Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm a new Audi owner, I've been lurking around a bunch of other Audi forums trying to find other people in my geographic area, and to try to learn as much as I can from the collective experience of other people who've had more time with their Audis than I have.

While I'm new to Audi, I've owned or cared for several European cars in the past (Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Saab)... have had a stable of Japanese cars (Infiniti, Nissan, Toyota, Lexus, Subaru) and American cars as well, so I think I have a fair take on what are the relative pros and cons of cars representative of many manufacturers and from different parts of the world.

Now this group here at A5OC seems to be pretty accepting and appreciative of other cars... but what I think I'm seeing on these other forums, unfortunately, is that there's a stuck-up-ness about Audi cars in particular (understandable) and the IMO almost blind preception of superiority of German (Audi) cars over anything produced anywhere else, with the almost racial/ethnic issue driving it.

Personally, being of Asian decent, this makes me a little uncomfortable to read some of these comments about "Jap crap cars" etc.

Am I totally off base here? Has anyone else come across or see this?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I've never owned any other make of car except for Audi. However it has never made me feel that the brand is superior to others no matter what (which is the weird perception and radical views you get on other forums).

Prime example is www.autospies.com I actually think its a bunch of kids that are on this site.

I think also the reason this forum has a good and objective view point when it comes to other car makes is because you'll probably find that the average A5/S5 owner isn't actually up his own behind and doesn't actually feel his/her car is better than anything else, they bought the car because they loved it for what it was. My final car choice fell between the E92 M3 and the S5, in the end after seeing and driving the S5 in the flesh it was the one for me. It's not superior dynamically to the M3, but what it loses in dynamics it more than makes up for in the looks and comfort department.

I personally love Japanese cars, I had the new Nissan GT-R on order (since March 2007) but just couldn't wait any longer when I found that the car wouldn't land in the UK till June 2009. On top of that one of my all time favourite cars is actually the Honda NSX/NSX-R which I could easily have bought before the S5 had the fact that it has only 2 seats not been an issue for me. A bit off topic but attached a crazy 600 bhp NSX that for me just looks the business, spoilers a bit big but other than that...:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Interesting points Shady. I don't think Audi drivers are snobs, its natural enough that you are going to get some strong opinions, sometimes of a defensive nature on any brand car forum, after all who knows our cars better than we do ? But in the main I agree its wrong to use terms like 'Jap Crap'. This particular forum is pretty good really, we acknowledge that BMW make some great cars and the Nissan GTR is a beast any of us would be pleased to own. As the forum has grown so opinions have got stronger but most issues are 'in house' like me not liking people fitting S5 signature bits on A5's (always gets me into trouble when I mention that :rolleyes: ) or someone calling a 1.8 a 'poverty spec model (was light hearted but understandably could upset a 1.8 owner). I had a lexus RX300 for a while the Lexus forum was full of good people like on here - not up themselves as SAJ puts it, but BMW forums seem intolerant of other makes....Now if you'll excuse me, I must go and get ready for Ascot, Jeeves wheres my tails ;)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
most issues are 'in house' like me not liking people fitting S5 signature bits on A5's (always gets me into trouble when I mention that :rolleyes: )
That always makes me laugh...

or someone calling a 1.8 a 'poverty spec model (was light hearted but understandably could upset a 1.8 owner)
+1, although it still starts at like £28950.00 OTR which is hardly cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Shady,

I don't believe you'll experience any of what you descibed, on this forum. The difference being that the A5 and S5 clearly attracts people who are very mature, therefore you are unlikely to see any stuck-up-ness or derogatory comments towards owners of other marques.

I think the problem with other forums is the people they've attracted, whether they be young or immature. That is certainly not the case here.

It would be unfair to paint a picture of all audi owners just because what you're reading in online forums. After reading through many audi forums myself, and comparing the general attitude between those and other manufacturers, I can quite easilly come to the conclusion that other owners' clubs are far worse off (I wont name any forums).

Regarding remarks towards Japanese cars - Japan still makes the most reliable cars in the world. I've still got my '93 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo sitting outsite, and I love it... there be no derogatory remarks on here! :p :D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Japanese cars are either great or awful. Not much in between. Get a European designer in and couple that with Japanese technology and you often get a very good car. Let a Japanese designer style the car though and it just doesnt seem to work. At least not for the European market.

Asian cars will include some pretty awful examples and unfortunately some people measure everyone by the worst examples.

There has also been a tendency over the years for the "Asian" manufacturers to treat the UK (in particular) as the same as the US in terms of styling. US styling options rarely go do well in the UK but because we speak a common language there has been an assumption that we like the same things. Go back to the Rover/Honda link up days and you found the Honda was reliable but a bit ugly. Rover would take the same Honda and alter the styling and would sell ten times more. Modern Honda's though seem to have learnt from that (or American taste has improved ;) )

In this forum the majority love their cars but also appreciate the good things (and bad) about other cars.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I think there is some 'brand loyalty' of course, but I don't think people on here 'dismiss' other brands/regions... except the French of course. ;)

...I think if there is any 'stuck-up ness' around the German brands, it comes from the fact that they are renowned for making 'premium/executive cars' and so a bit like 'expensive' designer sunglasses, the 'nuveau riche' (hateful tossers) think that anything else is cheap and for the 'proliteriat'.

Personally, I'm glad there's wonderful variety out there, so there's cars for me and cars for the peasants too. ;) ;) ;)

...Only joking :D

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
i Think There Is Some 'brand Loyalty' Of Course, But I Don't Think People On Here 'dismiss' Other Brands/regions... Except The French Of Course. ;)

...i Think If There Is Any 'stuck-up Ness' Around The German Brands, It Comes From The Fact That They Are Renowned For Making 'premium/executive Cars' And So A Bit Like 'expensive' Designer Sunglasses, The 'nuveau Riche' (hateful Tossers) Think That Anything Else Is Cheap And For The 'proliteriat'.

Personally, I'm Glad There's Wonderful Variety Out There, So There's Cars For Me And Cars For The Peasants Too.

...only Joking :d

LMAO .....:eek:)

·
Registered
292 Posts
The 'Jap Crap' thing is historical (or hysterical). Remember it's only been a few decades that Japanese car manufacturers have had a global presence. Their cars in the 60s/70s/early 80s were at best poor and unreliable copies of other manufacturer's products. Today, they have caught up with and surpassed many of their competitors - but the reputation remains, perhaps mainly with slightly older people. It'll wash out eventually.

Personally, I don't particularly like most modern Jap cars. I admire their engineering and reliability, but the design and ergonomics just don't do it for me. I was in a Lexus recently - nice enough car, but I was put off as soon as I saw a button on the dash labelled 'trip computer'. Tacky!

Then there's the cars from Korea & Malaysia ........ !!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Personally, being of Asian decent, this makes me a little uncomfortable to read some of these comments about "Jap crap cars" etc.
No need to take it personally, or be thin-skinned. My ancestry is so muddled that I can only identify as "American", but I don't get offended when someone says that domestic cars are shit. I just agree with them.

I really, really don't see the need to bring racial/ethnic issues into the car discussion. It's very likely you've never met anyone promoting german cars because they're all about supporting the "master race".

·
Registered
435 Posts
We are in good shape on this forum because our site is fairly new and highly focused. We have been lucky so far with keeping the ridiculous people who just talk out of their a$$ because they get a feeling of euphoria after posting some sensasionalist comment littered with expletives and insults. Hopefully this will continue for a while. Also, the mods are awesome on this site. That helps a lot! That said, most people who can want and can afford our cars aren't snobs. We are car lovers that love the amazing balance of looks,performance, and comfort of our car. I don't think the brand really means much to any of us. If BMW or even Chevy put this car out, we would have salivated the same way.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Here's my humble opinion.

The people here are auto fans. They recognize a good car when they see or drive it.

While they may have had an Audi before, they understand the car and its capabilities, and its limitations.

What the fuss here is about is the "home run" that Audi has hit with this car. How many other auto forums do you read where the owners are remarking about all of the people checking out their car. Owners that have cars that out perform, and out-price, the Audi.

Don't get me wrong. I love my car and have no regrets whatsoever as to what it cost. It is so fun and rewarding just to walk up to it with the key in your hand, or in your pocket.

The best part is that when another car looks at you and gives you the "let's run" look, you can surprise most of them.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
[Originally Posted by ianhp1
i Think There Is Some 'brand Loyalty' Of Course, But I Don't Think People On Here 'dismiss' Other Brands/regions... Except The French Of Course.

C'est une honte que vous êtes si raciste. Pourquoi ne pas enfoncer votre tête en haut votre camarade de tuyau d'échappement:p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wot?!?:confused: (sorry I'm foreign by birth and don't understand that make of foreign...)
To add my tuppence worth to the chatter- one of the reasons I love my Audis is the distinct LACK of snobbery associated with the brand. I've owned VWs, a Nissan, a BMW and before I traded my A4 for an A5, I tried all sorts of "competitors" but just kept coming back to the one I know. Each to their own and thank goodness we are all different or imagine how long the wait for your order would take if everyone wanted an Audi....

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
[Originally Posted by ianhp1
i Think There Is Some 'brand Loyalty' Of Course, But I Don't Think People On Here 'dismiss' Other Brands/regions... Except The French Of Course.

C'est une honte que vous êtes si raciste. Pourquoi ne pas enfoncer votre tête en haut votre camarade de tuyau d'échappement:p
'
Moi? un racist? Mais non.

Ma tête... C'est trop grande!!

n'oubliliez pas Agincourt!! :p

·
Registered
750 Posts
Since I'm a new Audi owner, I've been lurking around a bunch of other Audi forums trying to find other people in my geographic area, and to try to learn as much as I can from the collective experience of other people who've had more time with their Audis than I have.

While I'm new to Audi, I've owned or cared for several European cars in the past (Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Saab)... have had a stable of Japanese cars (Infiniti, Nissan, Toyota, Lexus, Subaru) and American cars as well, so I think I have a fair take on what are the relative pros and cons of cars representative of many manufacturers and from different parts of the world.

Now this group here at A5OC seems to be pretty accepting and appreciative of other cars... but what I think I'm seeing on these other forums, unfortunately, is that there's a stuck-up-ness about Audi cars in particular (understandable) and the IMO almost blind preception of superiority of German (Audi) cars over anything produced anywhere else, with the almost racial/ethnic issue driving it.

Am I totally off base here? Has anyone else come across or see this?
I'm too good to answer this ...(just kidding)...

You'll find that every make and model has zealots, visit some BMW forums and they say Audis suck, go to some 350Z forums and they say Eruo cars suck...everyone wants to think they have the best/coolest/nicest/most unique cars, so it make some people feel better to say these things about "other" cars and their owners.

I have a bimmer and an Audi, both great cars...different but great...also had a Volvo S80 also a great car (still different but great), plus Rx7 and tons of other cars.... You have a very unique car, so you will get these kinds of comments. I have found exactly the opposite of snobs (with limited exceptions :D) with fellow Audi owners.

Enjoy your car, $cr3w the ones who are a$shole$. ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
ShadyJC: I just have to guess you're referring to either Audiworld and/or Audizine.

While I'm Asian by the family tree, I bare little resemblence to anything of my Chinese heritage; I've been told once I'm so American I don't know I'm suppose to be Chinese! I took that as a compliment actually.

I only cruised through Audizine and still not sure what to make of it. I can say that Audiworld A4 owners are loyal to the bone about their cars. It was evident when even as a VW Passat owner, on the B5 platform, they were calling our cars A4 wannabe's while some on VW Vortex were calling their cars expensive VW's! I found ClubB5.com (now Passatworld.com) after that major tiff. And then the VW crowd, mostly Jetta and GTI's called us Passat owners old-fart /snobs with money.

We bore the brunt of a lot of critisizm some 8-9 years ago but we had a lot of fun with our one model, the Passat. I go by HermanH over there and you'll see me there quite often. I still love that site more than any other hands down.

A5OC.com is much more civil and seems to have a lot of global appeal. I'm hoping the community grows in size and knowledge, but not deteriorate into something we're trying to avoid.

Audiworld.com I actually grew up with as A4.org from back in 98' soon after Jason Teller started it. One of the senior memebers there, Steve Sherwood, I had the great pleasure of not only talking to but he's always invited me to his impromptu luncheons with the NorCal Audi Club he headed up, depsite the fact I had the Passat. The group of Audi owners up here at the time were much more civilized. Those were some 8 years ago and I"ve never forgotten the some of the Audi crowd are really nice people.

These days I'm somewhat hardened by a lot of these places and they don't phase me at all anymore; you get used to this stuff being around the internet after some 16 years....

Audiworld does have an excellent tech site. The thing over there is to not get too heavy into debates. Latch onto those that really know what they're talking about. The rest are just background noise. If you really know what you're talking about and there's some idiots that clearly don't, then there's no use in talking to a wall; just sigh and move on. Knowledge can only be shared if one listens. (Again, it assumes one party or the other KNOWS what they're talking about.)

I would not be very concerned. No matter what you drive, you will always find people looking up at you as much as they look down on you.

I go to one of those "exotic" gatherings up here most Saturdays, driving my kit car and part next to Ferrari's, Vipers, Lambo's etc.... up here, everyone likes each other's cars. Somehow, we seemed to all get it: we're car enthusiasts no matter what we bring to the party... it's still a party!!! :D Hope this helps ease your concerns.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:rolleyes: sorry I forgot about this thread... interesting thoughts posted by everybody. To anyone who may have thought I was personally put off by some of the comments, I truly appreciate the comments and no worries - this thread was started more as an observation of what I saw and to start a conversation about something other than Audi's long delivery times. ;)

I agree that the posting on this forum has been far more mature than some other places I've visited and not a blinded "my car is best" attitude. Refreshingly, I think there is a real appreciation for quality of design or engineering in a vehicle, no matter where it comes from. I guess that's the difference between associating with true enthusiasts and a group of fanboys.

<group hug> I'm happy to be an Audi owner and happy to be here. :D </group hug>

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.