Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Even reliable cars can be unreliable, main thing with Audis is to make sure that critical fluid services have been done. Gearbox, Diffs, COOLANT, Brake, Oil. Then if higher kms your big ticket maintainence items (brake rotors, coil packs and spark plugs). Things like shock absorbers and suspension components as well start to fail at higher mileage.

· Registered
41 Posts
Any car of that age will need maintenance and fixes. A lot can happen in 11 years of ownership. I would investigate some common prices for regular maintenance (wheels, tyres, suspension components) and the most common or expensive failures (S-tronic gearbox, timing chain) and see if you are willing to spend that kind of money.

· Premium Member
3,818 Posts
How long is a piece of string??? In general Audi make good solid cars and they last well BUT all will depend on how the car has been looked after (or not).My V8 S4 is well past 200k kms and goes great, abd I have a FASH which surely helps!!!

· Registered
1 Posts
The V8 S5’s are now at least 10 years old.
I bought a 2010 4 years ago - 33k miles, 3 prev owners, records showed it pretty well looked after.
Have loved it very much.
Bought it with an all-in 5-yr warranty, and from the Audi dealer. The warranty was exhausted at the 3.5 year point - the warranty’s max payout value ($24k) tracked to what I paid for the car.
Major things can come up.
In my case: complete rear diff replacement ($11k), multiple fuel line issues and replacements, lots of issues with control bars and bushings, valve and coolant tank and line replacements. And then all the things that a warranty won’t cover (shot tires in a big city, yearly maint, etc).

I’m not sour - still love the car.
But now that i’m flying with no help to cover repair costs, I’m focused on next opp to sell and jump to the next car.
My repair guy - a recognized master mechanic for Audis and Porsches here in Los Angeles - didn’t mince words: sell it by 70k miles, it’s 12 years old, you’ve been super-lucky.

I would have sold earlier this year but with new car availability what it is here - and with EV car options, and fed and state support, stirring up soon - i’m waiting til sometime next year.

So I love this car - and it’s my 3rd Audi (first a 1st gen TT for 9 yrs with little drama; then a 2014 A5 I had for barely a year before I jumped to this). But I don’t have the wrench skills to avoid paying full freight on repairs for a 10+ year-old, medium high-performance German car.
So i’m holding my breath that I won’t get stung before I sell it: to someone that’s drawn by the mystique of “last of the German naturally-aspirated V-8s!” (And it is all of that, and that will definitely not come back).

Hey - If you’re anywhere near LA, maybe we can talk next year if you’re still looking…
J/K

1 - 5 of 5 Posts