Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of talking to 2 dealers regarding the price for a fully loaded A5. The first dealer I went to was marking the price up by $5,000... and at first they didn't seem willing to budge on the price. After saying to her that another dealer is willing to offer me an ordered one for MSRP, she said she can do MSRP on one that's coming in the next shipment (supposedly end of this month) or I can order one for sticker price also.

Question is... anyone ordered an A5 recently in California? Were you guys able to get anything off the sticker price? I'm just unsure whether it's a good deal, and if it is should I just take it or try to fight for more $$ off? Every dealer seems to be saying that this car is hot and they even sold some for 10k over MSRP, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I paid $3500 over MSRP and then gave back the $1500 discount in the form of extended Audi Care and Warranty. As long as the beauty of this car continues to "blind" me, I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ordered at the end of May after a pretty wide survey of dealers in Orange county and Los Angeles. Both from my experience and from others we have heard from on this form, it seems no one has been able to get any discount off MSRP, nor any extras thrown in.

However, with the competition and state of the economy, I am pretty sure you shouldn't need to pay a premium.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Jay,

Out of curiuosity, which dealers were you talking to?
I'm in the LA area too and so far have only spoken with Rusnak Audi, and yes they had a nice $5000 markup.
I dont expect to get a discount of MSRP, but I'm definitely not going to pay that much of a premium.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Jay,

Out of curiuosity, which dealers were you talking to?
I'm in the LA area too and so far have only spoken with Rusnak Audi, and yes they had a nice $5000 markup.
I dont expect to get a discount of MSRP, but I'm definitely not going to pay that much of a premium.
I went to Rusnak in Pasadena. They tried to sell it for me for $5000 markup and I basically said another dealer is offering me MSRP and when I said that THEN they said they can give me MSRP for an ordered one or one that's coming in their next shipment.

I made it clear to her I'm not going to pay that much over MSRP and I rather wait with another dealer than pay that much. Who did you talk to over at Rusnak? Did you talk to any other dealers? I'm also talking to one guy in West Covina Penske... so I'm gonna go with whoever gives me the best price!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ordered my A5 at McKenna Audi in Norwalk for MSRP. Ordered around early/mid June and am expecting delivery at end of August. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ordered with Ryan at Pacific Audi. They had told me they have several A5's coming, and some of those are not spoken for yet. And they did not ask for a markup above MSRP. Circle Audi in Long Beach is also worth a try.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I went to Rusnak in Pasadena. They tried to sell it for me for $5000 markup
Hey guys, I bought from Rusnak, if you order one, they will give it to you at MSRP. When I was shopping around it seems that's the norm - order at MSRP, or if you try to take one out of stock, most likely they will ask for a markup. I talked to West Covina, McKenna in Norwalk and Keyes in Van Nuys before I settled on Rusnak.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I emailed Rusnak Audi that their pricing at markup over MSRP was way off, and that I had ordered with another dealer at MSRP. I received this reply today:

"Sorry I could not get your business......If I had known you wanted to order the car, which would be the 2009, I too can order it for you at MSRP....."
Steve Miller @ Rusnak 626.229.2528

So, as per Shady's experience, they are now at least ready to deal at MSRP. I advise you to make sure that any dealer you order from has a current allocation, i.e. they are able to put your order immediately into the Audi system, based on their dealership having an immediate available quota.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys, I bought from Rusnak, if you order one, they will give it to you at MSRP. When I was shopping around it seems that's the norm - order at MSRP, or if you try to take one out of stock, most likely they will ask for a markup. I talked to West Covina, McKenna in Norwalk and Keyes in Van Nuys before I settled on Rusnak.
When did you buy yours from Rusnak (or did you order from them)? Last time I went there there was only a white one, fully loaded. Just curious if you ordered it did they tell you when to expect it?

·
Registered
479 Posts
JayJay, I ordered in March and received in May, about 10 week delivery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too bought from rusnak audi Pasadena in early june. Walked in and bought S line a5 at msrp that they happened to not have a buyer for. They were asking a 5k mark up and while i was there watched some one pay a 50k markup on a r8. I doubt any of them stick to the mark up, they just say it at first to see if the customer goes for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
^^I dont know.
I found a used 08 A5 with 4800 miles priced at $51.5k, which is MSRP for a brand new model, and they want that for a used model and refused to go down....but it's still sitting there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm speculating that California is getting the bulk of A5/S5 allocation at the moment beacuse lead times of ~10 weeks is pretty damned good.

That said, I think that the flow of product into the US has improved remarkably the past four weeks or so and I expect it to continue so moving forward. The fact that dealers have unsold vehicles arriving is a sign that we're moving toward a better balance of supply and demand overall.

With the economy slowing (the second half is going to be pretty brutal and the 1st half of 2009 just as bleak, mark my words), I wouldn't be surprised to see A5s and S5s available at significant discounts by the 1st quarter of 2009.

I'd say that if the few thousand is keeping anyone on the fence, or if you can resist having the newest toy on the block - hold off until after the new year. You'll probably find some nice discounts then.

·
Registered
33 Posts
^^^ I definitely think you are correct.
I have seen more new '09 A5's arriving at the dealers than 08's.
Weird too, because I thought S-Line was not available for '09, but I have seen quite a few. Finally saw a black S-Line '09 parked by me today...looked like it had alcantra, so it must of been.
I'm definitely not paying 5k markup, so I'll just wait.

·
Registered
41 Posts
They had a few production runs for '09 A5 S-Lines before the Y-spoke 19" wheels went on backorder causing the S-Line package to not be available.

Although a little out of the way for you LA folks, Santa Barbara Audi doesn't mark up their vehicles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, I just did some more research, and some new S-Line 09's are coming in.
The internet dealer even went ahead and told me (without me getting a chance to ask), that they used to mark up the A5's, but they aren't doing that anymore, and are selling them at MSRP. So if some dealers in southern Cali are starting to do that, others will follow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I work at Audi Mission Viejo, and we have sold every A5 and S5 at MSRP from the beginning. This is part of the reason that we are usually sold out back to the factory. Allocation on the A5 models has opened up over the past 2 months, but we can't keep anything in stock asides from the loaded (without S Line) Black 6 Speed that we have in stock.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks for joining and posting AudiMVGreg! Good to have a dealer representative on here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts