Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sought after the Audi A5 using many different mediums with nothing but roadblocks. I compared purchasing the vehicle in Canada vs America and I think finally determined what I needed to do in order to get this vehicle across the border (Whether or not I was going to do it will never be determined now). After speaking with Audi Canada last week I was told that the Warranty was transferable to Canada if or when I went South to purchase the vehicle. I did some more digging to try and find the mods I might have to perform in order to get it admissible to Canada, only to find out this week that all 2009 US A5 Warranty's will not be honored in Canada unless you are a US citizen travelling through Canada.

It gets better, after I asked about why the change in the warranty being honored she informed me that it might be partly due to Audi trying to ensure that the price differential between US and Canada is minimized.
Which I replied, why would Audi implement this warranty cancellation on 2009 US audi's to minimize the price differential, if anything, this will make it worse being that Audi Canada is now our ONLY source for Audi's. This takes the Efficient Market Theory's right out the door and replaces it with an almost monopolistic vantage point for Audi Canada and I don't agree with it.

I want to support Audi Canada but I want a level playing field in terms of prices and I don't know why they wouldn't allow us the opportunity to search elsewhere.

Sorry for ranting, but I needed to get this off my chest.

Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
Which I replied, why would Audi implement this warranty cancellation on 2009 US audi's to minimize the price differential, if anything, this will make it worse being that Audi Canada is now our ONLY source for Audi's. This takes the Efficient Market Theory's right out the door and replaces it with an almost monopolistic vantage point for Audi Canada and I don't agree with it.
I suppose they didn't have a comeback that this? :D

I was in the same situation looking to buy a S5 in the US about 8 months ago. The uncertainties - mainly wait time and currency - made me bite the bullet and bought in Canada. One thing is clear, if what you want is available for immediate delivery and you don't have to pay over MSRP to get it, i think the choice is pretty obvious that you should go the US route. For warranty, you can always drive it across the border to get it. Yes, it's a hassle; but it's worth it considering the huge savings.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts