Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a stock a5 2010 2.0 TFSI and I’m planning to get a stage 1 remap. I’m being promised around 250 bhp which is a nice upgrade from the stock 180 bhp

I’ve had the car repaired for the common oil consumption issues, so that’s one concern off my mind. But I’m just a little worried that the stock car will struggle with the remap or that it may damage the engine as there’s quite a jump in the power.

Anyone have any experience with this? I’d love a remap, but I don’t want to be damaging my car if it can’t handle the power outage as everything apart from the air filter is stock.

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Stage 1 should be fine with all other stock components. However, given your car is 11 years old, everything will just wear out faster since the engine will run hotter (richer fuel mix), so give the car more time to cool off after a hard run. The turbo, water pump, intake are all prone to failure on this engine. The wastegate on the turbo seems to be troublesome, while the water pump/intake and basically all other coolant components fail due to the extreme use of plastic that becomes brittle and crack easily.

Computer simulations are so good nowadays, engineers can design component to specific heat ranges and number of heat cycles at the lowest cost. Remap on a new engine and you may not see the impact in the first few years, but for a car that's 11 years old, it'll be like a 60 year old office worker who suddenly plays in the premier league.

That said, I had a 2001 VW Golf TDI that I remapped brand new, and that engine was still going strong after 130K+ miles. The transmission gave up first, but then it was the notorious 01M transmission.

·
Registered
Audi A5 f5 3.0 TDI Quattro S line S tronic Virtual Cockpit Driving assist pack
889 Posts
Definitely voicing the above comment.

Just understand that as the car gets older, with wear and tear it usual for things to be replaced. However any remap will undoubtedly add further load and increase wear and tear from the drivetrain, transmission all the way to the wheels. That’s just how it is. Any weak links will be further exemplified b

Just go into it with an open mind. Fun factor vs cost factor👍🏻👀

~Alex

·
Registered
3 Posts
ive got the exact same car and had the stage 1 remap 2 years ago it is like night and day diffrence and i just keep the car regularly serviced and havent had any problems since having it done

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bought a 2009 2.0i 210bhp version last Oct. Little search and tuning companies promise around 260bhp which looked decent power boost for around £500.
Mine is the FWD version and noticed any sign of wet road the wheel spins in 1st/2nd gear so the remap will only make it worse. I suppose if I had the Quattro version maybe considered it.

At this age the turbo and clutch/DMF if still original will be very tired. If these 2 parts come to end of its life and they will cost few ££££ to repair.

I suppose a power boost from 180 to 250 will transform the cars performance so you will have to decide on the risk vs fun :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the comments guys, very wise words coming from you guys, much appreciated 💯

More than likely going to get it done, that power jump just sounds too fun, even if I end up ruining the turbo. I don’t drive the car as much as I should, and mileage just hit 60k. Just going to have to make sure I take good care of the car and don’t push it to crazy limits daily!

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Burks mate that car looks and sounds very good for 11 years. These cars are generally very strong, and as the guys say you need to keep an eye on her if you go for the upgrade and cost in a second oil and filter change per annum, for instance, as well as treat her gently!!! My old A5 was still going strong at 200k kms!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts