Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating trading in my S5 for an M3 after it comes out with the new DCT transmission. Why would I do that - for roughly the same money (or 5-10k more depending on the options) you get:

a) better performance (420hp, RWD, lighter weight) and thus more driving fun
b) a sportier transmission with faster shifts. I seriously doubt the S5 auto scheduled for next year is gonna be as sporty DCT - Audi does not offer fast "F1-style" transmissions anywhere in its model range (except for the R8)
c) I might also wait until the M3 convertible comes out (for even more fun ;) )

However I would still prefer the S5 on the looks - both the exterior and the interior. The M3 looks more subtle and its interior is plainly boring. Plus the S5 turns out to be more practical - AWD is extremely useful in winter (minor point for me, since I try to avoid driving my S5 in winter anyway)

Anyone has similar thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
314 Posts
Its always a thought in the back of my mind. But my car needs to be year round...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I vote Audi over BMW any day but i do have to comment on this quote "The M3 looks more subtle" the M3 has a hood bulge, hood vents, lower dimmentions and has side engine bay vents. I don't agree with that quote. I prefer the s5 actually because it is more subtle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
from a girls pt of view i use to love all things "M" but over the last few years have grown out of them.

they are just too racing for me and not a car that can be driven leisurely .. take m5 vs e63 or even new m3 vs rs4 ... and yes i have driven these cars :)

sure the "M" stuff are fun when driven hard but the problem is they only like it when they are driven hard. sometimes (most times) i like an everyday car. one that pulls strongly from low revs and keeps on going.

i dont doubt the s5 is overpriced and really to put an rs5 significantly more than an m3 in pricing will kill it but for now id take an s5 over the m3 ... sure its not an m3 or rs4 in performance but its a nice tourer with enough grunt to keep me happy. if i owned an s5 i would not be looking at rs5 as an upgrade as engine alone is not enough for me (need new body, interior, etc etc).... perhaps r10 is a few years time :)

julie

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I had originally ordered an M3 with DCT back in August, but after seeing the interior I couldnt stomach forking out £52K for it. Yes its an excellent car, but i'm going to be sitting in it when i'm driving it and when i'm paying that much money I want to feel like i'm in somthing special.

I like to drive fast but I doubt I will ever be taking my car to the limits not on public roads anyway and its at the limits that 'M' cars are in their prime and most fun.

Also even though it has slightly better performance than the S5, it doesn't have £10k worth of extra performance if you ask me.

And from the ladies prespective, everyone single one that I've asked prefer the S5 to the M3 for both the exterior and interior look of the car and all of them have said that BMW interiors are a big let down especially seeing how much you pay for them.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Had a test drive of the new M3 and RS4 along with the S5 in recent months when i was deciding what car to treat myself to.I could not justify the £58,000 price tag all tooled up demo M3 that BMW was trying to sell me,the drive was good dont get me wrong but at £58k i would expect a lot more for my money,probably the most disapointing aspect about the M3 was the interior,i was shocked how plain and bland it was compared to Audi even to my current A4 Sline,the drive was quick as you would expect and must admit was as good as i would expect from the M3 on roads not track side.When i took the RS4 out after the M3 there was no comparison as far as i was concerned,i thought the Audi was a far better car,the drive was as quick or certainly felt as if it was,looks and the interior was far superior and coming in at £54k was a saving of £4k.After tying down a deal I was within a day or so of signing up to purchase the RS4,when i went in to complete the deal i noticed the S5 which they had just launched,after a sit in and test drive that was it hooked,the power,the looks wooo and interior are immense,i cancelled RS4 order straight after my test drive and i knew after several months of looking for a fast good looking car the S5 had to be for me and at £45,000 i have paid that is a saving of £13,000 on the demo M3 i drove and £9,000 on the RS4 so overall i am very,very happy with my decision having drove all three :)

I collect my S5 within the next few weeks and it is better looking inside and out and the power is there still for all to see unless of course you want to spend your weekends round a race track,not for me if it was i would still give a M3 driver a run for his money believe me.Funny thing is i see the M3 which was the demo on the road most weeks so the pushy salesman obviously sold it,i cant wait to see the old mans face at the lights if i pull up alongside him,i wonder if i tell him he has paid £13,000 more for his motor it will piss him off :rolleyes: :D

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
In all honesty, I don't think i'm going to go back to a RWD car.

It's fun if you like getting the ass out, but when it comes to the twisties, when you're actually looking for some grip, RWD cars aren't trustworthy IMO.

·
Registered
64 Posts
In all honesty, I don't think i'm going to go back to a RWD car.

It's fun if you like getting the ass out, but when it comes to the twisties, when you're actually looking for some grip, RWD cars aren't trustworthy IMO.
Me and my GT3 can not agree with that statement.

The M3 will destroy the S5 as far as handling and acceleration goes but when the weather gets dicey give me the S5 not to mention the S5 is much more luxurious. The S5 is a GT car and the M3 is a sports car, very different vehicles. I wish Audi could get the engine behind the front axle which would make an enormous difference in how it handles.
The S5 makes more sense for me than the M3 because it's the better year round every day driver especially here in the northeast.

·
Registered
273 Posts

The M3 will destroy the S5 as far as handling and acceleration goes it's.
Destroy? In handling, yes because the M3 is a lighter car with more ponies; but in acceleration, not destroy. Yes the Beemer is a tick or two quicker zero to sixty, but in the real world I don't know that anyone will notice on the road. And, even the handling difference won't be that noticeable in the real world as opposed to the track -- other than the distinct advantages that quattro gives to the S5 in grip.

You said it best when you said that the two cars have decidedly different personalities. The S5 is a grand tourer, the M3 a sports car. For my money, I'd rather have the GT car in the real world, a car that still has plenty of low-end grunt, is exciting and fun to drive, with a drop dead gorgeous body and a beautiful interior.

·
Registered
275 Posts

The M3 will destroy the S5 as far as handling and acceleration goes but when the weather gets dicey give me the S5 not to mention the S5 is much more luxurious. The S5 is a GT car and the M3 is a sports car, very different vehicles. I wish Audi could get the engine behind the front axle which would make an enormous difference in how it handles.
The S5 makes more sense for me than the M3 because it's the better year round every day driver especially here in the northeast.
I don't think you can put it better than this - I agree 100% .

Both are great cars, S5 is sexier and better all round for regular use, but M3 is probably a better sports car.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
If I was thninking about changing so soon, it would definitely be for the RS5 and not the M3. You get the beauty of the s5 inside and out with RS4 engine PLUS a couple of turbos. All for the same price as the dull looking M3. No contest.

To be honest though, I couldn't justify the swap just yet. My S5 will do nicely for a year or 2.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The M3 never fails to spark debate does it !! As is clear,the new M3 is not beyond critisism but there is no denying its a superbly engineered vehicle and yes it has more power and a wilder nature than the S5. If thats what floats your boat and you have the extra £10k or so then go buy. Theres a Melbourne Red new M3 parked outside my offices right now, two spaces away from my S5, its nice, very nice but the interior is bland beyond belief. I know which one I'd rather be hitting the traffic in tonight..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Both are great cars, S5 is sexier and better all round for regular use, but M3 is probably a better sports car.....
I agree completely

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's an absolutely lie, a 4WD car will always out grip a rear wheel drive car. A RWD is more fun to drive as in you can toss it about, but in know way shape or form will it out grip a 4WD, you can't argue with physics. There is a video of Porsche GT3 4WD vs Porsche GT3 RWD, where famous driver, takes both cars around a circuit. It was on top gear, the 4WD won.

His comments were the RWD feels more fun to drive, but the 4WD holds it's lines much better, and actually came out .2 second faster despite it's extra weight.

Because RWD cars tend to oversteer they are concerned more agile, however, if your point is to make it around a curve going as fast as possible the 4WD car will win all day long, why, because it's simple physics, it's called Newtons Law of MOtion. Objects, tend to resist motion, because a 4WD can apply a force to compensate for a car wanting to not hold it's line and fish tail out, it can in effect have a much greater agility. What you lose is the ability to fish tail, but that's for funs sake, not from improved driving or getting you from point A to B faster. You don't ever see F1 drivers trying to fish tail threw a turn, no they come in high and exit low, why because it's easier to hold the line and keep speed. Something a 4WD does by simply applying more force.

Don't believe me, Audi's cars have been band from several rally race circuits because simply they grip to well, and quattro was seen as a biased advantage. As stated pure fun, yeah, 2WD but actually trying to get in and out of turn with greatest speed, 4 WD all day. If agility and control made more sense by using 2WD SUV's would be 2WD cars.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.