Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for An Audi A5 (2009 3.0TDI Manual Quattro 40k miles), to have a very stiff and clunky gearbox?

According to Audi Bexleyheath the test driver/engineer said that Audi has admitted that they are a problem with the A5's, and I will have to live with it. I think they are fobbing me off to be honest.

For a £33k car I would expect a lovely gearbox and smooth gear changes. It's been like it since a bought it 6 months old.

I need to apply what I would call 'excessive and unnecessary force' to execute gear changes. Not all the time, but often.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Warranty runs out in 6 months.

Any suggestions on how to tackle this? Independent testing somewhere?

Thanks in advance,

A frustrated first time (maybe last) Audi owner.

PS. Other annoyances: Lots of road noise; very squeeky windows in dry weather, clutch starting to shudder very slightly

·
Registered
273 Posts
- sometimes tough gear change (1st gear only): check. Though I note after 2 years (actually exactly 2 years today), the gears' change is not as smooth as it once was
- squeeky windows (only if not clean): check
- road noises: nope

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also find the clutch/gearbox pretty heavy going. Lovely car but you have to put in the effort. Maybe it's the 3.0 TDI setup.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Although the odd cold 1st gear can sometimes be notchy, I generally find both the gearbox and clutch pretty slick but precise. I do find it doesn't tolerate being changed without the clutch being fully depressed before the shift.
My clutch judders very slightly sometimes on pull away in 1st, but usually just a touch more rpm's smooths it out completely, and it's always been like that.

IMO, if you have very stiff gear changes all the time, I would consider that not normal set against my experience.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Concur with Dan - shouldn't be how you describe it. Try and get a drive in another A5 3.0TDi manual and see if it's the same. If not then you're being fobbed off. Ask the mechanic to go out in your car and another - ideally a second hand one off their forecourt to show him the problem.

I wouldn't accept the excuse "Oh, they all do that sir!"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for messages, will have to try a drive in another one, good idea

I've also noticed (I think) that you can't buy a new standard Audi A5 3.0TDI like mine any more on the Audi website. Wonder why that is.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have a september 2007 manual A5 3.0 TDI quattro and It always have had the same judder problems in 1st. It has 118.000 kms. now and the clutch works fine except for that.
Audi knows this problem with this model of car but they haven't done anything about it except updating the engine software changing the clutch pump behaviour and the idle rpms... nothing more.

The only problem is that your clutch can break down as in the car of friend of mine with an A5 like mine, with 125.000 kms and being used almost overall on motorways.
3 weeks ago He was starting up from stand still in a light and suddenly the clutch left working, having to stop the car turning it off with the key.

He took the car to the dealer and they have told him that the clutch is broken and warranty doesn't cover it (is covered only for 10.000 kms/6 months), so the complete repair will cost him 2.300€!!!

Ouch!!!

Yes, that's it, 2.300€ for repairing the clutch, so if some of you have any problem with the clutch I advice you to insist to your dealer until they definitively repair it because after those 6 months/10.000 kms I've told they aren't going to offer you anything better than paying the repair...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts