Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the search, but only found SAJ, who ended up not getting a GMG.

Anyways, what I like in an exhaust is a high pitched scream, like in a Porsche or a Ferrari, and not a growl/rumble like american muscle cars. So, based on this preference, I decided to get an AWE exhaust, untill I saw this new video of the GMG S5 exhaust (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw8L8Ej-Oek ), which makes it sound much better than in their original video. So I was wondering if anybody has a GMG on their S5 (or has one incoming), or if anyone has heard one in person and could share what they thought about it, especially if they also heard an S5 AWE exhaust in person as well?

As for the other available exhausts, I felt the STaSIS exhaust was nice, and though I am sure the Milltek is a great exhaust, the sound is waay too much on the growl/rumble side for me, especially the non-resonated version, so I think I will be choosing between the GMG and AWE. Hopefully I can make a decision before my car comes in so I can order one. I just wish I could hear them side to side, in person.

Also, is the GMG headquarters anywhere near NYC, and if not, do they have an autorized retailer/installer close to NYC? And as far as price is concerned, I bet its the same as the AWE, so just under 2k for exhaust and downpipes, correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the GMG and all I can say is wow!!! I have heard the Miltek in person several times both inside the car and out,and it does not compare. The car sounds like nothing else on the road very exotic. I have heard great things about the AWE but I have also heard from there own people that it sounds like an american muscle car. Car is plenty loud without the down-pipes. I took a 300 mile trip yesterday and thought to myself if it was any louder it would be obnoxious. GMG is based in California. If you want contact Euroteck motorsports in Fl they are an authorized dealer of GMG and they will take care of you. Installation is very basic and any muffler shop/performance shop can do it . EUROTECK MOTORSPORTS 954-757-2118

·
Registered
384 Posts
I ordered the GMG downpipes and exhaust today. If the downpipes are unbearable I'm going to just take them off.

Was originally looking at the AWE but they are out of stock for 3-4 weeks.

GMG decided not to produce a quad exhaust system, apparently only the RS style pipes will be produced. I am still skeptical about this but I'm hoping for the best.

·
Registered
76 Posts
it looks great you will love it. Where in FL are you I have the GMG no downpipes I thought it wasnt going to be loud enough but im happy with my decision

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would have prefered the quad pipes, although I don't mind the oval RS pipes, as they look good and I don't think it makes my car look like an RS5 wannabe, since there is no RS5 as of now, and because I am not planning to de/rebadge my S5 (although depending on how the RS5 grill looks, I may consider buying one to replace the S5 grill, but I would remove the RS5 badge on it if it comes on the grill). Although, I am worried that the oval GMG pipes may not be large enough to properly fill the exhaust gaps left by the OEM quad exhaust pipes on the bumper/valance, as the pics on the GMG site site makes it seem to me that the ovals are too small. White08S5, do you feel that the ovals are wide enough so that it looks OEM on the car, cuz it could just be that the GMG photos are deciving? If they look like they fit well, is there any way you can take a few pics of the rear of your car, and also, if you can, a video of what the exhaust sounds like would be very helpful, as the GMG vids on YouTube are only of an S5 with the exhaust and downpipes, and it would be nice to compare to that the sound of a car with just the exhaust? Thanks... Also, did u get the regular polished chrome pipes, or the black onyx color pipes? And to Rezox, when you get the exhaust and downpipes installed, can you let me know if it makes the car too loud or if it produces a loud constant drone inside of the car at certain RPMs? Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Wow!
That exhaust sounds better than any other....nice choice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When I ordered the exhaust originally I wanted quad tips,but GMG convinced me to try the ovals and if I didn't like we would switch it. Im glad I got them because it looks like I have something different. The finish is great and yes it fill the gap perfectly. From experience nothing sounds better in person. Well maybe the capristo but I wasnt spending 5k on an exhaust. Everyday I drive this and can't get over the sound it is so exotic. My gas mileage now sucks even more. I personally the downpipes are not neccesary as they do not increase power one bit on the car it is plenty loud just perfect without. I wish I had time to post on Youtube.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have a GMG downpipe + Milltek non-resonated exhaust combo. I love the quad tip look much more than the ovals, so with this combo I get the best of both worlds; awesome gmg exhaust note and rumble with the awesome quad look.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Milltek makes the S5 sound like a mustang
I have to disagree. The AWE setup sounds like a mustang. The milltek resonated sounds close to stock but just deeper. When non-res'd it just increased the exhaust note but retained the deep note. Do u even have an actual car to base an accurate assessment?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Milltek makes the S5 sound like a mustang
I agree. I thought the AWE sounded the best, until I heard that GMG exhaust. I can see someone loving the milltek, but that low american v8 muscle grumble is not for me.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
GMG decided not to produce a quad exhaust system, apparently only the RS style pipes will be produced. I am still skeptical about this but I'm hoping for the best.
Worst case scenario you have it modified to have quad tips. Probably not that big of a deal.

-Ray

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree. I thought the AWE sounded the best, until I heard that GMG exhaust. I can see someone loving the milltek, but that low american v8 muscle grumble is not for me.
I agree too, the AWE and GMG sound the best and the Milltek does nothing for me. The Milltek obviosuly needs to be modified to get good sound results.
I personally run the AWE on my car and it sounds nothing like a Mustang

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree too, the AWE and GMG sound the best and the Milltek does nothing for me. The Milltek obviosuly needs to be modified to get good sound results.
I personally run the AWE on my car and it sounds nothing like a Mustang
Other than tommy and I, everybody who've responded to this thread have been Youtube cheerleaders (some don't even own an S5 yet). Only accurate way all non-owners can accurately gauge sound on YouTube is if we get all the systems together and record each one with the same equipment at the same bitrate. I've installed the resonated Milltek, then the removed resonator setup, then the full awe setup, awe dp + Milltek non-res, and now GMG dp + Milltek non-res and I think the GMG + Milltek sounds the best so far and I still feel (my own opinion) that the full AWE setup sounded the most like an American Mustang. It gurgled like one (this was what I couldn't stand the most and u youtubers can even hear it in the clips), rev'd like one, and the tips are as chunky as the tips you'd see on a mustang.

·
Vendor
181 Posts
Alwin,

Did you happen to install our system re-using the stock DPs? I'll be the first to admit that our catback sounds a lot more aggressive, gurgly, and throaty when the DPs are added, but it has a more refined character when used with the stock DPs. Two different types of sounds for two different types of owners.

Tommy is not running our DPs, so his assessment of the sound would be different than what you heard.

As far as tips go, that seems to be personal preference, too, but we've found most owners like a quad look better than oval on this car.

Todd

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
As far as tips go, that seems to be personal preference, too, but we've found most owners like a quad look better than oval on this car.
Do you happen to have any clear pictures of what the tips look like when looking at the car from behind? I'm curious how the double-wall effect looks to the car following you.

-Ray

1 - 20 of 22 Posts