Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been waiting few months now after putting deposit on S5. Like everyone, I've been frustrated at distribution of black, white, gray S5 by Audi without regards to people that have waited months. How about that the demos are ALL identical. I've owned numerous bmw and mercedes and I can't understand the way Audi is distributing and marketing their new S5. Just strange...

Aside from that annoyance, I've been looking at the S5 more carefully. I no longer have the initial euphoria about the car and so can now make a more rational judgement.

Appearence
I still like the look of the car, I love the wheels, but it does not look awesome anymore. Reminds me of the G35 coupe -when it first hit the market, I thought it looked awesome but got tired of it real fast, now I think they look boring. I just remember looking the S5 demo and it didn't make to say "holy shit"

Interior
Still awesome, little concerned about the quality of the leather based on what others have said. How about the sunroof that won't open, I'm a big sunroof guy and to have the roof tilt open slightly seems ridiculous.

Perfomance
Little disappointed, I expected serious performace with a wicked V8 growl. I think the performace is on par with bmw 335 (my brother owns one) and growl is very muted. There is also an issue with delay in production of torque vectoring and drive select.

Pricing
I think it's overpriced. I know it's a V8 but it's overpriced by about $5-10,000. If you compare to 335, you can't justify paying extra 10-12000 for S5. How about that gas guzzler tax, not happy about that. Audi also has a higher depreciation then the bmw.

When I initially put a deposit on the car, I expected a S5, a great looking and serious performer. But now I feel like I'm getting a slightly overprice touring coupe that will offer more features later on. And if I want a great looking serious performer, I need to wait for RS5. Don't get me wrong, I like the car, but am frustrated at lack of info from Audi and at close to 60k, I'm expecting little bit more. Like lot of you this is the car that I dreamed of owning when I was 7 years old, I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about. Don't take my analysis the wrong way or think I'm just flaming the car, it's just that i'm able to analyze the vehicle little more objectively. I am serious considering pulling my deposit and going for M3, 335 convertable, Nissan GTR, or g37 convertible coming out next year. I know some of these cars are more expensive then the S5 but I do think they are price right (not sure about M3)

let me know what you guys think.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
To be honest, based on what you're saying, I'd cancel the order if it doesn't give you your kicks any more.

Appearance - I still love it every day, and the more i see it compared to others out there, the more I love it - I lent it to somebody the other day, and followed my own car, and realized how good it actually looked. Park it next to a 3 series BMW, and the BMW becomes bland and inexistent....

Interior - great, no issues, no quality issues on the leather have been reported on the S5 ( a few on the A5 though, they are different seats). I agree with you on the sunroof, and removed it from my order in europe, and wish i hadn't, even if it doesn't open, it is some extra light and a different view on the world when driving - but tilt only is silly.

Performance - seriously, unless your racing it on a track ( which it is not made for) there is more than enough performance, and in actual fact, the exhaust note and engine noise are beautiful - this is one of the things i can't get enough of with the car, every day when i start the engine, i get that smile on my face. and when driving along, whenever i release the throttle to slow down ,the deep burble is music to my ears - i actually don't like listening to music as loud as before, just to here the subtle engine noise.....

Price - so it is on the premium side of the market, for a premium car. either you can afford it and accept it, or you can't - they're not going to change their pricing for you. it is on the steep side, but i was considering the S5 ora 911 (wanted a nice everyday sports car with seating room for my small kids and trunk room for my golf clubs) - so it seemed a good buy for me compared to the 911, considering it had more trunk room and leg room in back.

Again, considering your doubts, you need to do two things - take it out for a test ride again, see if it still makes you smile, check out all the issues you see as problems when reading about them here - either you'll be thinking that they are real problems, or you 'll be considering them inexistent or negligible considering the rest of the car.

I honestly doubt you'll be disappointed once you do get the car - especially if comparing to a BMW 335 or a Nissan for looks, a G37 for performance...... And if you order a different car (Nissan, BMW, Lexus...) and have to wait for it, the more you read about it on forums, the more you will be aware of minor issues that people have ( that are statistically minimal), and the same you'll feel - part of the waiting process......

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
When you are spending the sort of money on a car like this you have to be in love with it. I dont for one minute regret my decision to buy and the car looks stunning still.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
tx-S5, I understand where you're coming from and really think its kind of natural to go through periods of indecision and uncertainty with almost anything you buy and have to wait for. I ordered an S5 paid my deposit then cancelled because I saw some pictures and decided it didn't look so special. Just phone Esplanade Audi and ask them how much grief I put them through !! Then one day after I'd struggled to find anything I really liked I went and took another look at the Audi and was instantly hooked. But even after I'd paid a second deposit I had times when I thought I prefered my 650.

Now after three months or so of ownership, countless positive comments, some memorable trips and a few weekends spent polishing it up I absolutely love it..and you would too I'm sure.

Its not perfect, I think it could have looked a little better, the engine could make a bit more noise and I wish to hell the wheels filled out to the edge of the arches more, but its an awesome car. I also have an Aston Martin DB9 and a Lexus RX400 Hybrid (other halfs and family main car) and around 40 demonstrators throughout the franchised dealerships that I'm MD of, so no shortage of choice. But truthfully its the Audi I drive most of the time, it just has something about it that makes me smile..Why don't you see if you can get one for 24 hours and give it another go..

It is a better car than the 335..;)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Based upon your comments, it sounds like you would probably end up having "buyer's remorse" after getting the car. Those things you mentioned are not going to change after you receive the car (e.g., sunroof won't open, muted growl from exhaust, gas guzzler tax, looks boring to you). To be honest, it sounds like you've already talked yourself out of owning this car and going after something that you are much more passionate about. At the end of the day, it all boils down to what makes YOU happy (not anyone else). And it doesn't sound like the S5 is going to do that for you anymore. So, if I were you, I would look into purchasing one of the other cars mentioned that you seem more enthusiastic about. Just my two cents' worth.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
To me it sounds more like a frustration with the wait versus real annoyances with the car. Everything you named as issues were all known when you put the deposit down.
Your secondary choices also lead me to believe there may be a fiscal angle involved as well. A G37 coupe doesn't even have a dog in the race when compared to an S5. The 335 is clearly a competitor, but if you want to get bored quickly, that car will do it just as fast or faster than the S.

At the end ofthe day it's your decision. I just gave mine her first wax and I am happier now than when I put down 50% of the purchase price.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have also gone thru some periods of second guessing myself. I currently have a moddified STi and wanted something with similar power but more luxury. (I am getting older) I did look at the 335, G37, CTS-V, and S60R. However in the end only one other car came close and find myself wanting the luxury over the performance of the GT-R. I need a back seat for my kids and prefer AWD.

I am not a fan of sunroofs and would prefer if I could delete it. I have a loud exhaust currently and am looking forward to a little quiter but still have some noise.

I am thinking you want sunroof, awesome performance, lower price, better mileage. All this equals Evo X, STI, Mazda 6 Speed. But you loose out on a lot of luxury. The 335 is also an option but still more $$.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have also gone thru some periods of second guessing myself. I currently have a moddified STi and wanted something with similar power but more luxury. (I am getting older) I did look at the 335, G37, CTS-V, and S60R. However in the end only one other car came close and find myself wanting the luxury over the performance of the GT-R. I need a back seat for my kids and prefer AWD.

I am not a fan of sunroofs and would prefer if I could delete it. I have a loud exhaust currently and am looking forward to a little quiter but still have some noise.

I am thinking you want sunroof, awesome performance, lower price, better mileage. All this equals Evo X, STI, Mazda 6 Speed. But you loose out on a lot of luxury. The 335 is also an option but still more $$.
The 335 defiantly does not cost more than an S5?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree with you on the way it is rather frusturating that Audi launched only ibis/tuscan - meteor/magma - black/black - red/black. However, it seems that the frusturation is more about the wait than features. Did you sign up for the Audi Driving Experience? This is a great way to drive the S5 on a real racetrack with full acceleration/braking/and cornering. I finished this past weekend and I have to say that I have even more respect for the S5 in this situation than I did driving on the Autobahn at 140mph. The S5 is a great car on the road and definitely on the track. Handling is excellent, neutral, and turn in is fantastic. The engine note sounds just right under these conditions as well, although I do agree it would be nicer to have a little more rumble crusing the streets. Of the vehicles that you mentioned, only the M3 sounds like the car that should threaten your decision of going with the S5 based on what is more important to you in a car. The 335 and G37 are hardly in the same class other than offering similiar performance. Even still, the performance of the S5 in braking, skidpad, and acceleration is undeniably better. If looking only at the performance aspect, I can see where you might think that the 10k difference is unjustified. This is where you have to ask yourself, what is more important. Is acceleration the most important?, features?, technology?, styling?, quality? IMO you have to look at the big picture to see the value in the S5, and after doing so - it becomes apparent that it is actually a very good value considering the level of car that you get. The design, quality, and attention to detail in the Audi is incredible and it's immediately apparent that it offers what the competition does and much more - it is a special car.

I've been waiting few months now after putting deposit on S5. Like everyone, I've been frustrated at distribution of black, white, gray S5 by Audi without regards to people that have waited months. How about that the demos are ALL identical. I've owned numerous bmw and mercedes and I can't understand the way Audi is distributing and marketing their new S5. Just strange...

let me know what you guys think.....

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Well said Quattrings, thats what I meant but couldn't put into words...tx-S5 will no doubt be along soon to tell us how much he's looking forward to getting his new S5 ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Pricing
I think it's overpriced. I know it's a V8 but it's overpriced by about $5-10,000. If you compare to 335, you can't justify paying extra 10-12000 for S5. How about that gas guzzler tax, not happy about that. Audi also has a higher depreciation then the bmw.

Try putting the same options in the S5 in the BMW 335xi and its about 3-5k difference. Not 10k.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My 2 cents:

Appearance -- To me it's an evolutionary Audi design. A modern, updated 2 door S4 in technology, ride and style. But wider and with a luxurious interior. Slots perfectly between the A4 and A6. It's no Aston Martin but as Audi makes vehicles with beautiful lines and an understated elegant quality about them, it's what I like. But not for everyone I agree. It's not a "hey look at me" kind of car but for people in the know it's a car I'm going to be proud to own.

Interior -- simply gorgeous to me. I can't find anything wrong with it. I'm not concerned about the sunroof at all as I had a TT with no sunroof and didn't even miss it. Lighting up the interior with some natural light is good enough for me and not a deal breaker.

Performance -- The hp and torque numbers, as well as the 0-60 numbers are pretty damn good. As others have said, for driving on highways and city streets it's more than adequate to me.

Pricing -- I think it's actually a fair price. I paid $55 for my S4 with a custom color and all the options. In comparison to the S5 my S4 looks and feels like a VW Jetta (exaggerating of course...). But again it's a good improvement over the S4 and just a few thousand more. For me the price difference between the 335 and the S5 isn't significant and I think it's worth the extra money. I do think the 335 is the nicest BMW I've seen in a long long time but the S5 has the combination of qualities I prefer

The only thing I'm pissed off at Audi about is the ordering and allocation system that I've already vented about and not offering us Drive Select when it is clearly ready to go. But at the same time I don't see anything else out there that does it for me. As others have said I think a car should just "grab you" and you know it's what you want. If it just doesn't do that, I'd hold off and give it a few more months. More test drives maybe.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Many eloquent replies so I won't add much. I am an unapologetic audi enthusiast over 20+ years. The S5 has lit my fire more than any previous audi. My BMW fanatic collegue just yesterday rode with me and could not stop complimenting the car. He said it was the first audi that may have him considering a brand switch--then again maybe it was just some sick BMW humor.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Many eloquent replies so I won't add much. I am an unapologetic audi enthusiast over 20+ years. The S5 has lit my fire more than any previous audi. My BMW fanatic collegue just yesterday rode with me and could not stop complimenting the car. He said it was the first audi that may have him considering a brand switch--then again maybe it was just some sick BMW humor.
Its not, its the first car that is making me think of switching too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Its not, its the first car that is making me think of switching too.
The A5 made me switch to Audi from BMW.

When I first saw the A5 I thought it was stunning and I ordered one immediately. I have to admit that as time has gone on, I am no longer blown away by the appearance. Although perhaps this will change when it arrives next week after 4 months of waiting...:)

·
Registered
314 Posts

When I first saw the A5 I thought it was stunning and I ordered one immediately. I have to admit that as time has gone on, I am no longer blown away by the appearance. Although perhaps this will change when it arrives next week after 4 months of waiting...:)
Im sure it will, and if it doesn't than the car wasn't for you eh? haha.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I 2nd that. Currently driving e36 m3. Was waiting for new m3 or 335xi. S5 coming next month instead. Friend who has a 335i is jealous after testing the s5 with me. So his next car will be m5. Haha as u get older the toys get more expensive.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I placed my S5 order back in August, but did not have time to get to the dealer to actually drive one until just now. I really enjoyed the car's overall refinement, which Audi somehow managed to include on the standard equipment list without detracting from the outrageously fun-to-drive that I was expecting. The engine noise is really nice, a good menacing rumble -- like the overdubbed automobile engine noises soundtrack in the movie Bullitt, without sounding fake -- but not overweening. Suspension is tight, but the car doesn't feel like it will have me pissing blood for a week after driving a bumpy road. And the cockpit; gorgeous!

No, I can say definitively that I am NOT going to cancel my order. My drive tonight just made me that much more anxious for my car to arrive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.