Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may recall that someone reversed into my A5 last month cracking the standard grill. I made a claim on the insurance and contacted the dealer for an appointment. The earliest date they could give me was 31 August 2010 (dealer = licence to print money). Good news was that they agreed to replace the standard grill with an S5 grill and then replace the S5 badge with an S-line badge. Sorted. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I dropped the car off at the dealers this morning. Turns out that my insurance company misled me on the policy.

They offered me two products (i) slightly cheaper policy around 1,800 euros fully comprehensive/global but with a 2% franchise/excess (which they conservatively and considerably underestimated to be up to 750 euros) or (ii) a slightly more expensive 2,100 euros policy fully comprehensive/global but with no 2% franchise/excess. I took number (ii).

Turns out that my policy only kicks in at 750 euros! So, claims above 750 euros I pay NOTHING AT ALL but for all claims under 750 euros I have to pay everything! This was not explained to me at the time but appears to have been buried in the French/Dutch language paperwork. Annoying, I know. It does not make sense.

Really annoying thing is that the replacement grill work and the touch-up on the paintwork may not exceed 750 euros. The dealer appreciates the dilemma and indicated he will take this into account when pricing.

He told me that in the past, other clients with claims under 750 euros have disappeared momentarily to make the damage to their own cars WORSE. :yikes: One guy even did a key scratch down TWO PANELS whilst standing in front of the dealer. :wall:

I just said that that was not my style. So we wait and see what he thinks the actual work will be. I may just have to cough up the dough.

Any views on what to do or how much you think the work may cost? I appreciate it is difficult without paintwork photos but there are two minor scratches on left and right of grill about 10 cm long. Dealer will call me in the morning...

Cheers

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
So €749.99 and you pay all of it, €750.00 and you pay nothing?

Seriously...? Seriously?!?!?!?! That is absolutely stupid because if I've understood the numbers right, the second policy is only beneficial if you pretty much write your car off and need to claim on nearly all of its value. In which case why would you ever take the more expensive policy as this is never a 'likely' occurrence.

I would be very very unhappy with your insurer, but I don't really know what you should do.

In similar circumstances my brother had a very expensive computer keyboard (circa £150) that stopped working. On calling the manufacturer they asked for evidence that it no longer worked but without it being returned and this of course is impossible to do. So upon discussion with them it was established that he could set the device on fire, send them pictures and they would send a new one - for free. Ergo a little bit of fun burning a pc keyboard with huge confusion at their policies, followed by a free replacement turning up a few days later. We figured this was just because they didn't want to allow someone to scam them and end up with two.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tim. I know, it is pretty unbelievable.

Actually, I had to make a claim in April for when a Porsche Cayenne smacked into the back of the car at 5am with some joyriders at the wheel (can you imagine I had left it parked - safely and properly - outside a restaurant and not driven home as I had been drinking and did not want to take the risk). Thankfully the damage was not structural but largely superficial (it looked much worse than it was) and cost in the region of 11,000 euros...so the policy has worked...

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Thanks Tim. I know, it is pretty unbelievable.

Actually, I had to make a claim in April for when a Porsche Cayenne smacked into the back of the car at 5am with some joyriders at the wheel (can you imagine I had left it parked - safely and properly - outside a restaurant and not driven home as I had been drinking and did not want to take the risk). Thankfully the damage was not structural but largely superficial (it looked much worse than it was) and cost in the region of 11,000 euros...so the policy has worked...
:yikes::yikes::yikes: €11,000 for superficial damage????

Cheers

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Let the Buyer beware.. Insurance is a dodgy area. Had a colleague who had problems because he had fitted an aftermarket spoiler on a Golf and made a claim for a break in. Insurance company refused to pay because the car was modded!!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I think you'll find that when they remove the grill there is a cracked headlight moulding.

That should do it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
642 Posts
just say you had the rs5 grille! or get them to say since it was smashed.....a screw was snapped...and there was an extra hour or 2 of labour to get it off

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahaha! Thanks guys

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
702 Posts
Reminds me of when my A6 was broken into and I had an overnight bag stolen. Insurers told me that they would only pay a maximum of £100 for car contents but that I had an excess of £100. Erm... come again ?!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
This is the norm in the UK its called voluntary excess. You pay the first xxx GBP of any claim and the insurance pays the rest. The high your voluntary excess the less your yearly premium will be.

The only down side to this is that some people do not report minor bumps and damage if it falls below there excess as it will affect the premium and no claims bonus, even though the insurance company does not pay out. However this is against the insurance rules as all accidents and vandalism should be reported. If not, and they find out, you could be left high and dry when a big claim comes in.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
And another insurance scam....

Daughter: Somebody ran in the back of her car, 100% other drivers fault, minor damage but insurance claim. No problem, ncd intact. That is until she comes to renew. Putting in details to websites all viable quotes are £100-200 more expensive if she enters the 100% no fault accident than if she doesn't.

So much for no fault accident, no effect on premiums and ncd.

Bear in mind next time you are claiming uninsured losses.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The only down side to this is that some people do not report minor bumps and damage if it falls below there excess as it will affect the premium and no claims bonus, even though the insurance company does not pay out. However this is against the insurance rules as all accidents and vandalism should be reported. If not, and they find out, you could be left high and dry when a big claim comes in.
There are such grey lines around that last bit. Someone like me, and probably you, if we had a tiny little scratch on a body panel on our car we'd probably get it fixed; and ergo that's an accident.

Whereas many many people I know have cars covered in bumps and dents and marks as if it's the norm, I've never understood it. And what about kerb markings! Walk down a street in London and more than 50% of the parked cars will have kerbed wheels; will these need to be declared because I'm sure the owners won't!

Also Chris, I am very jealous that your economy is more than double mine!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should stop in Belgium on your next trip to Monaco. The cars here are literally covered in dents, scratches, all sorts of stuff. My favourite hang-up is watching the locals parking or driving away. There appears to be nothing bad thought in Brussels of "bumping" your way out of or into a short space.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is the norm in the UK its called voluntary excess. You pay the first xxx GBP of any claim and the insurance pays the rest. The high your voluntary excess the less your yearly premium will be.
The point is that when I selected the more expensive policy, I thought it was taking the excess off. Which it does. But only above 750 euros. Pffft.

Still not heard from the dealer...starting to get peeved about it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
YES!!! Dealer called. Work done. Car repaired. New S5 grill with S-line badge. Bumper work...

...€763. Oh yes!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
YES!!! Dealer called. Work done. Car repaired. New S5 grill with S-line badge. Bumper work...

...€763. Oh yes!
Good news on the new bumper and getting €13 back ;) from the insurers.

Cheers

·
Registered
363 Posts

...€763. Oh yes!
Now the dealer can give you a discount on servicing, dealer fit options, accessories, fluffy dice.......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
One thing that you guys should consider is "diminished value." I work at an auto repair shop and I always fight for my customers who have wrecked their vehicles. You don't always get it since insurance companies don't ever want to pay for anything. Every now and then you will come across an adjuster that tries to do the right thing. It's is worth a shot...especially on a new A5.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts