Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 A5 PP Quattro Cab. with the 2.0 T and 8-speed Tiptronic. The car currently has 45,000 miles on the clock, and is in excellent condition. I love the car, but I am less than thrilled with standing-start acceleration. It’s more than adequate once the turbo spoils up, but until then, it can be worth your life to try to dodge traffic!

I have been checking out the products offered by APR. Their Stage I ECU upgrade offers very impressive gains (57 hp on 93 API fuel) for what seems to be a modest price. It plugs into the OBD-II port, and requires no mechanical intervention or permanent mods. to the ECU. Under the heading of “things that may be too good to be true”, I would like to know the level of satisfaction from others who have installed this and are using it in the real world. Thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello

I too have been reading about the APR tune. My car is a 2016 A5 2.0T. Just don't seem to hear about a lot of people modifying these cars all that much on here... Yes I used the search function. Any way back to your question I am thinking about going with a Chipwerke box to see what the gains are if any.... I hate the idea of not being able to remove the tune quickly if I had too. In regards to the tune would you look at doing a Downpipe or even some other airflow mods in the future?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Good to hear from you.
I seriously doubt that I would go the Stage II route, as that seems to be a track-only mod. I’m an old guy and, as much as I hate to admit it, those days are done for me.
I, too, really like the idea of being able to remove the tune if I have to. I’m well out of warranty, so that’s not an issue, but it just seems reasonable to be able to do that.
I was directed to APR by my son, who used their chip to great advantage in a VW GTI. The gains were super impressive, with no drawbacks! I haven’t looked at any other tuners for the A5. It is surprising that no one other than yourself has responded to my inquiry. I suppose traditional Audi people are not hot rodders at heart. They just move on to S5s.
Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use apr products. currently I have the APR down pipe and stage II tune fully loaded with the dongle that plugs into the ODB II you can change the tune with an app on your phone. You can change the tune back to stock, stage I, stage II. Great products but a bit pricey.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Friend. It’s good to hear from an actual user of the APR gear. It sounds like you went full boat on this. I’m sure I’d stay at Stage I. I’m really just looking to offset the turbo lag, and add some punch to the standing start acceleration.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Please share your experience with the stage 1 upgrade if you decide to get it. The APR website is a bit sly in that the default gains shown are with ethanol. But regular 91 gains are still impressive.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you. I certainly will share my results. I use 93 Octane exclusively in that car (USA). I would expect my increases to be close to the Ethanol results. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hear you. I certainly will share my results. I use 93 Octane exclusively in that car (USA). I would expect my increases to be close to the Ethanol results. Thanks for your reply.
Ive got a 2015 a5 flex 2.0.
I Recently got and apr stage 1 tune.
Its a significant change . From 220 hp to 312hp and for 258 torque to 345 torque
I don't think the tune cuts down the turbo lag . But after 60 mph it pulls and pulls.
I really don't think i care about the 380 torque it says the tune can do .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s a VERY impressive hp gain! I can appreciate the increased pull above 60 mph. What has it done for your 0-60 time?

·
Registered
3 Posts
So i was able to get 0 to 60 time down from 6.1 to 5.35 with the apr stage 1 tune.
This is running 79% full ethanol. I just changed the spark plugs and coilpaks .and
Added a kn filter. In a few days ill try to see if i can get a faster pull . But for now its pretty good. Its faster then a 370 z ?
Im happy with it

·
Registered
38 Posts
I
I have a 2012 A5 PP Quattro Cab. with the 2.0 T and 8-speed Tiptronic. The car currently has 45,000 miles on the clock, and is in excellent condition. I love the car, but I am less than thrilled with standing-start acceleration. It’s more than adequate once the turbo spoils up, but until then, it can be worth your life to try to dodge traffic!

I have been checking out the products offered by APR. Their Stage I ECU upgrade offers very impressive gains (57 hp on 93 API fuel) for what seems to be a modest price. It plugs into the OBD-II port, and requires no mechanical intervention or permanent mods. to the ECU. Under the heading of “things that may be too good to be true”, I would like to know the level of satisfaction from others who have installed this and are using it in the real world. Thanks in advance for any responses.
I have the GIAC stage 1 flash in my 2011 A5 2.0t. Just about any flash from a reputable firm is safe. In my opinion. the stock 2.0t should come with Stage 1 HP an Tq. On my previous 2006 A3 2.0t, I had every bolt on available with no issues at all. Just do it, you will have no regrets. Money well spent for the smiles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ive got a 2015 a5 flex 2.0.
I Recently got and apr stage 1 tune.
Its a significant change . From 220 hp to 312hp and for 258 torque to 345 torque
I don't think the tune cuts down the turbo lag . But after 60 mph it pulls and pulls.
I really don't think i care about the 380 torque it says the tune can do .
I have no intention of starting the proverbial chip war, but a 92 hp and 87 tq increase from a stage 1 chip is not believable and may be giving people a false sense of the what a stage 1 flash can do. I had a 2.0t A3 Stage III with a K04, rs4 injectors, rs4 IC, APR high pressure fuel pump, rs3 fuel valve, carbonio CIA, AWE exhaust, and just about every bolt on available for the 2.0t engine and was reliably getting about 330 hp to the crank and similar tq.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Blimey, amazing gains, do they increase the pressure of the fuel pump and injectors to get such power gains??? And is there no danger of overcooking the clutch or auto box??? You need to upgrade the brakes too I guess??

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2011 A5 with 42k miles and just did the APR Stage 1 upgrade. It is a huge difference - I don't think I could go back to driving the car the way it was before. It adds a good amount of power and make the car noticeably faster, but it also makes it much easier to drive. The low end power is much improved so you don't need to put the pedal to the floor just to merge with traffic. This is how the car should have come from the factory! If you haven't already done the upgrade, you should go for it. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2011 A5 with 42k miles and just did the APR Stage 1 upgrade. It is a huge difference - I don't think I could go back to driving the car the way it was before. It adds a good amount of power and make the car noticeably faster, but it also makes it much easier to drive. The low end power is much improved so you don't need to put the pedal to the floor just to merge with traffic. This is how the car should have come from the factory! If you haven't already done the upgrade, you should go for it. You won't regret it.
I just bought a 2013 A5 6 speed. ..looking to add more punch . Have been thinking about the APR Stage 1? Any cons I should be aware of and how much should it run me around?
thx
Rob Q

·
Registered
363 Posts
Anytime you're increasing the power of the engine over than stock, you're risking greater wear and tear to your engine. Stage 1 is supposed to have little or no additional risk, but nobody can guarantee 100%.

That said, I had a stage 1 chip in my old Golf TDI. Had it for almost 20 years. Chipped for well over 120K miles. Never had an issue with the engine.

A 2013 model car should probably get its timing chain checked for stretching since most require replacement around 100K miles or so. More power = more stretching.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anytime you're increasing the power of the engine over than stock, you're risking greater wear and tear to your engine. Stage 1 is supposed to have little or no additional risk, but nobody can guarantee 100%.

That said, I had a stage 1 chip in my old Golf TDI. Had it for almost 20 years. Chipped for well over 120K miles. Never had an issue with the engine.

A 2013 model car should probably get its timing chain checked for stretching since most require replacement around 100K miles or so. More power = more stretching.
Do you think I am going to have a problem with the manual transmission?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts