Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, recently bought myself a 2010 S5 after having the car a couple of weeks the engine light come on, it was cat below threshold or sumert along those lines, took it to my local garage and they said both cats are scrap, the car has done 90k miles, any suggestions on what i should do? De-cat? Sports-cat, oem-cat? Which companies are best to contact for the new cats? Regards ryan

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Ello mate please put up some photos of yer car cos we wanna see the motor and not you!!!!! Is the local garage an Audi Stealer or an independent service guy you can trust.......more details please!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi all, recently bought myself a 2010 S5 after having the car a couple of weeks the engine light come on, it was cat below threshold or sumert along those lines, took it to my local garage and they said both cats are scrap, the car has done 90k miles, any suggestions on what i should do? De-cat? Sports-cat, oem-cat? Which companies are best to contact for the new cats? Regards ryan
Ello mate please put up some photos of yer car cos we wanna see the motor and not you!!!!! Is the local garage an Audi Stealer or an independent service guy you can trust.......more details please!
na id say i can trust them mate, a gargae iv known for years, is this a common problem?

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Well thats the point!! My A5 was at 190k kms and my S4 is now at a similar number and I never heard of cats needing replacement. Perhaps yes when the car hits 15 or 20 years, but not yet.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thats the point!! My A5 was at 190k kms and my S4 is now at a similar number and I never heard of cats needing replacement. Perhaps yes when the car hits 15 or 20 years, but not yet.....
What else do you think it could be mate?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2009 with 102,000 miles on it and it just threw code P0421 AUDI - Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1. I'm going to take it in tomorrow morning and I'll let you know what they think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2009 with 102,000 miles on it and it just threw code P0421 AUDI - Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1. I'm going to take it in tomorrow morning and I'll let you know what they think.
Ye thats what mine came up with, thanks mate

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ye thats what mine came up with, thanks mate
They ran a diag and found that the cats weren't performing as well as they should (could have been O2 sensors). I had the option of either running a cleaner through the system to try and knock off carbon inside or do a full replacement of the cats. I went with the flush, the CEL is off, and it only cost me about $220. Just labor for the cat replacement is $1,800.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They ran a diag and found that the cats weren't performing as well as they should (could have been O2 sensors). I had the option of either running a cleaner through the system to try and knock off carbon inside or do a full replacement of the cats. I went with the flush, the CEL is off, and it only cost me about $220. Just labor for the cat replacement is $1,800.
Ye iv run 2 bottles of cleaner off the shelf through mine and the code went, fingers crossed

·
Registered
98 Posts
The cats do go at some point. If they do, I suggest replacing them with straight pipes and relocate the new ones (200 cell aftermarket race cats) on the downpipes. JHM does a downpipe with a race cat on and also a straight pipe for replacing the original CAT. I advise you to do this because, the original cats are behind the engine and if you need to take them off, the engine has to come out. Also you could do a remap after you add the race cats and you'll gain some additional HP.

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
The race cats, are they street legal and would I pass an MOT test......interesting, cos the original ones cost an arm and a leg.

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
True story for yas. An Italian guy I know is rich as hell and like many rich fellows he loves to save cash so he always buys used cars from famous folks, he had a Merc 500 2 seater and then picked up another, keeps them until they are really too old to perform. AND he is handicapped and he has polio so he cannot walk.
Long story short he was driving towards our office one morning and his cats caught fire!!!!
Well loads of cars flashed him and he saw the smoke so headed to the Merc dealer where he has the car serviced, when we drove in the car was on fire, some staff screamed at him to get out of the car whereas one mechanic recognised him so arrived with a fire extinguisher and managed to put the fire out, phew.
He survived....just.

·
Registered
98 Posts
True story for yas. An Italian guy I know is rich as hell and like many rich fellows he loves to save cash so he always buys used cars from famous folks, he had a Merc 500 2 seater and then picked up another, keeps them until they are really too old to perform. AND he is handicapped and he has polio so he cannot walk.
Long story short he was driving towards our office one morning and his cats caught fire!!!!
Well loads of cars flashed him and he saw the smoke so headed to the Merc dealer where he has the car serviced, when we drove in the car was on fire, some staff screamed at him to get out of the car whereas one mechanic recognised him so arrived with a fire extinguisher and managed to put the fire out, phew.
He survived....just.
Wtf??! Never heard of cats just burning like that. And to answer your question, yes, you will pass the mot with race cats. As far as I know anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts