Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm still due for a late September (or so) delivery, and I'm sooo getting tempted by the used car market here in the US (the combination of high gas prices and a recessed economy means a lot of people are dumping premium cars cheap). So I've ended up reflecting at what else ~50k can buy:

It's just shy of an 02+ 996TT (50-54k on average)
..which automatically means any lower model 996 is also within range
Definitely in range of a 98-01 Acura NSX
Merc SL55 AMG (and therefore any lower model as well)
BMW E39 M5 (with lots of extra money to spare afterward)
BMW M3 Comp (our closest equivalent to CSL)

etc........

-Ray

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ray,

It is tempting, but there's nothing like a new car! An M5 would be nice though...

Out of curiosity, when was your allocation granted? I've been waiting for my dealer to get an MT6 allocation (they tell me I'm first on the list).

-Kyle

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No allocation for me yet, I ordered in April. Late September is still just a 'rough estimate' for me.

-Ray

·
Registered
483 Posts
Not to rain on your parade Ray, but if you don't have an allocation, late september delivery is not looking good.

·
Registered
209 Posts
sorry dude

Sorry dude.. USA allocations for October delivery came out July 15th according to my dealer. I would aim for November now, or that 2nd hand car seems like a good idea. I was lucky sort of (ordered the car in 2007 august and first in line) dealership got its first allocation for a manual A5 for october 2008 delivery. EEEEk. at least it is here!!!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a feeling that might be the case. The A5 is still atop my list of desirable cars for $50k, but at this point my eyes and ears are open for other opportunities. I agree that nothing beats a brand new car, so I'm only really in the market for a used one if it happens to match the options (color, transmission, etc) exactly how I would have ordered it new.

Patience is a virtue I suppose.

-Ray

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a feeling that might be the case. The A5 is still atop my list of desirable cars for $50k, but at this point my eyes and ears are open for other opportunities. I agree that nothing beats a brand new car, so I'm only really in the market for a used one if it happens to match the options (color, transmission, etc) exactly how I would have ordered it new.

Patience is a virtue I suppose.

-Ray
Ray,
I have always bought my cars about a year old, which makes a lot of sense financially. I ordered my A5 because it is outstanding in so many ways-every time I test drove it, I found my pulse racing! Nevertheless, I completely see your point about the temptation of all the options out there when you have around $50k to spend. I considered BMW 535/M5, 645/650 and Mercedes CLS500/550.

While those, and the cars you mentioned, are all good options, the A5/S5 is truly something out of the ordinary. As the ad says, "consider the cycle broken!"

At the end of the day, I suppose it depends on whether you want the sensible option now, or are comfortable going with your heart and waiting for this amazing machine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I was in your boat before getting the allocation. I was looking for a 2nd car. Living in the Northeast and always driving to through snow to go skiing, plus I might relocate to the mountains of Colorado. So the AWD handling was a big plus. I have to stay away from rear wheel drive cars since they do not go well with my driving style in the snow. The only "sport lux coup AWD" in the market is the A5 besides the BMW which I do not think isn't very lux inside.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At the end of the day, I suppose it depends on whether you want the sensible option now, or are comfortable going with your heart and waiting for this amazing machine.
I think for the most part I'm going to wait it out -- the cars that are tempting me are ones that I consider to be at least equally as amazing (later NSX, 996TT, etc) but obviously for different reasons. It would be sad to give up and settle for a G37, C-class, or 3-series at this point.

-Ray

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would call the dealer and put pressure on him to talk to the region manager (its what i did) to get an allocation for november. It doesn't hurt to ask!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'n getting tempted to consider others, but more on a "practicality" perspective. If you compare the 335i with the S5 in terms of practicality, it seems like the bimmer is a smarter option. In my perspective, the bimmer has better fuel economy, can easily have more power and go faster than an S5 (ECU upgrades), and is about $12K less than a comparable S5. On the S5 side, the car looks amazing, is much more rare than a 3-series bimmer, its larger and a little more comfortable, and it has that awesome V-8 rumble. Also, I won't have to deal with the crappy BMW dealers in DFW. So far the Audi is winning, but the longer I wait, the longer I am tempted to give up and go back to bimmer. I have a 540i now and it has been nothing short of an amazing car.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE -- just called my guy and got updated that production began on 7/16 and it leaves Germany on 8/11, expected to be at my dealership the week of 9/20. =) =) =)

Just in time, I was looking very seriously at a clean yellow NSX in the neighborhood........

ALSO -- he is sending me the official 2009 pricing, which I will post in the News section once I receive it.

-Ray

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'n getting tempted to consider others, but more on a "practicality" perspective. If you compare the 335i with the S5 in terms of practicality, it seems like the bimmer is a smarter option. In my perspective, the bimmer has better fuel economy, can easily have more power and go faster than an S5 (ECU upgrades), and is about $12K less than a comparable S5. On the S5 side, the car looks amazing, is much more rare than a 3-series bimmer, its larger and a little more comfortable, and it has that awesome V-8 rumble. Also, I won't have to deal with the crappy BMW dealers in DFW. So far the Audi is winning, but the longer I wait, the longer I am tempted to give up and go back to bimmer. I have a 540i now and it has been nothing short of an amazing car.
The temptation that I spoke of in the thread above is over. I just got back from test driving the 335 and I must say that I wasn't all that impressed. Its a nice car and indeed it is fast, but the refinement of the car just wasn't there. As I mentioned, I'm seeking a suitable replacement for the 540i, and the 335 just doesn't cut it in terms of smoothness and refinement. Now I understand why there is such a price difference between the two cars.

On another topic, in my opinion, the 650i is a much closer comparison product to the S5 than the 335i is. I know there is a price difference, but the S5 has comparable finishings/options as the 650. Plus, the S5 has comparable performance numbers to the 650. So, when you compare those two vehicles, the S5 is a heck of a bargain!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.