Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having major issues with my 2012 S5 V8. Had a carbon cleaning done back in September at 55k miles and the car has run worse ever since.

Finally got it into my normal dealer and they sent me these pictures:

The dealer says the carbon cleaning was poorly done, I sent these pictures to the shop that did the cleaning and they said those are clean valves and the dealer is bullshitting me. What do you guys think? Had a misfire last week on this cylinder that the pictures are from and the dealer is saying the valves are not seating.

I miss when my car ran well...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would probably qualify as a novice when it comes to this, but this doesn't look too clean. It's not the dirtiest that I've seen either, but not terribly clean. How many miles since the cleaning was performed?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would probably qualify as a novice when it comes to this, but this doesn't look too clean. It's not the dirtiest that I've seen either, but not terribly clean. How many miles since the cleaning was performed?
I only put on about 2k miles if that. I'd be surprised if that much buildup could happen that quickly...

·
Premium Member
3,277 Posts
Mate you need to go back to the experts who did the cleaning and demand that they sort it out. I am no expert BUT is sounds and looks like they have done a half job, leaving some of the carbon bits in the valves and heads, hence the car now runs badly. Was is a carbon clean using just water and stuff, or was it an engine stripdown physical clean and how much did they charge???? They MUST give some kind of warranty to the work??

·
Registered
2012 S5
37 Posts
Been having major issues with my 2012 S5 V8. Had a carbon cleaning done back in September at 55k miles and the car has run worse ever since.

Finally got it into my normal dealer and they sent me these pictures:

View attachment 179285
View attachment 179286

The dealer says the carbon cleaning was poorly done, I sent these pictures to the shop that did the cleaning and they said those are clean valves and the dealer is bullshitting me. What do you guys think? Had a misfire last week on this cylinder that the pictures are from and the dealer is saying the valves are not seating.

I miss when my car ran well...
Did they walnut shell blast them or just run a chemical cleaning solution through the intake? I'm assuming they didn't actually take the intake manifold off and do the manual cleaning if they look like that. Your dealer will sand blast them with walnut shells which will make them look brand new. I think the walnut cleaning is over $800. That looks like they were done with a chemical cleaner which will clean them but not make them pristine. I had the same problem and ran a couple of cleaners from Autozone through it and my misfire code went away. I even hear a brief rattle and then a big puff of black smoke as a big chunk of carbon broke off and burned up. Now I just run that cleaner through at fairly regular intervals and I haven't had any further problems.

·
Registered
2012 S5
37 Posts
If that was done by walnut blasting I would say they did a really poor job. The walls are very clean but there is still a lot of buildup on the valves themselves which is to much for 2k miles in my opinion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for everyone's help on this. Just picked it up from the dealer after they did a proper cleaning and it is running at I'd say 95%, much smoother under hard acceleration but still a little hesitation every once and a while.

Based on this, and everyone's observations on those dirty ass valves, the shop that did the original cleaning did a half assed job. They claimed they walnut blasted and scraped, but it seems it was not enough. Again, thanks everyone and I am glad to have my car finally back.

·
Premium Member
3,277 Posts
Pig mate these guys are a bunch of idiots. Run a few bottles of STP or REDEX or similar thro the car and you will hopefully remove the remaining shit from the valves. Good luck and dont go back to these idiots PLEASE......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.