Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried driving their cars with the ASR or ESP off? I never turned it off on my old S4 (I think it's the sort of thing that should be saved for track days, not for the public highway!) but wondered how much it would affect the handling on the A5/S5.

Any experience? Does the 40/60 torque split in the newer Quattro systems make any difference over the old 50/50?

Would your insurance company take a dim view if you had an accident and they discovered that the systems were switched off, especially given that you have to deliberately hold the button for 2 seconds to get the ESP off?

Just something I thought off when driving home tonight - again, I'll probably never turn it off, but wondered if anyone has tried it yet.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Yep... I tend to periodically turn the nanny off when I want to tank it round roundabouts because you can't put any power down when cornering hard... you are half way out of the roundabout before it let's the loud pedal be used again.... power carefully applied.. it scrabbles a bit, biting the tarmac for traction and gets away well... the split does show here as the rear end scrabbles, not the front. Much better than my old A6. Pushed too hard in a roundabout, you just get understeer... and lift off oversteer if you panic and lift too hard. thats OK in the roundabout, but lairy on the exit as you are travelling faster.

I haven't tried to hang the tail out, nor am I likely to on the public road... except perhaps from a standstill when coming out of a turning... or when it snows... plenty of doughnuts then!

I'm unsure about the insurance. I doubt they really have a leg to stand on as they don't insist on it and because the manufacturer allows you to turn it off, they must know this and would have to stipulate that you must use driver aids.

On the whole though, keep it on. They are remarkable capable systems and in an emergency really do help... I had a few moments in the A6 over the years and despite being a fairly well trained driver, I'm sure the aids helped rectify the situation.

·
Registered
186 Posts
In wintry conditions in the right places and also on wet pavement I like to turn it off and hit the gas and get a wee bit of rear end coming out. It's nothing like completely rear wheel driven cars... like my old 350Z that I could swing around corners easily and with full controll. Loved that car for playing but there was no comfort and it was too loud and too unpractical for every day use.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We had relatively deep snow recently in Belfast and we live on the side of a hill. Our street is a Cul-de-sac, which means it isn't gritted. I had to take my wife to the doctor. Of course when we got back, my A4 had NO chance getting up the hill. My neighbour in his RWD Saab fared even worse.

Then I switched ESP off and gunned the shit out of her in 3rd gear. We went up the hill at about 15mph (speedo thought we were doing about 60) :)

When I tried it with the ESP on, it cut the power when it detected the wheel spin, but without it I just floored it and up we went.

Anyways - I didn't care much, as my A5 was already ordered and the A4s going back to the lease company .... :p

See attached pic

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts