Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my A5 Tip for about 6-7 weeks and have nearly 2,500 miles on it, all very conservative perhaps even gentle driving by most standards, a mix of highway and city, albeit in the dusty desert. The dealer told me to have the first oil change at 5,000 miles (every 10K thereafter), but it seems some people are opting to do it sooner than that. I want to do everything possible to keep the car for many years (15 or more?!) so I would rather risk doing it too often than not often enough, but I don't want to "waste" my oil changes either. I have Audi Care and will take it to the dealer for the oil change.

Any thoughts on the best mileage for the first oil change considering my driving conditions?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Guess it's partly a matter of personal preference. I had mine changed at about 1500 miles (whilst the car was was in for some mods) at at price of some £120 :( , mindful of the common wisdom that any new car generally accumalates trace quantities of swarf, excess sealing/coatings, etc in the oil in its early miles.

I doubt that given your driving profile you'd be at serious risk should you wait until the 5K mark, but an early change can't hurt the car (only your wallet!) and would bring peace of mind!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've made this argument before, but it's fallen on deaf ears. I'll make it again anyway...

If your normal change interval is 10,000 miles, then 5000 is already early. Some people want to go earlier than early by recommending 2500, 1500, or less. The factory recommends to do the first one at 5000 for fairly particular engineering reasons. If they thought much earlier than that was better for the car, they would have recommended that.

It certainly won't hurt to do it before 5000. But don't kid yourself that you're doing a world of good. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that no one can find any statistically significant longevity difference between cars that shortcut their first oil change interval by half, and those that followed the maintenance guidelines to the letter.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had my first service yestrday at 5000 miles in the midst of a 6000 mile road trip. Most of my mileage has been at highway speeds (70-80 mph) and the tech told me that everything looked fine. The selling dealer in Reno, NV, was rather insistant that the recommend time/mileage was the correct time to do the service and anything else was a waste of $$. He also told me to drive it normally--DON'T BABY IT. If its gonna break, do it on the factories dime

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have just spoken to two dealers' service departments.They were both quite sure that a post running in oil change was not needed.
Both said just wait for the MMI to tell me when to change the oil and that could be up to 2 years! I asked if they were sure and they were very certain.Working on the theory if they could get more cash out of me they would perhaps the long life oil really is up to the job and an extra change is unnecissary.A rough quote from both was that whilst other manufacturers might reccommend fresh oil after running in Audi do not.I'll still get it done if most people think this advice is wrong but maybe it's not.
Thoughts?

3.0 TDI sport.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have mixed opinions on the matter. Mercedes claims lifetime warranty on their automatic transmission fluid, but at 150k miles, my C230 Kompressor started slipping and not holding gear on occasion. Further research showed that if I had done the oil flush at maybe 100k miles (like many 'old school' mechanics recommend), then I wouldn't be having those issues. Members of the forum I was participating in all agreed that the service interval was rediculous (same goes with their 12k mile oil change interval).

Now I've also built a few engines for the purpose of track day racing, and it's very common practice for us to run a fairly heavy oil like straight 50 weight for the first 1000 miles and then change it so that it will collect any dust or debris that occured during the build or machining process. This was the advice given by Superior Automotive, a machine shop that is trusted by Jay Leno and many other deep-pocketed enthusiasts.

With that in mind, I don't see any harm in changing the oil at 1500-2500 miles and thereafter just following the normal service routine.

I also agree that the car should not be babied in its early mileage since it requires at least a medium load to correctly seat the rings. Maybe not doing redline pulls right off the bat, but just drive it normally. That being said, I'm sure people who have been test driving the demo cars at dealerships didn't baby the cars either, and most of those will be just fine.

-Ray

·
Registered
298 Posts
The manual for my S5 says 5K. I will go by those recommendations to avoid warranty issues. Some say that the new engine parts spew fragments for about 5K miles, and that an early first change is likely to leave damaging particles floating around for 10K miles until the next scheduled change. I don't know if this is a bunch of bull or not, but I don't want Audi to use it as ammunition if I ever have a problem with the car that could be attributed to the deviation from their recs. Of course changing the lube early and then again at 5k would seem to cover all bases if you find the need to do so.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Some say that the new engine parts spew fragments for about 5K miles, and that an early first change is likely to leave damaging particles floating around for 10K miles until the next scheduled change.

That's how it was explained to me by my father, a VW/Audi master technician. Of course changing early and then again at the first suggested interval will work. But the danger is doing at at 1500 and then waiting until 10k.

Controversial subject to be sure. As long as you're at least meeting the recommended intervals, you're doing fine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, everyone, for the helpful input. I will probably end up doing the first oil change somewhere between 4K and 5K. Meanwhile, what it really needs is a wash!

And I may have given the impression I'm babying the car, but I'm not -- not intentionally, at least. I just don't have a habit of driving cars hard. In fact, in all the years I've been driving I don't think I've hit the redline once!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks, everyone, for the helpful input. I will probably end up doing the first oil change somewhere between 4K and 5K. Meanwhile, what it really needs is a wash!

And I may have given the impression I'm babying the car, but I'm not -- not intentionally, at least. I just don't have a habit of driving cars hard. In fact, in all the years I've been driving I don't think I've hit the redline once!

Thanks again.
NO need to apologize. Its your car do with it what makes you happy- just don't get weird on us:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread...

In the past, on my high performance engines, I've believed that changing the oil at ~1000 miles is a good idea to wash out excess build debris before running the engine to its fullest. I've always decided to spend the extra money to complete this oil change, which in retrospect, only helps me feel more comfortable while running the engine harder after the break-in period. I've heard stories of people finding small metal shavings in the first oil change, even though I don't want to believe this can happen from Audi, it doesn't seem too far fetched for even our cars...

Is there any DISADVANTAGE to changing the oil prematurely (within the 500-1500 mile interval) besides the financial burden?

·
Registered
383 Posts
A suggestion

I've had my A5 Tip for about 6-7 weeks and have nearly 2,500 miles on it, all very conservative perhaps even gentle driving by most standards, a mix of highway and city, albeit in the dusty desert. The dealer told me to have the first oil change at 5,000 miles (every 10K thereafter), but it seems some people are opting to do it sooner than that. I want to do everything possible to keep the car for many years (15 or more?!) so I would rather risk doing it too often than not often enough, but I don't want to "waste" my oil changes either. I have Audi Care and will take it to the dealer for the oil change.

Any thoughts on the best mileage for the first oil change considering my driving conditions?
I did the oil change at 700 miles and then one at 2500 on my S5 and had the oil analyzed by Blackstone labs. The results did show that in the early life there are more traces of various metals in the oil, BUT this does not necessarily mean that the life of the Engine is shortened.

My opinion is that for the cost and peace of mind (and your dusty conditions) I would change the oil, but particularly the filter and have the dealer pay close attention to any metal particles that may be trapped by the filter.

The reason is that there have been a very small number of A5 Engines that have prematurely failed due to metal particles originating from poorly manufactured intake manifolds. There is a TSB on this issue. By changing the oil early, you will get strong confidence that you don't have this problem, or heaven help that you do. Either way, I would recommend doing the oil change in this particular case, on the A5 for that reason.

Hope this is of help.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Surely the oil filter would trap any fragments that were big enough to cause damage. Thats what it's there for.
My first oil change is scheduled for about 16000 miles according to the service display.
I followed the cars recomendations on my previous A4 1.8t at roughly 14000 mile intervals with no problems at all.

Longlife oil is designed for these long intervals.

Still, I can understand the peace of mind that doing and early change would give, its just so bl*!dy expensive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does everybody go through their dealerships to get the oil changed? I'm thinking about spending the extra money to change the oil at 1000 miles (only at ~700 right now) to help ease my mind, now and in the future.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
My first oil change is scheduled for about 16000 miles according to the service display.
Thats almost certainly a mistake for a European car. Quite a lot of people suffered a bug in the software that pushed the oil service on to the main service interval. (been past posts on that and I had it too).

The first oil change is at around 9000 miles on variable servicing with the first service at around 18000 miles. Dont rely on the dealers. Mine told me 18000 was first oil change but didnt realise the car has two displays for servicing with the A5 (oil and service) compared to just one on previous models.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I am sure that my dealer told me to ignore the oil service info and just go off the main service info as there was a mismatch in the software that gave different readings
This ties in with precious versions of my engine whereby the nominal service interval is 20000 miles but the variable system works out the actual from driving style, conditions etc.
I am going to check again with my dealer to make sure.

Are there any dealer techies out there who have the definative answer to this issue ?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Ignore the dealer. The amount of misinformation that comes from them is more than the internet. I was told three different things by three different people at my dealership.

The reason there i an oil mileage counter is because it needs to be done at a different time. The software fault caused the first one to miss the 9000 mark and equal the 18000 one.

·
Registered
871 Posts
So my oil change display says in 2000 miles and the service one says in 7000 miles. I guess the oil service will cost about £175 and the main service about £300. whats the point in it having 2 services in 5000 miles, it doesnt make sense. what the heck do they do on the main service if the oil was changed just 5000 miles previous to that :confused:

Surely dealers are there to make money out of us so its confusing that mine said dont bring it in for the oil service but wait until the main service

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
So my oil change display says in 2000 miles and the service one says in 7000 miles.
That doesnt sound right. The variable rate is of course variable but tends to be around 9000 for oil and 18000 for service.

If you go the non-variable route I believe its both every 10k or 12k or something like that.

Surely dealers are there to make money out of us so its confusing that mine said dont bring it in for the oil service but wait until the main service
Doesnt make them competent at what they are doing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts