Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 (MY2010) S5 + APR Stage1
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my car, an '09 S5 Convertible, for a year now and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I was amazed by the performance but overtime the APR niggle in the back of my mind overcame my initial thoughts that it doesn't need more power, so decided on an early Chistmas present :)

Having the S-tronic gearbox, I was a bit concerned as it has a reputation of being a little fragile and must be maintained on the button; so I emailed APR support in the US, telling them I had a 10 year old car and was concerned if it could cope with the increased horsepower and torque?

They replied and said that they saw no issue with Stage1 on my car provided it was in good health and regularly maintained. As both of those were true I decided to go for it.

I took advantage of Awesome GTIs Black Friday sale (25% off I think), and booked the car in. Came the day and I droppoed it off, but there was a small hiccup, nobody had told me I had to run at least a couple of 99 octane tanks through if I wanted the 99 map. I always user super unleaded, but vary between 97 and 99 depending on where I fill up. It was a bit frustrating that I hadn't been told, as that meant I had to just have the 95 RON map, and they'd upgrade later. The 95 map meant I would get the best results on the dyno run.

Anyway, it all went smoothly and I collected the car later on, excited to see how she ran. Something else I didn't know was that Stage1 also came with Launch Control. However, given the loads that would place the car under, and that I was already a little concerned about the gearbox, I asked him not to tell me how to use it. I didnt want to be tempted!

It was wet on the M60 on the way home so I decided to be gentle with the power and give myself some time to get used to it. When I did briefly test the power out, I wasn't disappointed.

It wasn't until the next day that I got to try her out properly on a nice clear dual carriageway. I pressed the pedal, the cogs dropped and she went like a scalded cat. And then without warning I was thrown forward in my seat, quickly followed by being thrown back again as the gear changed and power kicked back in. What???

So I tried it a few times, and the same happened. I wasn't very pleased that my powerful and smooth car was now more powerful, but certainly not smooth.

I phoned Awesome and booked her back in the next day for them to take a look. They thought some gearbox settings may need to be reset, however soon after I arrived the technician came to see me with a graph from the dyno run when the upgrade was originally done. It showed exactly what I was experienceing, a sudden large power drop off, followed moments later by full power again after the gear had changed. It was hitting the torque limiter!

To resolve this Awesome told me I really needed the TCM (transmission control module) Stage1 upgrade as well. To say I was a bit peeved at this news would have been an understatement. Why hadn't they told me this would happen, and that I'd need the TCM upgrade?

They were very apologetic, realising that it would have been good to tell me about it. However I was even more peeved when I realised that the TCM upgrade would double my costs, as it was about the same as the ECU upgrade they'd already done o_O

Realising they'd created a bit of a mess, they apologised and offered me the TCM upgrade for a very good price, or to reverse the ECU upgrade and refund me. I still wanted the extra BHP, so took up their offer on the TCM upgrade.

Half an hour later it was all complete, and with their sincere apologies for the hassle I headed home.

The transformation was as drastically good, as it was drastically bad before. She was now smooth again, no hesitation in the gearchange and wow, could you feel the extra power. Around 443 according to the dyno. I guess that may go up 4 or 5 more once I get the 99 map.

So, despite the hassles I'm pleased with the result. Mistakes happen and I should have been told about running 2 tanks of 99 and that you really do need the TCM map for the car to run as it should. However, Awesome stepped up and fixed the problems. I'm a realist and know that in the real world mistakes happen. So for me it's more important to judge on how those mistakes are resolved, rather than criticising that they happened in the first place.

I've used Awesome for nearly 20 years and find them professional, willing to help and a good alternative to the dealerships. Crucially, they have a wealth of VAG experience which I why I use them over other independents.

·
Registered
Audi S5 Black Edition Mrc Stage 2
451 Posts
I'm presuming that's the v6v turbo s5?

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
09 plate S5 is 3.0 ltr supercharged.

It sounds like it was a bit of mission to get your car sorted.
However good to see they got it right in the end.
I am bit shocked about them not telling you about the gearbox map as it compliments the more power from your engine.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I have my doubts about needing the 2 tanks of 99 RON because it was not likely a custom map - rather the "off-the-shelf" APR map. Worst case it would need some time afterwards on 99 RON to advance timing to what the map allows. I has also thought that the TCU remap is not needed for stage 1, but maybe this is either a peculiarity of APR or else simply a result of the fact you have an '09 car and on its original OE TCU firmware? I'd agree that your best not to use LC - not point shocking the gearbox just for a few thrills.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have my doubts about needing the 2 tanks of 99 RON because it was not likely a custom map - rather the "off-the-shelf" APR map. Worst case it would need some time afterwards on 99 RON to advance timing to what the map allows. I has also thought that the TCU remap is not needed for stage 1, but maybe this is either a peculiarity of APR or else simply a result of the fact you have an '09 car and on its original OE TCU firmware? I'd agree that your best not to use LC - not point shocking the gearbox just for a few thrills.
They suggested that with the 99 map, but only having a mix of 99 and 97 fuel, it wouldn't perform as well on the dyno, so applied the 95 map. I'll just get it changed to the 99 map next time it's in for a service.

All I can tell you is the the dyno graph showed a huge drop off while the gear changed, then full power again half a second later. And having the TCM Stage1 fixed it.
Yeah, exactly my thought. Huge surge of power through the gearbox can't be good. I'll save myself the rebuild cost :cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
09 plate S5 is 3.0 ltr supercharged.

It sounds like it was a bit of mission to get your car sorted.
However good to see they got it right in the end.
I am bit shocked about them not telling you about the gearbox map as it compliments the more power from your engine.
Yep, as you say, 3.0 V6.
Yeah, I saw it was available, but was happy just to have the ECU map. Never mentioned TCM map being necessary. They fixed it, so all good in the end.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Thanks for the very interesting description Gerrard, great write up. I agree that they should have told you/warned you about the big power drop offs but then they responded well and solved the problem. Personally I would stay with the 95 RON setup, cos another 5 horses is hardly worth the time and effort and I agree that to strain the engine and transmission is best avoided. Car sounds great now, any photos???

Reactions: Gerrard

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the very interesting description Gerrard, great write up. I agree that they should have told you/warned you about the big power drop offs but then they responded well and solved the problem. Personally I would stay with the 95 RON setup, cos another 5 horses is hardly worth the time and effort and I agree that to strain the engine and transmission is best avoided. Car sounds great now, any photos???
Pleased you found it interesting. A few photo's:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts