Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for raising this question again but I got very limited response last time and am hoping that someone may pick up on it second time around.

I have a 2.7D multitronic Sportback. Between about 1,700 and 2,000 revs I get a slightly rough roar from the engine. It's hard to describe but there's a definite "grrrrr" booming sound which I can also feel very slightly through the wheel.

It's not unpleasant, and it's not loud, in many ways it feels as if it's just the power kicking in but then at 2000 revs it reverts back to the smooth engine sound I get at all other revs.

It happens at the same revs in sport and normal drive modes. It's definitely rev rather than speed related.

My dealer can't find a problem but I'd be interested to know whether I should pursue this with them or whether it is just a characteristic of the engine.

I have 6,000 miles on the clock and it's done it from new.

Any thoughts from other 2.7 owners would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I had "rough" noises from my engine.

try this:

At standstill open door and blip the throttle (adjacent to a wall is best) - do you also get a rough noise from the engine as it settles back to idle.

If you do, then for me the cause was a faulty dual-mass flywheel.
Even if not might be worth asking the dealer to investigate this possibility. Trouble is that I believe until the dealer can find a fault acknowledged by Audi he does not get paid for warranty work by Audi which is why most will say no error code, can't be any fault.

There were no error codes for this fault for me btw.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Mate,

I had rough 'noise' between 1200 - 2500 revs and it seemed to be coming from the engine, however it was the gearbox!

At first the dealership couldn't hear anything. But after many complaints they took it serious and could hear the noise. They replaced the multitronic gearbox 3 times.

After each gearbox replacement, for a short time the noise went but returned. On the final replacement some from Germany came down to investigate. He confirmed that the there was something wrong with the car.

Hence I replaced the 2.7 it with a 3.0ltr stronic with help from HQ and a dealer contribution for the hassle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:no:Thanks BR5.

I tried gruffle's suggestion but can't seem to create the noise when stationary, either when revving or when the engine returns to idle, so I suspect the gearbox theory might be worth pursuing. Doesn't sound promising though based on your experience.:no:

Time for a trip back to the dealer I think . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts