Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to finally order this car, but the wife and I can't agree on a color. Its between brill. red, quartz grey, or ice silver. I haven't seen any real world quartz grey ones. I think the red looks rather cool :) But I like all the colors.. its soo hard to choose!!! Any help would be great!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
It is more of a "Navy grey" than I thought it would be, especially in flat light, or earlier when it was snowy out. Like a plane on a carrier.
On a sunny day or under the lights (see avatar pic) it is more of a pewter. Up close it is metallic dark silver. I have really gotten to like it.
I have already had the other colors you mentioned on other cars and was ready for A.) something different, and B.) one that would sort of disappear on occasion.
I saw somebody's brilliant black S5 in NYC a little while back, and even pretty rainspotted it looked very cool.
Good luck,
S.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quartz Gray

I have a Quartz Gray A5 and it's a handsome color. I, too, considered ice silver but decided against it because there are so many silver cars (in the States, at least). QG is different enough for it to stand out from all of the silver. I would call it a light-medium gray (leaning more towards light). In fact, when I got the car several friends said (in a rather pleasantly surprised tone) "I thought it would be darker; this is a really nice color." It's an interesting color because it definitely takes on different hues in different light, sometimes a faint green or blue hue, sometimes silver, or just plain gray. It won't show dirt or swirls, but it does show off the beautiful lines of the car. Now that I have it, I wouldn't have chosen anything else.

My thought on red cars has always been this: it doesn't wear well with time. If you plan to keep the car a while (i.e. a few years) I would stick with a more subtle color. I considered red for my last car but went with dark blue instead. I kept the car 17 years and still love the color. I would have grown tired of red within a year or two.

I hope this helps. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy the car!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Viper, i ordered mine in Quartz grey without actually seeing one. (did view pics of all the colours online though). Just thought it would be the best colour to balance between showing off the cars looks and keeping it clean ! Last few cars i have owned have been black which just looks the best clean but you only have to blink and its dirty.
Agree with other post on Red, in that I dont think it holds it colour too well over the longer time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know if it's this way anywhere else, but I've heard that here in the US insurance companies will sometimes raise their rates for red sports cars.
And on top of that, the police like pulling over red sports cars more often too!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Quartz Grey all the way ! ;0) (Seriously, Viper - search in photos posted by me and / or Alejandro and you'll see more pics of QG).

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
QG for me and would order it again. It takes on that metal look and hewn from solid in the right light but never looks bad in any light

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Look at my thread. ;-)
Quartz Grey all the way! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts