Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an Audi a5 2008 2.7L diesel. The car seems to go into gear but doesnt reverse, drive or do anything else. I think it goes into gear as when I do put it into reverse the lights come on as well as the sensors appear on the screen. The link below will show what happens when I put it into gear. If you have any idea I would appreciate your help. Also I have had a diagnostics done and no fault code has come up.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh11YsHtuNE

·
Registered
474 Posts
Have you checked the transmission fluid level? If you have a DSG/S-Tronic transmission, you should've had the fluid serviced every 30 - 40K.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It says the level is ok but I am getting a mechanic to come around next week who will change the filter along with new transmission oil and see if that works. Thank for your reply

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But if you or anyone has any other suggestions please do post because if the car does still have the same problem after the filter and oil change I have something else to try. Thanks

·
Registered
474 Posts
Everything after fluid is expensive.

The (super summarized) sequence of events is as follows:

1. engine is running and transmission oil pump sends fluid to valve body
2. you shift the transmission to a particular gear with the shifter
3. transmission computer senses the position and lights up the appropriate lights in car
4. mechatronic computer engages solenoids to send fluid to correct channel in valve body to engage clutch
5. clutch engages and shifts into appropriate gear
5. gears drive the differential/final drive
6. final drive moves the axles which moves the wheels

S-Tronic and TipTronic are a bit different in that the TipTronic has a torque converter involved, but I believe you have a S-Tronic.

so if you have enough fluid, the next things to look at are the mechatronics (wires/sensors/solenoids/blocked channel/worn out or leaking channel), transmission oil pump, clutch, drive axles

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Won’t be S-Tronic... it will be Tiptronic if Quattro and Multitronic (CVT) if FWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
i have an 2010 S5 had a similar experience a few months back my initial thought was oh my god.sometimes it would drive and sometimes it would just rev.my initial thought was the battery even though i had changed it 3 years ago with a genuine battery from Audi.i had the battery tested and they said it was perfect i went ahead and changed it anyway and yes that solved the problem never done it since.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi thank you for all the replies I'm not to sure about all the tronics and stuff as that's new to me, my reg is lt58 vfv if that helps to find out what it is. Also I have a feeling if it's not the oil it could be clutch what do you think?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Findalex Also I dont know if this helps but once I do change gears it does show up on the screen that it is changing does this eliminate some of the problem you mentioned

·
Premium Member
2,383 Posts
Is it possible for the CVT belt to give out without any codes? Reasonably sure this would be a CVT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to sure but all I know is it's a problem that's doesnt show up as a code. I will be getting the oil and filter for transmission done hopefully early next week but to me seems unlikely that's the cause but will do it as it has never had one. Also is there any way to check if the clutch is gone without taking the transmission apart

·
Registered
474 Posts
I concurr with checking the battery. So many electronics in this car, low battery voltage really messes up the computers. Although that should've generated a ton of "voltage too low" codes. Did the dealer scan it for codes? or was it just some generic code reader by a local garage? VW/Audi-specific scan tools are really needed for deep analysis.

I don't think you can check on the clutch without taking the transmission apart. In fact, there isn't much else you can do without taking the transmission apart after the oil change. However, things like clutches and mechatronics usually do not fail suddenly and completely without any warning. Does the car move at all under any circumstances?

But first, let's figure out which transmission you have. Please provide more info so we can determine if you have a torque converter(TipTronic)/DSG(S-Tronic)/CVT(Multitronic) since Audi sells the A5 2.7L TDI with all 3 types of transmissions. Does the car have quattro?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok just found out from the person I bought the car of that they were driving on the motorway at 85mph and Suddenly warning light for the gearbox comes on and they had no drive

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
If it’s a 2.7TDI FWD then it will be Multitronic CVT tranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
It's a multitronic which is cvt. Like Mr Wilson said that's the only transmission option for this engine.
I can understand you trying to fix it if you bought it for next to bugger all knowing it was fucked, otherwise just ask for your money back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also gearbox code is LKY. What I'll do is keep you guys posted once the oil and filter has been changed and run another diagnostics and check the battery. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have the same problem on my car

I bought a Audi A5 27Tdi automatic 2009year that is doien exakt the same thing like your car
Please reply to me if you find what is wrong with your car.
Thank You
Regards Daniel from Sweden

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have the exakt same problem on my car

Hello Guys from Sweden here i have the same problems on my car Audi A5 2009 2.7tdi automatic cvt LKY
Please keep me updated if you find what is wron with your car.All help/information is greatfull.
Regards Daniel From Sweden

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes no worries will do just havnt had time to get filter and oil done at the moment but will let you know if that works also if you get yours working please post on the thread what caused it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts