors (apparently) and these should have been covered by Audi Care but the dealership doing my maintenance didn't replace them. I also had to pay for lamps for the brake lights, come to think of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To the OP:
I'm taking delivery tomorrow on the A5 I ordered in March. I've never owned an Audi, but from reading on-line, my understanding is that Audi Care is the pre-paid maintenance plan. It is not the extended warranty - that's a different thing. My dealer told me that Audi Care is $650 and includes scheduled maintenence thru 45,000 miles. This is a substantial (over 50%?) discount off of the price of individual services.

Nevertheless, it still seems like a lot of money to pre-pay for basically oil changes and lubrication, and maybe a pollen filter replacement (not sure)

My dealer had a printed "service menu" that shows what's included at recommended service levels. You should check this out.

I believe that any mechanic can perform the scheduled maintenance that keeps your warranty valid.

I'd be curious if others think Audi Care is really worth the $650.

·
Registered
256 Posts
To the OP:
I'd be curious if others think Audi Care is really worth the $650.
I do. Not only is it about half the cost (here in Canada) of the regular maintenance, but I like the convenience-it's much quicker to pick the car up at my dealer when the service is prepaid.

·
Registered
132 Posts
audi care

there is a similar scheme in the UK which I am yet to work out if it offers VFM.
Three levels - service - but that does not include filters or maintenance items
Maintenance - which does include the above - will check the wipers and brake rotors
and both the above plus tyres.
As a service costs £310 here inc filters the £30 a month for three years at 10k miles per year doesn't sound so good.
£50 a month buys the next level and I think is more attractive if it includes the parts
£20 more includes tyres and as the tyres are £200 apiece in UK sounds to be attractive based upon the experience with my Passat of 17k miles out of a front set - but I don't know how my current 18in tyres will last with a 3.0TDi if my right foot gets some exercise. Downbside is no choice on brand and I could not get a clear answer on com,plying with the Quattro requirements

SO as I worked it out
for 3 years servicing £310, plus brake fluid £60, plus brake change x 1 at £400, plus wipers x 2 at £80, plus at 15k mls each two sets tyres at £1600 = £2570
or
36 months at £70 = £2420

might be worth it not to have any surprises and as my disks historically have rusted to MOT failure standard quite quickly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts