Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have recently purchased a Audi A5 2.0 TFSI 2012 and it’s shaking while idling. The check engine light comes & goes only a couple of time when engine is worm and only on idling. I have done the service & change the spark plugs & coil pack as the mechanic advice me, after the problem is still present. There is no performance issue while driving or if the rpm is above 1000. The mechanic said the fuel pump in tank is switching on & off on idling and not giving enough fuel hence shaking, so he will need to replace it. Can anyone advise me please?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would ask your mechanic to scan the car and get any fail codes that have been generated. There should be DTC codes (diagnostic trouble codes) that help point in the direction of the failing system/ sensor/ part. That is the very first thing to do. Then post codes here. Someone may have had the fault and the solution.
You cannot go throwing more parts if you (or your mechanic) don't know the issues. It could be something as simple as a sensor that needs replacing. If your mechanic cannot scan the car, then someone here may be able to help, or find a better garage who can, or pop into Audi as they will scan the car before they start any work.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Savs,
Thank you for the quick advice, the mechanic scanned it before and said the coil pack needs to get change and after there was no fault, I went for a test drive and same thing happen again so he scanned and said the fault is related to fuel pump in tank. I will ask him the fault code & post it.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Saba mate, you ideally need a technician with the VCDS software. This will scan and report ALL of the fault codes. Ideally you note them all and then reset them, the system will then report just the remaining codes and you godda look at these. Good luck mate!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saba mate, you ideally need a technician with the VCDS software. This will scan and report ALL of the fault codes. Ideally you note them all and then reset them, the system will then report just the remaining codes and you godda look at these. Good luck mate!!
Thanks for your reply SimonRoma. He scanned it before as show that it was misfiring and how many of each was misfiring, after changing the coil pack there where no codes, now it’s not misfiring but shaking on idling and eml flash couple of time, this time he scanned and said the car is idling the fuel pump is not working properly hence it’s shaking, when I rave it to more than 1000rpm there is no fault. The car runs absolutely normal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dear All,
The diagnose was showing the following faulty code before shown in the below picture.

After changing all the following
1) Bosch coil pack all 4
2) Delphi spark plugs all 4
3) Injector number 1 Bosch
The car is now giving a trouble in cold start and shakes on idling. Only when the engine is hot. Rest of the time it’s fine. On scanning the diagnose it’s showing the below fault code.
1) P030100- cylinder 1 misfire detected.
2) P030000- Random multiple miss fire detected.
Can someone advise if the injector could be faulty of should I swap the injector around. Does the injector number needs to match or it can be different? Or any other suggestions?

·
Registered
368 Posts
So the car runs fine after it's warmed up and idling? Try to get a scope to see if your valves for cylinder 1 have excessive carbon buildup. When carbon gets hot, it gets softer and the valves can make a good seal. When cold, the valves can't completely close.

Cheapest way to fix carbon buildup is to use a can of CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner. It fixed my cold idling misfire issue. It's not 100% but it's only $15.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the car runs fine after it's warmed up and idling? Try to get a scope to see if your valves for cylinder 1 have excessive carbon buildup. When carbon gets hot, it gets softer and the valves can make a good seal. When cold, the valves can't completely close.

Cheapest way to fix carbon buildup is to use a can of CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner. It fixed my cold idling misfire issue. It's not 100% but it's only $15.
Hi Findalex,
The car starts in one go & runs fine when it’s cold, when it’s hot then it takes 2 or 3 time to start and takes some rounds as well while starting. It also shakes & misfire on idling only when it’s hot. I have change the injector as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a really similar issue with mine and followed the same fault finding route, although mine was cylinder 2. Mine would also misfire under load, about 3.5k rpm. Does yours do this at all?
It turned out this was all due to a crankshaft becoming warn.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If the car runs poorly when hot, then I would also look at vacuum leaks. When things get hot, the vacuum tubes/pipes expand and the vacuum leak would be too much for the ECU to compensate.

The PCV is a prime candidate because it has a rubber diaphram that likes to get ripped/torn after 50K miles or so. Try these instructions: How to Check and Replace your 2.0t TSI PCV Valve - Articles - Deutsche Auto Parts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a really similar issue with mine and followed the same fault finding route, although mine was cylinder 2. Mine would also misfire under load, about 3.5k rpm. Does yours do this at all?
It turned out this was all due to a crankshaft becoming warn.
Hi Jolly,
Thanks for the reply.
I the the misfiring and the shaking problem when the engine is hot. When it’s cold it’s absolutely fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the car runs poorly when hot, then I would also look at vacuum leaks. When things get hot, the vacuum tubes/pipes expand and the vacuum leak would be too much for the ECU to compensate.

The PCV is a prime candidate because it has a rubber diaphram that likes to get ripped/torn after 50K miles or so. Try these instructions: How to Check and Replace your 2.0t TSI PCV Valve - Articles - Deutsche Auto Parts
Thanks a lot Fidalex,
The link is very helpful. I would check that too with my one.
My one is showing cylinder 1 misfire, and there is no whistle sound. I have change just one fuel injector which is a Bosch 1. I did not check if the others where Bosch or Delphy? Would it matter & and also does it need coding? Please let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,
I have changed 1 out of my 4 fuel injector on a Audi A5 2.0 tfsi. Does it requires coding and if yes do I need to do coding on just the one I change or all 4 of them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi

Thanks for the reply,
The car runs absolutely perfect, just on idling it misfire keeps shaking & check engine management light flashes couple of times when it’s warm.
Next thing the mechanic says is to change the cylinder number 1.
Really struggling to find the exact problem, please advise, thanks

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Like another guys suggested above, start with the basics.
1. Run a can of Redex or STP thro your fuel system to clean the injectors. See how the car runs.
2. New set of plugs and plug leads. See how she runs.
3. Change all 4 injectors (or the 3 you have not) so you have 4 identical new ones. See how she runs.
4. Fit a new air filter.
5. Change the oil and filters.

Etc etc. One step at a time always and I suggest you always change a set and not an individual part.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Like another guys suggested above, start with the basics.
1. Run a can of Redex or STP thro your fuel system to clean the injectors. See how the car runs.
2. New set of plugs and plug leads. See how she runs.
3. Change all 4 injectors (or the 3 you have not) so you have 4 identical new ones. See how she runs.
4. Fit a new air filter.
5. Change the oil and filters.

Etc etc. One step at a time always and I suggest you always change a set and not an individual part.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi SimonRoma,
Thanks for your reply, really appreciate,
I have done the full service with oil+oil filter, air filter, all 4 spark plugs.
After all this The issues did not resolve, So I change all 4 coil pack, after this there where 2 fault code. P0301 & P0300
Cylinder 1 was always showing the issues so o change cylinder 1 injector. Still no luck.
Now my mechanic did the compression test and it’s good. He took about the spark plugs But all the 4 spark plugs looks like it’s not been changed for a while, which I did just a month ago.
He says there is something not right with the fuel supply. The injector should look so bad.
Any suggestions?
Regards,
Saba

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Saba mate this really needs Audi Sherlock Holmes to help!!! Did you fit good spark plugs like NGK or similar???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SimonRoma,
Yes I did put the original once from a Audi/VW supplier, looks like it’s burning too much fuel, can you suggest if it could be one of the below?
Idle Air control valve
Purge valve
Fuel pressure regulator
Intake manifold
Throttle body
Mass Air flow sensor/cleaning it
PVC air/oil separator
Regards,
Saba

1 - 19 of 19 Posts