Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
very exciting news...with the rate things are going, we should see them by 2010 in the states...

·
Registered
109 Posts
i am quite sure the A5 cabrio will come with a metal roof
if you remember BMW kept insisting that they would not install the metal roof as it messes with the balance of the car and takes up too much space...
and all the testing models that were caught by spy photographers made it look like that
and they ended up using a metal roof
it's a much better system and i think both Audi and Mercedes will use it in the A5 and CLK
otherwise its a huge advantage for the 3 series
time will tell

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
i am quite sure the A5 cabrio will come with a metal roof
if you remember BMW kept insisting that they would not install the metal roof as it messes with the balance of the car and takes up too much space...
and all the testing models that were caught by spy photographers made it look like that
and they ended up using a metal roof
it's a much better system and i think both Audi and Mercedes will use it in the A5 and CLK
otherwise its a huge advantage for the 3 series
time will tell
I don't think it will be a metal roof, most manufacturers recognise the weight and cost implications outweigh any real benefits. Disagree that that would give the 3 series an advantage, if anything I think the A5 Cab would outsell the 3 series CC 'because' its got a soft top.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

Here's a couple of pics of my old 6 series convertible, it was every bit as quiet as the 6 series coupe that replaced it. Soft top everytime ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't think it will be a metal roof, most manufacturers recognise the weight and cost implications outweigh any real benefits. Disagree that that would give the 3 series an advantage, if anything I think the A5 Cab would outsell the 3 series CC 'because' its got a soft top.

"most manufacturers" as in who?
BMW one of its main competitors uses a steel roof in its new 3 series
Mercedes doesn't but their new model is not out yet
it does give an advantage as most buyer recognise a metal top as an upmarket feature (ex SL, SLK, Lexus etc)

and i very much doubt the A5 would outsell the 3 series cab
my guess is now it outsells it probably 4 or 5 -1

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Convertible will be a soft-top

Sorry guys...

I should have included in my original posting that the A5/S5/RS5 convertible will be a soft-top.

No steel roof!

My appologies for leaving this out.

You can read more at the link I originally provided.

Regards,

GTL

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
+1 on the weight saving part.

Pretty sure they've already confirmed it will be a fabric roof - personally, I prefer that on cabs anyway. Jen, you've had Audi cabs, what would your prefernce be?
+1 : Audi have already confirmed they are not going to do a hard top due to weight issues.

BMW E92 CC is nice but with the top up it looks a little weird when its in a light colour like silver, although when i've seen it in a dark colour like black it looks very nice.

One other issue with hard tops is boot space is reduced to nothing. Not as bad with a soft top. The boot issue put me off the BMW CC as you just can't have anything in the boot when the hood goes down.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Bmw had also inisisted it would not be using a folding metal roof, and that the weight handicap and the effect it has on the balance were not equal to a soft top
and yet they released a soft top
i am sure they did tons of research studies to justify the switch
i am just saying BMW also said they would not use it and ended up with a CC

personally
i have owned both
no comparison between metal and soft top
boot space is compromised in all cabrios
you dont buy a cabrio when you need a huge trunk
noise, isolation, rigidity, resistance to theft etc are all wins on the metal tops side
plus the boot of any metal top is usually huge
i used to own a 206cc whos boot was bigger than a 5 series
and thats a small car

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Bmw had also inisisted it would not be using a folding metal roof, and that the weight handicap and the effect it has on the balance were not equal to a soft top
and yet they released a soft top
i am sure they did tons of research studies to justify the switch
i am just saying BMW also said they would not use it and ended up with a CC
personally
i have owned both
no comparison between metal and soft top
Never said one was better than the other, just that they both have pros and cons
boot space is compromised in all cabrios
Yes true, but it is not compromised in a hard top, it just doesn't exists.
you dont buy a cabrio when you need a huge trunk
Yes not a huge trunk, but still need something instead of nothing.
noise, isolation, rigidity, resistance to theft etc are all wins on the metal tops side
Anyone trying to get into a car these days doesn't go through the roof on a modern cabrio, they just break the window.
plus the boot of any metal top is usually huge
i used to own a 206cc whos boot was bigger than a 5 series
and thats a small car
Which 5 series were you looking at as the 206 CC has a little over 400 litres of boot space while the E60 5 series has over 500 litres.

·
Registered
45 Posts
absolutly gorgeous car, i personally on any car would take a coupe over the soft top but I definitly like the idea of it, i wonder if Audi will have the same wait time as the A5 coupe with the cabriolet...

·
Registered
493 Posts
IMO carbios ruin the original coupe car. Cabriolets look like they are not finished.. When there is a GT before the Cabrio the cabrio just doesnt look right.. Thats my opinion.

Danny

·
Registered
28 Posts
IMO carbios ruin the original coupe car. Cabriolets look like they are not finished.. When there is a GT before the Cabrio the cabrio just doesnt look right.. Thats my opinion.

Danny
completely agree

1 - 16 of 16 Posts