Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

A while back people were getting elec seats even if they'd not ordered them. Someone said is was because Audi were having production problems with the manual seats, so in the meantime people were getting an upgrade to elec seats free.

Is this still happening? Has anyone received elec seats even thought they didn't order them since CHristmas?

If the answer is no, I'd appreciate some info from anyone on how they find the manual seats, in particular for access to the rear seat.

Thanks

Stoatie
(1.8 TFsi Sport, Quartz Gray, Pale Grey interior, 19'' Ys, Cruise Control, Zenon plus) Getting a Dension 500 fitted :)). Ordered 1st week Jan. delivery (allegedly) Mar 19th.

· Registered
714 Posts
I've seen more manual seats in dealerships since Christmas - previously I'd seen none. I suspect this means that seats ordered as manual will be delivered as such with no free upgrade (but I am guessing).

Having played with the manual seats and knowing that I'd regularly have passengers in the back seats then the electric seats became a must for me. If you're going to move the manual seats infrequently then they'll be fine - certainly much more adjustment than I've seen on other Audi models.

Best bet is to go down to the dealer and have a good play around. I got some strange looks as I repeatedly clambered in and out of the back seats and then got in the driver's seat but it was very useful in making my decision.

EDIT: Need to clarify that I still don't have an A5 yet - these comments are based on plenty of time playing in dealerships. Would be useful to get a view from longer term owners.

· Registered
151 Posts
they do have electric lumbar adjustment though.
Another good standard feature! More manufacturers should chuck in lumbar support at standard!;)

· Registered
1,696 Posts
Ordered manual seats, got manual seats. My car was delivered to my dealer on 21 Dec 07 (I didn't take delivery until 2 Jan 08 though) so I would think that if there was a problem initially, it's now sorted. My dealer had said that it was a possibility at the time I ordered (mid October 07) as they'd not seen any manual seats at that point, regardless of what was ordered. I'm not too fussed though as the manual seats work really well.

They DO remember the last position they were in - you pull the handle on the shoulder of the seat, the back tilts forward first before the seat base slides forward. It then locks in this position until you pull the seat backwards again at which point it goes through the reverse motion ie the seat base slides back to the original position first before the seat back then tilts back, again to its original position.

Seeing as I'm the only one who drives my car, the electric adjustment would just have been a waste of money for me as I don't need the memory function (although this only comes with the comfort pack anyway - and that's seriously expensive!) I also found the electric seats I tried in my dealer's car rather slow to tilt then slide forward - the manual ones are quicker. I had standard electric seats in my old S4 and hardly ever used them. The manual ones have plenty of adjustment as the seat base has a tilt adjustment as well as up/down and forward/back.

The manual ones do come with electric lumbar adjustment as audilad said, but no other electric motors. I find that access to the back is just fine - it can be a bit awkward getting out again if you're an adult and try to exit head-first. Far easier to come out backwards, but this isn't natural for most people. Younger kids will cope just fine, but you'll have to let them out.

Hope this all helps.

· Registered
714 Posts
Younger kids will cope just fine, but you'll have to let them out.
This is how I conned my wife into letting me have a coupe again ... safest child locks going :)

PS Another useful post, Scratch - thanks. The answer's in your post when you say the only motor is for the lumbar support but for the avoidance of doubt, the manual seats don't have an electric forwards/backwards switch a la BMW coupe. Billythefish was asking in an earlier post above and I thought it might help to state this explicitly as I was also unsure until I actually saw an A5 with manual seats.

· Registered
1,696 Posts
This is how I conned my wife into letting me have a coupe again ... safest child locks going :)
My wife wasn't too keen either - she wanted me to get an A4 Avant so that we'd have 4 doors and room for baby buggies etc (despite the lack of baby or kids as yet...) When I pointed out that she drives an SLK and my A5 was far more practical, that kind of won that argument! At least I've got 4 seats! Isofix as standard was also a winner. She's even hankering after a new-shape SLK as a replacement for her car - and my suggestion of a VW Touran or new Q5 didn't go down too well either...!

· Registered
714 Posts
You can't be ready for kids yet as the hormones aren't telling you there's something reassuringly safe about Volvos, 4x4's are a sensible vehicle for pootling around town and that Ford S-Max's are both stylish and practical.

If you do eventually have young 'uns then I'd thoroughly recommend investing in an ISOFIX seat. Dead easy to slot in and out and stays rock solid when in. Seats held in with seat belts can be fiddly to fit and tend to slide around, particularly on leather. The only downside I found with our Britax ISOFIX chair was that if you left it in too long it started to deform the seats, particularly where the fittings are.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.