Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody

I'm new here and hope somebody can help.

I bought a Chinese android unit for my audi a5 2008 with mmi 2g high ami

I have connected the wiring harness to the climate controle and controle box unit. When I start the car, the unit doesn't start?

I have a black cable behind the display where I have no idea where to connect? And a Acc cable?

A fusebox with b- and gnd but I am unsure If I have to connect that?

Seller said plug and play.

Pictures added.

The 8.8 Inch android unit has 4 connections:

Original display plug
Wiring harness plug
USB plug
AUX ln

Hope somebody can help.

Thanks upfront. :)

·
Registered
Audi A5 f5 3.0 TDI Quattro S line S tronic Virtual Cockpit Driving assist pack
974 Posts
A bit of insight. I’ve fitted something very very similar to yours back when I had the B8.

Acc is the accessories power supply, so just connect that wire to something that turns on with 12v when you turn to ACC on with your initial key push.

The second wire is literally as it’s wired MIC for input of your voice. So purchase a headphone 3.5mm mic input if you want that for voice calling? I mean it could be Aux in but that would be a funny label for MIC.

GND wire is a grounding wire. Either tap into a grounding point on your car or another grounding wire. The b- is yellow, which is making me think it’s something to do with a rear reversing camera input? As in switching the screen to another video source when reverse gear is selected... correct me if I’m wrong?!

Lastly the other black wire looks like an antenna for radio purposes but you should have your original antenna wire to go into the unit, either that or another GND wire. I highly doubt that’s the GPS to be honest.

I’m thinking the 12v additional ACC wire is what you need to get the screen turning on as it needs further power supply just to “turn” the unit itself on if that makes sense. It’s not for power supply as such, but just to say turn on.

I hope that makes sense and you should be on your way.

but ofcourse it’s natural to contact your seller for clarification or we’re all just scratching our heads.

~Alex

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A bit of insight. I’ve fitted something very very similar to yours back when I had the B8.

Acc is the accessories power supply, so just connect that wire to something that turns on with 12v when you turn to ACC on with your initial key push.

The second wire is literally as it’s wired MIC for input of your voice. So purchase a headphone 3.5mm mic input if you want that for voice calling? I mean it could be Aux in but that would be a funny label for MIC.

GND wire is a grounding wire. Either tap into a grounding point on your car or another grounding wire. The b- is yellow, which is making me think it’s something to do with a rear reversing camera input? As in switching the screen to another video source when reverse gear is selected... correct me if I’m wrong?!

Lastly the other black wire looks like an antenna for radio purposes but you should have your original antenna wire to go into the unit, either that or another GND wire. I highly doubt that’s the GPS to be honest.

I’m thinking the 12v additional ACC wire is what you need to get the screen turning on as it needs further power supply just to “turn” the unit itself on if that makes sense. It’s not for power supply as such, but just to say turn on.

I hope that makes sense and you should be on your way.

but ofcourse it’s natural to contact your seller for clarification or we’re all just scratching our heads.

~Alex
Hi Alex

thanks for your input. (y)

Okay I thought the unit got power from the original screen connector and the bypass harness. I will try to find a Acc connection and wire that, see if it helps. Maybe test it with some kind of 12v to see if it starts up

The fusebox wire b- and ground don't make sense as from one side, it already goes through the fuse box and then again for some reason they left the Same 2 cables free? I will try to post a picture.

The wiring harness went trough the controle box unit and climate controle and up to head unit.

Only thing I can say for sure is. Don't buy from China!

I paid 658$ for this unit and at least they could provide some info instead of just say plug and play. :mad:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Did you not receive any manuals at all?
Picture ones usually came with those, and similarly mine had pics of what the input was, but no real forward help from the manual directly, but all figured out in the end.

I’m very dubious about that GND and b- wire. I’m pretty sure it’s som sort of switch input for the head unit to switch to another source. Might be wrong mind you, without a second glance at any sort of instruction manuals it’ll be hard to do so.

Check thoroughly the packaging you received as you might have something wedged or hidden from sight with the instructions!

~Alex

p.s. make sure it is a steady 12v a multimeter is handy for these kind of jobs 👍🏻

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you not receive any manuals at all?
Picture ones usually came with those, and similarly mine had pics of what the input was, but no real forward help from the manual directly, but all figured out in the end.

I’m very dubious about that GND and b- wire. I’m pretty sure it’s som sort of switch input for the head unit to switch to another source. Might be wrong mind you, without a second glance at any sort of instruction manuals it’ll be hard to do so.

Check thoroughly the packaging you received as you might have something wedged or hidden from sight with the instructions!

~Alex

p.s. make sure it is a steady 12v a multimeter is handy for these kind of jobs 👍🏻
Yeah, I will need to buy a multimeter tomorrow. I'm pretty sure there is no manual, I triple checked and the seller is no help at all.

Can I put the acc wire anywhere with 12v to check if it starts up?

My a5 is the one with CD changer and mmi 2g high with ami in glove compartment. Basically all wires are run.

I haven't connected the acc wire, b- & gnd from fuse box, also yellow white red video cables because I don't have a backup cam

But thanks so far. Hope its just the acc cable

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know what it is, but my climate controle don't work anymore. Seems like it don't get power anymore or the unit is dead.

Installed the factory screen back and everything works excepts for climate controle. I scanned the vehicle and got some error 01320.

Checked all the fuses they are ok.

My recommendation for everyone.

Never buy from China. It will only cause headache and you lose money.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Shame about that.

I would clear codes and see if it works again.
If still not working see attached photo for help.

hope this helps.
~Alex

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shame about that.

I would clear codes and see if it works again.
If still not working see attached photo for help.

View attachment 179452

hope this helps.
~Alex
Hi

Cleared the codes but still nothing and then I changed a 10amp fuse on the passenger side. The climatronic display works again.

My second problem is I get no air out the vents. Some kind of clicking noise when turning climatronic on and off from glove compartment.

Error:
01206 - Signal for Duration of Ignition Off Time
01844 - Control Module for Fresh Air Blower (J126)

I think its the fresh air blower module / relay. So I have ordered a that and a blower to be sure.

·
Registered
974 Posts
What an absolute pain you’ve had just for the sake of a head unit change.

Definitely a lesson learned!

hopefully you can find a better unit within UK or more comprehensive manual 😭

~Alex

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
B- will be "battery", i.e. permanent 12V power

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I finally installed the unit after lot of headache.

1. B+ and gnd didn't need a connection.
2. Acc needs ignition contact therefor connected to passenger side fuse.
3. The provided antenna cable made a huge issue with the system random rebooting and therefor removed.
4. Rca to aux adapter needed for sound

Now I have the following problem:

Postive:
Controle buttons works
Music plays and android apps works.
Can go into original mmi

Negative:
Don't show parking sensors
Don't show correct car model shows Q5
Don't show when doors are open
Don't show when climate changes on screen
Don't show correct date and time.

I believe it's a wrong software, firmware, mcu on this unit. Seller is unresponsive as again don't buy from China.

Don't buy from this seller:
(Big screen GPS factory store) or also named Aotsr

Seller did not ship:
microphone, rca adapter, outer frame, longer cable for Acc.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Can you claim from Aliexpress? If you take enough photo AND videos with dispute, you can get money back!
~Alex

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you claim from Aliexpress? If you take enough photo AND videos with dispute, you can get money back!
~Alex
I'm trying and I have created a case on aliexpress. I don't have a lot of trust with alixpress to be honest.

The worst thing is that I pried open my original display frame because their frame did not come with outer frame.

So if I have to return the unit. To get my money back I will also have to spend money on a new frame.

The most annoying thing is time and effort spend. Seriously I don't get, how they can do business like that. That should be illegal in so many ways.

Should have stuck to a German or British seller. In the end, I spend the same amount of money

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update!

I talked to their electrician / engineer he said.

The unit is for a4, q5, a6 and do work just don't work fully on audi a5 as they don't have many of my a5 models in China therefor no operation system for this model.

He will check if he can find a5 to make information.

Well I asked 3 times before purchasing. Does it fit my car and even sent pictures.

This is a warning to all - Do not buy from China or alixpress expensive items. Pay that extra and get it from a European seller.

Attachments

·
Registered
974 Posts
Just open dispute to Aliexpress and don’t bother talking to the seller.
If he was going to rectify it, he would of done it by now.

~Alex

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.