Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I collected my 1.8T S-Line last week and in the service manual it refers to the service intervals etc for a 2.0TDI A5. It also refers to a TTS so therefore a A5 2.0TDI must be close to launch.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Well, the 2.0TDi will be going into the TT pretty soon (if it isn't already). Are you sure they didn't just mix up your service intervals for the TT's?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The A5 2.0TDI (170BHP) WILL BE AVAILABLE TO ORDER FROM AUDI DEALERS IN IRELAND FROM 1ST WEEK IN MARCH. PRODUCTION BEGINS WEEK 14 , START OF APRIL. DEALERS HERE ESTIMATING €55K.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I collected my 1.8T S-Line last week and in the service manual it refers to the service intervals etc for a 2.0TDI A5. It also refers to a TTS so therefore a A5 2.0TDI must be close to launch.
How are you finding the 1.8TFSI powerwise?

·
Registered
9 Posts
1.8T Power

I have my 1.8T for about three weeks - took it for a trip to Limerick last weekend and was pleased with the power. I had a BMW 320d 163bhp, so there is actually a bit more power in the A5. Torque in the 320 was much higher and this is reflected in the fact that you really do need to drop down the gears for overtaking.

Compared to my previous Audi, which was a 2.0 130bhp (2001) it is very pleasant to drive.

·
Registered
714 Posts
VincentM - many thanks for posting. There are a few of us on here who have ordered 1.8Ts without actually having driven them (pretty stoopid, huh?) and who are gagging for more info.

Your comparisons are really useful - was the 320d the standard saloon (E92 or whatever)?

Although you mention needing to drop gears to overtake, do you still find the 1.8T is pretty nimble at getting from say 40mph up to 60mph?

Is engine noise nice and subdued in the cabin?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was in the same boat - I ordered the car in Oct - not only had I not driven it, I had no idea what the price would be :D I finally got it on 9th January. I had been pestering the dealer for the whole of the previous week, and had a blow by blow account of where the car was at any point in time :)

Yeah the 320d was the standard saloon, manual gearbox.

Not sure how to address the question on the 40-60 mph mark - a lot depends on expectations. In the diesel I could be in 6th at 40 and floor it and it would take off - great for overtaking slow cars. In the A5 at 40 in 6th, you don't get the same take off. In 5th it is a little better, but I like to overtake quickly so I would drop to either 4th or 3rd.

On my weekend trip, there was a lot of traffic, so I was only doing around 50-60 mph a lot of the time - off motorways. A couple of things I noticed

- Fuel economy for trip averaged about 6.9l/100km (around 41mpg) with a light foot and mainly country roads. As the car has less than 1000km on the clock, I expect this will improve as the car gets run in.

- Cabin noise is ok, but I have the bluetooth phone kit and using the voice dialing is hit or miss when at higher speeds. I found it hard to hear the voice-promt, and had to speak louder to have numbers/names register. I would say it is quieter than the BMW at similar speeds. Any noise it not engine related, it is wind - and it has been very windy in Ireland over the last few weeks.

The one thing I was a little concerned about was the handling - the BMW was RWD and the 1.8T is FWD. My previous Audi I found quite nose-heavy going around roundabouts and on twisty roads. I have to say I am pleased with the A5 in this regard. Pretty much as easy to drive as the 320d.

Overall a very happy camper :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Gambino - when the dealer told you the expected price for the 2.0TDi, is this the price before July or after - if the CO2 is similar to the 170bhp engine in the A4, then it will have a lower VRT. Makes it a very attractive purchase. I would have gone for the diesel, but at the time they had no info and I didn't want to wait :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Vincentm- €55K was quoted as a pre july price, Audi Ireland are quoting €48k-€49k post July. It will be interesting to see if used diesel values are affected. With prices for new petrol models rising I cant see the dealers offering more for used petrol trade in's. Maybe I'm just cynical! Did you buy your car from Sheey's in Naas?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi Vincentm- €55K was quoted as a pre july price, Audi Ireland are quoting €48k-€49k post July. It will be interesting to see if used diesel values are affected. With prices for new petrol models rising I cant see the dealers offering more for used petrol trade in's. Maybe I'm just cynical! Did you buy your car from Sheey's in Naas?

Im going to order a tdi for delivery as soon as possible after june 30th. Great value at under 50k. The 1.8T is actually dropping by 400 euro (in ireland) after june. It is quite a clean engine.
The resale on the petrols could suffer as id say used they will become 3-4k cheaper than diesel ones when about two years old.

·
Registered
11 Posts
AUDI A5 2.0TDi ? - ANY MORE NEWS ?

Hello - I'm new to this site - this is my first post. Does ANYONE have any up to date news on whether Audi intend to offer a 2 litre diesel engine option in the A5 ? I am desperate to order the car but as a Company Car driver the Co2's on the 2.7 make it very expensive to have. So far therefore I have delayed ordering my new car in the HOPE ( please ) that a 2litre variant will be available soon. I'm told that there is already great demand for such a car in the UK among Company Car drivers and that the leasing companies are shocked that Audi have not yet responded to this. I drive an A6 a present - 2.0TDi and it seems to cope ok with this biger / heavier car. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY IDEAS AND OFFER ME SOME HOPE THAT I MAY NOT NEED TO WAIT MUCH LONGER ??:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
2.0TDi ENGINE PREVIEWING IN GENEVA

Is there any prospect of the engine unvieled for the TTS to be adopted for the Audi A5 ???- 170 bhp / 50mpg and Co2's of around 145g sounds great and competitive with BMW 3 series coupe 2litre diesel variant.:confused:

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Is there any prospect of the engine unvieled for the TTS to be adopted for the Audi A5 ???- 170 bhp / 50mpg and Co2's of around 145g sounds great and competitive with BMW 3 series coupe 2litre diesel variant.:confused:
It will probably happen at some point, like they did with the A4, Audi usually ends up offering their models with as many engine combinations as possible. The thing with coupes is that the lower engines are produced later as to keep the coupe more exclusive when it first gets released. Thats why here in the UK S5 and 3.0TDI were the only one you could order for the first 6 months. Now you have 2.7 TDI, 3.2 V6 FSI and 1.8 TFSI.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Can't see it arriving in the A5 in that config. I know nothing about engines but what I do know is that the A5 and TT have the engines mounted differently (the platform for the TT/A3 is transverse which fits well with DSG whereas its longitudinal in the A5). Also, the TT is much lighter which has a big bearing on efficiency.

Consider the 2.0Tdi in the new A4 and it looks like a bit of a dog (at least as far as putting it in a coupe/GT goes ... 0-60 in 9.5 secs is probably fine for the more modest part of the saloon sector but not for coupes). Any 2.0Tdi for the A5 will be based on this same basic lump but it'll need some tweaking to make a suitable engine for the A5 and I'll guarantee that'll make both the cost and the emissions go up. There's also the tricky consideration of price point. On the A4 the current 2.0Tdi is about £1500 more than the 1.8T and I'd expect this to increase if they put a more powerful 2.0Tdi in the A5, so I guess you'd be looking at about £30k for a 2.0Tdi A5 Sport (assuming they strip the xenons like they did on the 1.8T). Remove the multitronic and xenons from the 2.7 and you end up in the same ball park.

Considering that in the UK diesels are back to attracting the extra 3% regardless of EU IV status, what is it about the 1.8T that puts you off? I'm pretty confident you'll actually end up paying more in tax (and PUCs given a higher list price) for a 2.0Tdi that's slower and noisier than a 1.8T. On the other hand the 2.0Tdi should be guaranteed to have a greater range (i.e. miles per tank) and better mid-range grunt.

I am, of course, rather biased having ordered a 1.8T.

I'm sure Audi will release a 2.0Tdi some time this year but no announcement at Geneva seems to indicate it's unlikely in the next few months (this is where someone posts an article from Fourtitude or some such announcing the new 2.0Tdi A5!).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for your reply - I have no objection to the 1.8. My problem is that our Company car scheme insists that we only drive diesels ( trying to be environmentally friendly !! ). Been also looking at the 320d coupe but the A5 is such a good looking car that I know that if I have the BMW I will regret it. Will probably order the 2.7tdi unless something is announced soon :confused:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Bummer on the diesel only front, although my last 2 cars have been diesels and had the 2.0TDi been available I probably would have taken it over the 1.8T (despite my comments above - hypocrite, eh?)

The engine in the 320d coupe is, in my opinion, an absolute marvel. As I've posted previously, it's a shame there isn't the Bimmer's engine in the A5's body. I was going to use a wife/girlfriend analogy but I think I'll refrain ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
and another week goes bye and still no news..............help !!!!

Does ANYONE out there have any more news on a 2.0 Tdi ???!!!

Calling Ireland, Belgium and the Rest of the World:confused: :( :(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts