Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya I'm just wondering what ignition coils people have upgraded to from there stock fit on a Audi a5 2l TFSI engine, B8. I was told that the R8 ignition packs fit! can anyone confirm this for me ? Many thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hiya I'm just wondering what ignition coils people have upgraded to from there stock fit on a Audi a5 2l TFSI engine, B8. I was told that the R8 ignition packs fit! can anyone confirm this for me ? Many thanks
What are you seeking from upgraded ignition coils ? do you have firing issues with stock ones (ie worn) or have you modified to the point you need a much stronger spark beyond stock coils ?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I don't know how upgrading the ignition coils would do much performance wise.

You only need a stronger spark if the gap is so wide, that the normal voltage from a normal coil isn't enough for the electric to jump and thus generate a spark. So unless you're running some crazy boost or really rich air/fuel, all you're doing is paying more for the red plastic on the R8 instead of the black plastic.

I can wear Michael Jodan's shoes, but that doesn't mean I will be able to dunk.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't know how upgrading the ignition coils would do much performance wise.

You only need a stronger spark if the gap is so wide, that the normal voltage from a normal coil isn't enough for the electric to jump and thus generate a spark. So unless you're running some crazy boost or really rich air/fuel, all you're doing is paying more for the red plastic on the R8 instead of the black plastic.

I can wear Michael Jodan's shoes, but that doesn't mean I will be able to dunk.
+1, I'm running stock coils on a stage 2 A8l 3.0T 430HP, no sign of the factory coil packs struggling to ignite at increased boost levels

Even with the crank pulley I'd doubt a coil upgrade would be in order

·
Registered
141 Posts
Maybe OP means upgrade for view. The R8 red coils look better and same reason some people fit carbon trims in the engine bay 😁

Yes they fit but its overkill

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
Well said Sayek!!! I agree....

Reactions: sayek

·
Registered
2013 A5 2.0tfsi
1 Posts
Red Top coils are more than just a color change from black to read.

Here is what HSTuning had to say about the Red Top R8 coils:

"For those of you looking for more technical data on these coil packs, here is what we've found so far with our bench ( oscilloscope ) testing:

1) These coils can be used on your FSI/TSI engine at ANY level of modification. They function just as well on a dead stock car as a highly modified one.

2) They are NOT the same coils with red housings. The secondary circuit on the R8 coils has a higher resistance (more windings) than the stock coils. In fact the secondary circuits were slightly closer to the Okadas we tested than the secondary of the stock coils.

3) We tested these between 12 and 16 volts (remember if your alternator is charging properly the input will be right around 14). We tested them between 200 and 16,000rpm. The stock coils started to misfire at a much lower rpm than the R8's with a stock spark plug gapped @ .032".

4) The spark was visibly brighter and more intense on the R8's when compared to the stock coils @ every rpm we compared in the stock rev range. We didn't compare anything under 1,000rpm.

5) We were able to open the gap on the plugs much further with the R8's than the stock plug with out misfiring at the same rpm/voltage.

6) Here is what we were finding as an AVERAGE on the secondary circuit for each of the coils.

Stock: 3.3 M ohms
5 cylinder coils: 4.75 M ohms
R8's: 5.31 M ohms
Okadas: 6.2 M ohms"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts