Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

are a5s that bad ?

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Rock bottom w/S5 
#1 ·
hi all. I fancy an a5 cabriolet for around 6k. I've seen a 1.8 petrol and a 2.7 diesel both around 100000 miles. just been looking and there are many horror stories about oil consumption, exploding timing chains and death rattles on auto boxes. are they really that bad ? should I look elsewhere? trouble is I need a car urgently and always fancied an a5 . just need a cruiser for summer days don't need 300 bhp been there got the t shirt. any help appreciated

#3 ·
There are horror stories with BMW, Merc and Audi 4 pot petrol models around 2008 to 2011.
I owned a 2010 BMW 320i for 5 years and that engine had horror stories of timiing chain & tension break. BMW forums packed with people crying. But it never happeded to mine. After that was stolen a year ago I looked at the Merc C class and read they also have horror stories of chain and tensioner.

My last stop was the Audi 2.0 petrol.Yes Audi have horror stories about oil consumption but only view cars if the seller can provide genuine Audi repair bill of either pistion rings repaired or engine replaced. Dont ever believe seller claiming its fine on oil consumption. There are plenty of TFSI models on the road.
I bought a 2L TFSI with engine replaced by Audi 40k miles ago and its currently using about 1L per 2000 miles.
IMO avoid auto on old cars as its another thing to go wrong..cant go wrong with manual.

Another thing i should metion is dont expect a car with 100K without few major repair dues. My 2009 A5 all 4 shocks were well overdue change.The front control arm bushes were not competely gone but certainly not in prime condition.

Do your homework before purchase and you be fine.

#6 ·
Supra EVERY car has some problems and the various blogs are always full of the guys who have or has those problems simply because folks who have good cars dont tend to complain!!!. If I were you avoid the 1.8/2.0 petrol engines UNLESS you have the proof that they have been sorted. Seek the 3.0 diesel which is mainly bulletproof, auto or (better) manual.

Reactions: sayek and V6thomas
#10 ·
Mate the 6 cylinder 3000 is really the BEST engine to have in these cars. At work we have an A4 Avant with this engine and she FLIES while returning very decent mpg figures.

#12 ·
Your first prayer says you need a car urgently but that doesn't mesh with only driving 3,000 miles a year. To me, a summertime cruiser doesn't count as an urgent need but to each their own. Driving a car that little and only in summertime pretty much guarantees you're going to have issues no matter what engine or transmission you get.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I have a new vw touareg on order that was supposed to be delivered on 1st of September. I am now not getting it until December and that's not guaranteed. I had already committed to sell the rangerover I already had. I've had 2 cars for years but sold my merc sl 55 amg in March and I was just going to stick to one car. I miss a convertible now tho so thought I would get one now. I'm using my daughters car at the moment. I would expect issues with a car that's doesn't get much use but I don't want one that has major issues as soon as I get it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.