Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, i have an aud a5 2008 with the multitronic, it has 61 000km, and im thinking about keeping or selling the car, i love the looks but im worried about the multitronic, is it really that bad? if you have it how many milles or kilometers you put on it? thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you owned this vehicle for a long time and have followed recommended service schedule, or have records from previous owners for same? If gearbox fluid changes have been performed at least once in the 60k KM that would give me some comfort. I think that fluid change was expected at 55k KM, did you do it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you owned this vehicle for a long time and have followed recommended service schedule, or have records from previous owners for same? If gearbox fluid changes have been performed at least once in the 60k KM that would give me some comfort. I think that fluid change was expected at 55k KM, did you do it?
no i actually havent i schedule it for the next week

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
I drove mine from about 100k up to 200k kilometers and I had zero gearbox or engine issues.

Reactions: savs

·
Registered
365 Posts
The CVT transmission probably has the worst reputation here in the U.S. for reliability. The 4-cylinder TSI engines had problems in the early years, but I hear the 6-cylinder engine is pretty solid. Only problem is if you ever need to change the timing chain (due to stretching around 100K miles), then you gotta take the whole engine out and that costs around $3 - 5K USD.

Maybe we're not as diligent about maintenance here, but my experience with my VAG cars is that if you maintain them as designed, they will last as designed (warranty period). If you want the car to last past the warranty period, then you probably need to do the fluid changes/parts updates more often.

I had my MK4 Golf TDI for almost 18 years, it was very fun car to drive, but I spend almost every weekend the last 2 - 3 years fixing little problems here and there. Same with my 2009 A3 2.0 TSI. My 2013 A5 is starting to have issues (leaks/whines/etc) at 84K miles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello guys, i have an aud a5 2008 with the multitronic, it has 61 000km, and im thinking about keeping or selling the car, i love the looks but im worried about the multitronic, is it really that bad? if you have it how many milles or kilometers you put on it? thanks!
I had a 2.7tdi A5 with the Multitronic box. Personally the multitronic is the nicest auto i've driven. Very smooth. I had over 120km on the gearbox, trouble free.
Like a lot of things, these boxes are only reliable as long as they are serviced. If the car is new to you, change the gearbox fluid. After then change every 30k miles. Its all about the fluid change with these boxes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts