Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Do you approve?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got round to putting on the Audi roof rack, what a bloody palarva! :yikes:

It operates exactly the same as a THULE (probably made by them) if you've used them before, but the main difference is that the A5 has no rails of any kind on the roof, so it clamps against the side of the roof underneath the rubber seals, doesn't exactly look very nice and I've already slightly scratched the newly sprayed window surround faffing around getting it on.

Well now it's on now and is solid, now I've worked out how to do it I will use it when I need to, obviously not cool to keep on an RS5 permenantly but it will get me out of a hole come race day or family visits.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
:cool:

well that ought to put the competitors off guard

(always found scraping the bugs off bikes on the roof a pita though)

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Approve of being able to call upon the car for whatever the task (Y) Would suck to leave it behind because you need to haul.

Don't like the way it fits though =/ and not sure I'd personally trust myself to slow down a bit :D

·
Registered
885 Posts
I can't say I'd be comfortable with the way it fits under the rubber seals like that! Not much you can do about it, but I'd be worried it would misshape it over time!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I worry about my rubbers :)

Tiz effing crap design though....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took me about 40 mins to set up, now it's put together it would take around 10 minutes.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at trying to get a detachable towbar mounted bike rack, should be fun!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just purchased an A5 after having several BMWs. The roof rack on those cars were a piece of cake to install. They were bolted into mounting points in the rain gutters of the roof. How exactly do the cross bars mount to the A5? I see your picture of the mounting point being below the weather stripping, but what is actually holding it in place?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Literally clamps onto the painted roof at the rear, you get a couple of pieces of plastic to protect the paint, absolute madness. Front there is a clamp/nut it clips onto, still not clever.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'd use something like Lamin-X on the contact areas if I was you...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I,m glad i looked on here 1st. I am not fitting those to my roof, thats a crap design.

Off to get a towbar this aft. Thats annoying as well

Towbar £160
Bloody electric kit £130

To think that the piddly wiring is nearly the cost of the bar is a joke.
I was told you couldn't fit a towbar to the RS5 because of the rear diffuser? Would love to see some pics if you do.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think it looks alright but I'm fine with function over form. I have a Thule on mine and the rubber seals seem to sit a bit more snugly that you have there. Crappy pic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370341727.537708.jpg

I did look at the Thule temp boot bike rack but its hideous and covers you plates which is illegal here and the rack doesn't have a plate holder option.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Don't they give you little clear 'fablon' type patches to stick on the roof. Bought a Thule one for the A7 to move a shed in France (long story but never used it!) and it came with x4 20x15cm patches to stick on the roof, anyone know if you are meant to leave them on??

RG

·
Registered
213 Posts
Don't they give you little clear 'fablon' type patches to stick on the roof. Bought a Thule one for the A7 to move a shed in France (long story but never used it!) and it came with x4 20x15cm patches to stick on the roof, anyone know if you are meant to leave them on??

RG
Not in mine, Thule dealer installed it so not sure if the kit came with patches. Probably designed to sit under the big rubber pads.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts