Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a knocking/clunking/creaking noise coming from the rear offside (that's where it sounds like) for a year now. It started very faintly after a trip to the Yorkshire dales October 2020 and has since gotten progressively worse. I've had it in to the garage twice and both times they couldn't figure out what it was. I've changed the drop link both front and rear and replaced the rear struts but the knocking is still there. It tends to happen when pulling away over uneven surfaces, when driving over uneven surfaces, sounds like it's worse when braking and going over uneven surfaces or round corners and it's really giving me the hump now. Does anyone have any suggestions of what it might be or what I should replace to try and fix it? This is my last resort before I take it into Audi dealership but I don't want to be forking that sort of money out. Cheers

·
Registered
560 Posts
maybe a local independent mechanic would be cheaper to do a diagnosis with.

There are tools (e.g. chassis ears) that allow you clip a tiny microphone onto various parts of the car so you can pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. If you're into DIY, you could just buy the tool (a few hundred on Amazon, ebay, etc.).

there are bushings on the subframe and the rear differential. i would check those as well as any other bushings in the back such as the bushings on the control arms.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You can visually inspect each mount/bushing and if you see large cracks, then you know it's time to replace.

You can also use a prybar and move the suspension component to see if it's moves too much/too easily. Sometimes you can see the large tears inside the rubber bushings better that way.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to replace the rear lower front arm to see if that is the source of the problem.
Mate not usually a good idea to just start fitting new bits cos you spend cash and may not change anything. Better to investigate FIRST.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.