Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Emissions

Hi

I just had the emission update today @ Audi in Wolverhampton.
Just out of curiosity I decided to get the engine mapped (not re-mapped) just mapped on a DYNO to establish its current output before and after. Results are below and attached.

Company: RRS-Rolling Road Services
Vehicle: 2009 (59) Audi A5 2.0TDI sport

Book/Brochure Values
P.S....... 168 BHP
Torque.. 258 lbf-ft
Before
P.S....... 175 BHP
Torque.. 257 lbf-ft
After
P.S....... 176.5 BHP
Torque.. 261 lbf-ft

The car feels almost the same. It does however respond at little better @ 1400-1500RPM.
I don't have any fuel economy figures yet but I will know by the end of next week after my daily commute to work. This is mainly motorway driving around 40 miles each way so the results will be easy to see.

Hope this helps......

Kind regards
Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Very interesting...shame you didn't get before and after emissions readings...

It does beg the question that if this ECU update (and additional airtake?) can bring the NOX levels down, then why they hell go through all the nonsense with the cheat device in the first place?!

According to these graphs its had no difference on the power/output, so unless the fix actually did sod all to the emissions, I'm left scratching my head...

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
How very dare you....if audi say they have fixed it how could you possibly question it. Frau Merkel will have words with her new bestie Teresa....expect a 4 am wake-up call.......let your S O know so she can put some clothes on before they let themselves in....,

·
Registered
109 Posts
I booked an appointment to do the update end of August but Iam having a change of heart after reading this..Shall I cancel it? I think VW should dothe honorable thing and compensate european customers as they did with the Americans...We are not second class customers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi SAM
The guys at the DYNO rolling road first impressions of the chart was that it looked like it had definitely been re-mapped.
His thoughts were that if it had been reduced in the mixture then they have increased the boost pressure.

I'm no expert in this remapping but if I look at these all i can see is that the curve is steeper after the update. This i do feel in the car with slightly better response at lower revs.

All i'm interested in really was that the car produced the same power. According to the chart it does.
My next issue is the fuel economy the same. This i will post next week...

FYI
My engine:
A5 2.0 TDI 2008–2011 1,968 cc (120.1 cu in) I4 turbo (CAHA) 125 kW (170 PS; 168 hp) at 4200, 350 N·m (258 lbf·ft) at 1750-2500

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
So no reduction in power, in fact a slight improvement. And nox is allegedlying reduced. So that just leaves an increase in co2 and/or increase in fuel consumption to consider.

And sam, until we have any information on fuel economy, why would you not have it done if there's a bit more power. I am sure if audi are boosting the turbo they are warranting the components affected by this fix for life.............

Did you buy your car for its nox emissions? I've just checked the A5/s5 digital manual and the nox isn't even stated.....

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Indeed. If the fix led to a decrease in power or fuel consumption, then I think there is a reasonable case for customers to feel aggrieved and perhaps seek compensation if they so wish.

However, based on before and after posted here, at least power doesn't seem to be affected, so its just down to fuel economy.

If nothing is affected then the fines and punishments faced by VW should purely be from those involved in air regulatory bodies and the appropriate government dept., who's job it is to ensure manufacturers maintain safe levels of emissions to improve pollution levels.

As an aside, when I was looking at the A3 with the 1.4TFSI CoD, I was comparing fuel costs using this site. Out of interest I compared it to my S5. Oddly the stated NOX from the 1.4TFSI was over 4 times higher than that from my S5...? Obviously CO2 was over 70g/km higher, but was surprised to see that particulates were so much lower...?

Something to do with the engine or exhaust being more efficient?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Emissions follow up

Just had a couple of days commuting to work and back after the NOx software update.

The car responds very well its feels smoother under acceleration and actually feel more lively. I need to find some open road and perform a 0 - 60 time.

Fuel economy.

Usually on my journey I get around 47-51 mpg. I'm now getting around 49-54 mpg. (mainly 32 miles of motorway 8 miles side roads) Looks like an increase of around 3 mpg.
I even tried the old lead boots drive usually getting around 41 mpg. i got 44 mpg over a 40 mile journey.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I would have no hesitation on saying Audi have done a ****great / fantastic**** job with this.
Steady....shouldn't of had to have an update in the bloody first place!

And there is still no indication that the original problem has been resolved....

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
So let's just get this right..

More torque, more bhp and better fuel economy but they never made it like that in the first place.

Anyone any ideas what the revised co2 is.........

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
If they can foist NQR 2.0 litre motors on us, then spend years denying, then fixing, the problem, then this is perfectly SNAFU, so I don't understand your concern, Racks...
I wonder whether there's been a real change in the NOx levels?

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Whitta you misunderstood my comment, as it is purely technical interest tinged with a dose of cynicism rather than concern. The diesel dogmover engine emissions are unaffected by wheel size, tyre width or profile or indeed body size. Its the same in a mondeo as it was in a focus. Go figure. Its not as if the french engine manufacturers or the American owners would lie, that's exclusively a German trait.

Equally I am sure fitting a tuning box, wringing the nuts off it and only doing 36 k miles a year is saving the planet too.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Oh, no, I got it - I'm just as cynical as you on this, mon ami. In fact, probably just as cynical, period.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
oohhh, ami.....

I have checked my archives and this is as good as it gets.

the car on the other hand .......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks,
I'm new to this (and drive an A4 - boo, hiss, get back to your own forum... (TDI 177 Black Edition Quattro)) but I was looking for some before and after figures for a comparison before committing to an update and these were the only ones I could find (quite surprising that Watchdog or AutoExpress or some such haven't had a look).
Anyway, I took MCHandley's graphs (thanks for doing these by the way) and tabulated them - I found the result quite surprising (particularly the torque) and have attached the output below. Let me know what you think.
Cheers,
A

Attachments

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
You know how to get me all hot and bothered, drawing all those graphs...!

Good work! What's interesting is that the chap subjectively reports better power lower down...when it seems objectively it is very different....I mean -20% BHP and -50% torque are not small changes...surely they are pretty noticeable?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
:)

That intrigued me too and I'd be keen to find out if it feels more lively because the rate of change in torque from 1600 RPM to peak torque (@~2600 RPM) is much higher in the "fixed" engine but it's starting from a much lower value. It might also be down to gear selection as I can't see the "fixed" car pulling hard between 1600 to 2000 RPM. In gear acceleration figures might be quite telling.
I may have to draw some more graphs!!
I'm not a mechanical engineer either so I might have to go and talk to one.
Cheers,
A

1 - 20 of 21 Posts