Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon!

I am in the market to buy a new car and wanted to get everyone's advice as you all seem to be sharp - especially when it comes to our German friend.

I currently drive a 2005 Honda Accord, named Goldilocks, and she has 178,000 miles on her. She has been my only car and has seen a lot to say the least. I had planned on running her into the ground but with my new job I need something a little more professional.

With that being said, I wanted to come here and ask for some advice. I am currently looking at the 2019 Audi A5 2.0T Premium Hatchback and the 2017Genesis G80. I have heard that the Genesis is a great car and very reliable, however, I do not know much about the Audi except that when they break or need a repair you end up deep in your pockets (or so I have heard)

Details for the Audi: (1 owner)
Odometer: 36,324 miles
Transmission: 7 speed auto with auto-shift
Drivetrain: quattro all-wheel
Engine: 2.0L 2.0-liter TFSI four-cylinder engine
Compressor: intercooled turbo

I would really appreciate everyone's feedback and any stories they can share!

Finally, is there a big difference between the 2018-2019 Audi A5 model? Does one seem to have less issues? What is everyone's thoughts on an Audi A5 vs the Genesis G80?

Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you're looking at a 2.0 TFSI, do NOT buy a pre-2012 model. Ever. They had a problem with poor quality piston rings which would wear prematurely, causing excessive oil consumption which could only usually be remedied by a block-up rebuild, or complete engine transplant. Post 2012 you should be OK, but if ever you are tempted, make sure that the service record shows that the engine has been rebuilt or replaced, and even if it was a rebuild I wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
Audi A5 f5 3.0 TDI Quattro S line S tronic Virtual Cockpit Driving assist pack
973 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Audi in EU has information here for recalls you can read up on, which I’m sure stretches Over to the US

make sure your google earth works fine before driving off! As it may need an update later down the line.

I’ve had the 2.0t prior to the 3.0 Tdi and can voice the concern of @Rudis_Dad! I had the common oil burning issue. Never again. 😭

but touchwood my 3.0 TDI has been a dream.

good luck on your next choice!
~Alex

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Calling a car "goldilocks" and then admitting it on forum precludes you from owning an audi so you will have to get the Hyundai.
More seriously, reliability seems important to you and so does future maintenance costs so despite calling your current car goldilocks you are thinking sensibly.
There isn't much difference between a 2018 and 2019 here but check your own market to be sure.
Which has the longest warranty.
Also you don't say much about the g80 which we don't get here... Which engine, 4wd or 2wd

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/genesis/g80/2017

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/audi/a5/2018

Drive them both and buy the one you like best.
If you buy off reviews you will buy the Hyundai
Good luck!

·
Registered
973 Posts
@rackingman,

where’s the photos at? Hahaha it’s been a while! Missed them 😂😂

~Alex

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Here every day but few posts are of interest....

Here's goldilocks for you Alex

Sorry she doesn't look like a 2005 Accord.

Reactions: Alex1990

·
Registered
973 Posts
HAHAHAHAH I’m glad to see familiar faces! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
It’s been too long! Shame I don’t see many heavy users back in the day!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.