Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was contacted via a member on here to detail this Audi A5.
Having done a few A5's I thought I knew what to expect with the paint work and the "norm" condition.
But I was very suprised when I turned up, Ill let the pics do the talking:

The car on my arrival:

I started to the car by cleaning the alloys, then snowfoaming the car rinsing and washing again rinsing, then detarring (no pics of the previous stages) and use of Iron Cut

I dried the car with the car dryer then the remaining with a Dodo Juice Supernatural Towel at this stages I then saw the condition of the paint work, I was shocked as the owner recently
got this from an Audi dealership !

I took some paint depth readings:

same area

other interesting readings:

So I decided to start on the boot lid and attempted to correct with Swissvax cleaner Fluid Pro and a Hex logic polishing pad.
This removed the light swirls but not the deeper scratches

Decided to opted for 3M FCP/Ultrafina on a Hex Logic Cutting Pad, Then refined with SV CFP on a Hex Logic Polising Pad, further
refined with Menz Final Finish on a Hex Logic Refining Pad via DA resulting in this:

from this

to this

Finally Swissvax Cleaner Fluid was applied via DA on a refining pad then 2 coats of Swissvax Crystal Rock,
the windows cleaned with Swissvax Crystal, the Alloys treated with Zaino Z2 then Swissvax Autobahn and Pneu on the tyres,
the Exhaust treated with Swissvax Metal Polish and plastic trim to Swissvax Nano express.

The Interior was initially dry hoovered and then shampoo hoovered, the dash/trim treated with swissvax Quick Interior Finish
and the leather to Swissvax Leather cleaner & conditioner, the seals to Seal Feed. and Engine Bay to CG Silk Sine trim dressing.

The end results:

outside pics

The owner was over the moon with the results

Thanks for viewing

Robert
Prism Detailing

·
Registered
363 Posts
Excellent job !! Scary how the paint could get in that condition in the first place, even knowing that Audi paint is notoriously soft:thumbsup:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Robert - when are you coming to Belgium?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Robert - when are you coming to Belgium?
This is a possibility as I have been invited to Germany to detail some cars, so could happen :thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can understand the outside of the car looking filthy, especially if the driver is doing high mileage. But based on the condition of the drivers footwell before you did your thing, I doubt the owner is going to keep it looking so nice for long ;)

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Great job there Robert, how many hours did you put into the correction?

Excellent job !! Scary how the paint could get in that condition in the first place, even knowing that Audi paint is notoriously soft:thumbsup:
I can't speak from experience with any previous Audi's but the clear coat on the current range is known throughout the detailing world to be extremley hard and right pain in the ass to correct.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Robert, I detail my own Car and consider myself to be quite good at it too! That said, I'd be interested to know how much a pro like yourself charges and also whether you're ever near the Bedford area? :thumbsup: Look forward to hearing from you mate!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great job there Robert, how many hours did you put into the correction?

I can't speak from experience with any previous Audi's but the clear coat on the current range is known throughout the detailing world to be extremley hard and right pain in the ass to correct.
It took me about 11-12 hours non stop to carry out this detail, and as for Audi paint, it is hard, otherwise I would not have had to step up to using 3M Fast Cut Plus (being one of the most aggressive cutting combination). It would take longer, but now since I have done quite a few A5's I usually know what ill be doing before i even start.

Robert, I detail my own Car and consider myself to be quite good at it too! That said, I'd be interested to know how much a pro like yourself charges and also whether you're ever near the Bedford area? :thumbsup: Look forward to hearing from you mate!
Usual cost starts from £350 for a correction, everything is depending on condition of the paint.

There will be a few deals coming up very soon where there will be an incentive (discount and upgrade) and touring around the UK carrying out details. This will be in conjunction with another "audi" varient forum.

There will also be a couple of demo days carried out, hopefully within Northampton and I think Derby (this need to be confirmed), also anyone within Cambridgeshire (which is close to you) can stop by as I am setting up a detailing studio there (as i have a lot of customers coming from London to have work carried out) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It took me about 11-12 hours non stop to carry out this detail, and as for Audi paint, it is hard, otherwise I would not have had to step up to using 3M Fast Cut Plus (being one of the most aggressive cutting combination). It would take longer, but now since I have done quite a few A5's I usually know what ill be doing before i even start.

Usual cost starts from £350 for a correction, everything is depending on condition of the paint.

There will be a few deals coming up very soon where there will be an incentive (discount and upgrade) and touring around the UK carrying out details. This will be in conjunction with another "audi" varient forum.

There will also be a couple of demo days carried out, hopefully within Northampton and I think Derby (this need to be confirmed), also anyone within Cambridgeshire (which is close to you) can stop by as I am setting up a detailing studio there (as i have a lot of customers coming from London to have work carried out) :thumbsup:
Thanks for the reply Robert! I would say my paint condition is better than average due to the regular detailing I do to the Car myself, still can't seem to get rid of all of those pesky swirls though!! :thumbsdown:
Please keep me posted if you do come this way then please as Northampton and Cambridge are both easily accessible for me!

Cheers :cheers:

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Yep very true Rs5ive.

Great job Robert, I thought it looked like a 2 day job on correction alone! If you don't mind me asking what did it cost the punter for just this part of the job? Don't worry my car's in no were near that state, I'm just intrigued ;)

Hope your be offering a bit of discounted detailing at Jen's planned APS meet? I could do with a you having a go at my bonnet, rest of the car doesn't really need it thankfully.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep very true Rs5ive.

Great job Robert, I thought it looked like a 2 day job on correction alone! If you don't mind me asking what did it cost the punter for just this part of the job? Don't worry my car's in no were near that state, I'm just intrigued ;)

Hope your be offering a bit of discounted detailing at Jen's planned APS meet? I could do with a you having a go at my bonnet, rest of the car doesn't really need it thankfully.
The owner paid the amount stated, correction itself is usually charged at £35+ / hour.

The day at "APS" (if it goes ahead) will consist of a demo, obviously with time scales a full car will not be corrected. Also teaching some techniques to keep your car in good condition (wash techniques, some do's and dont's).

There might be tuition days at some point, but will most likely be on a 1-2-1 basis.

A lot of detailers would probably have let this job take two days, the extent of the defects if i had seen previously I would have probably booked for two days, but concentrating and hard work got it to conclusion within a day.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
another great result Robert. top work mate :)

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I'm no expert Billy but it will be down to the pad and compound of polish you're using. I'd suggest you get some advice on this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is my car....

Don't really need to say anything about the job Robert did, as the pictures speak a thousand words...

As he said I was and still am over the moon with how the car looks now, and despite comments above the car still looks as good as when Robert left it.

Thanks again Robert, and I took up your advice on the Dodo Juice!:thumbsup:

Cheers

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm no expert Billy but it will be down to the pad and compound of polish you're using. I'd suggest you get some advice on this.
Not just pad and compound combination, but can be technique as well, I didnt know Megs did a Rotary, thought they only did a Dual Action :ninja: and if it is a DA, then you will struggle.

This is my car....

Don't really need to say anything about the job Robert did, as the pictures speak a thousand words...

As he said I was and still am over the moon with how the car looks now, and despite comments above the car still looks as good as when Robert left it.

Thanks again Robert, and I took up your advice on the Dodo Juice!:thumbsup:

Cheers
It seems to be a common theme with negative comments towards the owners, as the owner of another car i detailed on here as seen comments made about his car (or how he treats his car) and was unhappy.

At the end of the day, everyone is in a different situation, some people have the time to clean their cars all the time, some work all over the place to the extent they live in their cars. Its not for everyone else to judge the owner, and in this case the blame is aimed at the dealer and how they allowed the car to leave.

Which Dodo Juice products did you get ?

And im glad you still happy :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
lovely car, i want those wheels ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts