Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering (and the fact MTM Supercharger is way over priced) if anyone had considered Nitrous for their S5, from what I've researched add 50bhp using Nitrous to a V8 would be fine, and cause no harm at all.

Anyone have any experience with Nitrous in general? Would like to here peoples views on it.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Was wondering (and the fact MTM Supercharger is way over priced) if anyone had considered Nitrous for their S5, from what I've researched add 50bhp using Nitrous to a V8 would be fine, and cause no harm at all.

Anyone have any experience with Nitrous in general? Would like to here peoples views on it.
Come on Prof Ian. Lets hear the answer! And by the way, if you did this mod and had a secondary bleed valve into the cabin, you could create an entonox enhanced environment and cure that whimpering problem!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a 150 pound shot of Nitrous in my 650 BMW for over 2 years, and filled the bottle up so much... I actually ended up installing 2 bottles. I never had any problem AT ALL with my motor, people thought i was crazy for doing it, but i say its worth it...If you dont want to buy a Supercharger. Which i really want for my S5.

·
Registered
356 Posts
A bit "To fast to furious" for me. ;)

Jarod.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I think it's a waste of money in all honesty. Different if you race your car or take up the 1/4 mile, but for road use, what's the point?

As sc7d said, you'll be filling it constantly if you use it regularly. The experience is short lived.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Come on Prof Ian. Lets hear the answer! And by the way, if you did this mod and had a secondary bleed valve into the cabin, you could create an entonox enhanced environment and cure that whimpering problem!
'
... Prof here!

OK... 50HP... that will almost certainly be using a 'dry' system, which introduces nitrous oxide into the intake. and the fuel is introduced to the engine in the conventional manner... Ideally this mod needs additional software modification to provide an RPM-based flow rate for the Nitrous and also additional fuel... without this you WILL damage your engine. Why?...

...Nitrous Oxide does not burn, it splits at engine temperatures into Nitrogen and Oxygen... A lot more oxygen than you would get in air. This allows more fuel to be burned and it is this additional fuel that produces more Torque, because in simple terms, theres a bigger and longer BANG! If you don't add additional fuel you will get no additional power and the engine will burn 'lean' leading to combustion temperatures that will burn valve seats, alloy heads and spark plugs... in addition, as the temperature rises too high, the spark plug can act as a glow plug and combustion will start on contact with the plug, not at spark, this mis-timing destroys power and things like big-ends and crank shafts which usually make holes in the engine block in their bid to escape from the engine.

Personally I wouldn't run nitrous unless you are going to do it properly for the drag-strip. It's a delicate thing to get right. Doing it right involves a 'wet' system, where special injectors are added to each cylinder. these injectors inject both fuel and nitrous oxide... a computer controls the amount of each to ensure the correct fuel/nitrous ratio. with this type of system, commercially available injectors can typically handle enough fuel/Nitrous to generate up to 250HP... Per cylinder! If the engine is big enough... In the case of a 4.2 V8 I would expect up to 150BHP per cylinder is possible... that's 1,200BHP. Nice!

...Now, in discussions with APS regarding Supercharging, they advised against this, because their experience is that the N/A 4.2 engine has proven to be a little too delicate for this mod to be reliable and not to cause damage... aparrently the Turbo verions of the 4.2 are quite different from the N/A, it's not just a turbo that's added. This might explain the ludicrous cost to do it right (MTM)

Yours Sagely, Prof Ian.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Say WHAT Ian!!!!! I just used up enough mitochondrial ATP to power me for a day just trying to figure out what the heck you said. If I have a problem in the operating room Monday when I will be using the Da Vinci Robotic computer enhanced surgical system for my surgeries, it will be your fault for depleting my energy reserves tonight.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Say WHAT Ian!!!!! I just used up enough mitochondrial ATP to power me for a day just trying to figure out what the heck you said. If I have a problem in the operating room Monday when I will be using the Da Vinci Robotic computer enhanced surgical system for my surgeries, it will be your fault for depleting my energy reserves tonight.
Say WHAT Boomer!!!!! I have no idea what you said too!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Say WHAT Ian!!!!! I just used up enough mitochondrial ATP to power me for a day just trying to figure out what the heck you said.
Wow, I can't believe I understand what you just said, and what ATP stands for too, lol.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it's a waste of money in all honesty. Different if you race your car or take up the 1/4 mile, but for road use, what's the point?

As sc7d said, you'll be filling it constantly if you use it regularly. The experience is short lived.
Wasn't intending on doing it, was just wondering if anyone had considered it, but having that extra 50 - 100bhp would be nice to have when your up against something equal or more powerful, which is very common these dayz now that the E46 M3 is dirt cheap everyone has one.....I'm talking about when your trying to pull away from someone on the motorway....Had an EVO 6 up my backside today and even though I knew I wasn't going to be able to pull away from him I still tried, extra BHP would have been very handy.

You can never have too much power :D

'
... Prof here!

...Now, in discussions with APS regarding Supercharging, they advised against this, because their experience is that the N/A 4.2 engine has proven to be a little too delicate for this mod to be reliable and not to cause damage... aparrently the Turbo verions of the 4.2 are quite different from the N/A, it's not just a turbo that's added. This might explain the ludicrous cost to do it right (MTM)

Yours Sagely, Prof Ian.
Thanks for that Ian.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Say WHAT Boomer!!!!! I have no idea what you said too!
I knew you fell asleep during biochem 101--you know cell biology and all that mitochondrial stuff with the Kreb's cycle and all where ATP "energy" is used/created. As far as the Da Vinci thing--it is a 1.5-2.0 million dollar computer/robotic system that I am using now to perform hysterectomies/gynecological cancer and noncancer surgeries. Pretty cool frankly and was originally developed for the military to have surgeons perform surgery at remote locations from the actual battlefield where the injured may be. Did not work in the desert sands too well so now finding "real world" applications. I have several 3-4 hour cases this week with it so thought I better save my ATPs.:)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
... Sounds cool boomer... I love stuff like that!

My best Mate's a surgeon (also the drummer in our band) I will ask him if he knows about it.

ATP (adenosin tri-phosphate?) - Yeah I remember that! Been a while though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts