Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an Audi A5 3.0TDI with the ULEZ expanding next year my car will no longer be allowed on streets, is it possible to retrofit to Euro 6 and how much would it cost ?

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts
Nope, even if you figured out how to do all the hardware changes, you'd never get it approved as you'd essentially have to reregister the car as a new build and then have the emissions validated. Not possible without near government level backing sadly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hence the reason I got rid of mine before ULEZ came in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got an Audi A5 3.0TDI with the ULEZ expanding next year my car will no longer be allowed on streets, is it possible to retrofit to Euro 6 and how much would it cost ?
My understanding is that the car isn't banned, but you'll be mugged £12.50 plus the congestion charge, £11.50, a total of £24 by TFL :(

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's quite funny (not) to see that solutions were already on the table some time ago but never materialised or simply vanished...

Yet, some manufacturers seem surprisingly willing to sort out their mess without making (even more) money out of it: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-daimler-emissions-clients-idUSKCN1WL075
Now, that's all very nice for our German Mercedes owners friends but what about the rest of us?!?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ive heard that the ULEZ will be pushed out to the M25 in the next 5 or 6 years as all the London boroughs outside the North and South circulars don't want the polluting cars either. This is the reason I got shot of my two very low mileage VW diesels while they still had a decent value. I'm now paying the price though as my A5 2.0 TFSI DSG Quattro has absolute shite fuel consumption even compared to my Mk2 2.0 TFSI Tiguan 4motion.

Mick

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is from the TFL website regarding the ULEZ:-

General Info, where it operates, daily charges etc:-
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/ulez-where-and-when
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/cars

Currently operates within the current congestion charge zone (see map in 1st link).

From Oct 2021 will be expanded up to North & South Circular. “All cars within the expanded zone will need to meet the ULEZ emissions standards or pay a daily charge.”

Charges for Cars (if ULEZ standards NOT met)
Daily ULEZ charge: £12.50

A daily charge runs from midnight to midnight. If you drive within the ULEZ area across two days, for example before midnight and after midnight, you will have to pay two daily charges.
These are in addition to any Congestion Charge that applies – currently at £11.50 daily charge for driving a vehicle within the charging zone between 07:00 and 18:00, Monday to Friday. https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge

There are discounts/exemptions, but appear to be limited:-
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/discounts-and-exemptions

I can’t find anything about extending out to the M25, although I do recall seeing news articles hinting at such a move, but that’s probably the editors getting carried away!

Something to bear in mind, there’ll be a new mayor in the next few years so things ‘may’ change, however with the current focus on climate change I can’t imagine anything will change with regard to relaxation……more than likely will be the opposite.

All the above is for London, however everyone else needn’t breathe a sigh of relief as there’s plenty of other authorities watching & planning to introduce similar schemes…….after all, ignoring the environment part of all this, it’s a good revenue raiser.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bath City Council had an overwhelmingly large response from residents who opposed the proposals and the council will reconsider. They wanted to charge all residents including businesses 9 pounds a day.

In regard to the original post I recently sold a late 2013 2.0TDI A3 for the same reason, that it would incur a charge both in London which I visit often and in Bath. Before selling I asked Audi Germany to send me a detailed emissions spec sheet (called a certificate of conformity) for my car which actually met some of the conditions for ULEZ/Euro 6 cars. When I tried to argue the case with TFL they asked me to get the car independently tested among other expensive and time consuming things, it seemed very inflexible and difficult to achieve those tasks.
The end result for me is that it gave me the reason to finally update to an A5 2.0 TFSI quattro which I was planning to get at some point. It is odd that a higher CO2 emissions car is allowed while a very clean diesel in real terms like the A3 is not. The emissions for the car were right on the limit but it wasn't accepted.

For the OP:
to the best of my understanding it is legally possible to approve your car if you retrofit a device that makes it conform to Euro 6 emissions. You would then have to take it to a facility that can perform a full emissions test and therefore issue you with a new certificate of conformity which you then have to submit to TFL for approval for your car to be exempt. Due to politics and marketing pressures I feel these cars will lose a lot of value (more than they have already) and you may not recoup the costs associated with this conversion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts