Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I have just registered today after finding a link to this site via audiworld. I am planning on getting an S5 next year and will need to fix a childseat in the rear via the isofix fixings. Has anyone out there had any experience of doing this, and what is the rear room like? Neither my wife nor I are particularly tall so the front seats won't be pushed right back. I know a saloon car would be more practical (as my wife keeps reminding me), but I want a coupe while I am still young enough to enjoy it! By the way I am in Birmingham, UK.
Thanks for any advice.
James

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi Guys. I have just registered today after finding a link to this site via audiworld. I am planning on getting an S5 next year and will need to fix a childseat in the rear via the isofix fixings. Has anyone out there had any experience of doing this, and what is the rear room like? Neither my wife nor I are particularly tall so the front seats won't be pushed right back. I know a saloon car would be more practical (as my wife keeps reminding me), but I want a coupe while I am still young enough to enjoy it! By the way I am in Birmingham, UK.
Thanks for any advice.
James
I have two children seats in back. I didn't use the isofix since the seats I had previously were not isofix. One is a reglular raiser, the other is a booster seat. My kids just turned 3 and 5 years old last week. The eldest can pull the seat belt over lap and fasten it herself. The other, the seats move forward on the touch of a button, and I have to bend a little to fasten the seat belt over her lap, but not too much of a problem....

Not much of a problem all in all - my kids love the car (tickles their stomach when I accelerate) - it's tougher for them to get in and out of, but they don't mind at all (kids....). They like the little compartment between seats to put little toys or books in.

I take my kids to school nearly every week-day, and pick them up at least twice per week....

If you do get isofix, it is very practical for small baby seats, otherwise, useless if you are tying the child with the seat belt.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks for any advice.
James
We'll be taking my S5 back to my hometown in 10 days for Christmas vacation (Holiday:) )which is a 600 mile roundtrip. My daughter and our 12 month old grandson will be going with so I'll let you know how a longer trip goes although S5France's day to day experience is probably more helpful for you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Bckling in a 12 month old will be a bit of sport (the seat belts in the baby seats for that group are always a pain in the .....) so that added ith the extra contorsion will be no fun, but liveable..

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have used a child seat in our S5 using surefix and whilst there are no problems with its use, getting the seat in with child in place is impossible, climbing in and out of the back is a bind but it does work.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks guys--I'm sure it will be a challenge but probably one of the few times the infant will be in there. The alternative was to take my wife's A3 and heck that just wouldn't be any fun.:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Jimmy, my son has just turned 5 and I can recommend the Jane Indy plus isofix seat. Although he is secured into the seat with the seat belt (which he does himself), the fact that the seat itself is secured independantly is great when you want to have some fun. There's nothing worse than an unoccupied car seat flying around a car as you brake or corner enthusiastically. The leg room is find too. Certainly plenty for that age, and the centre section is good for toys etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a maxi cosi priori XP (Isofix) seat in the back of mine. The S5 is our only car so my 18 month old son has had to get used to it. Have to say it is a bit of a pain getting him in and out, however if you want a coupe then that's what you have to put up with. The only issue I have had so far is that the seat actually pushes on the headrest and after the first week I noticed a mark indented on the the rear head rest:eek: . The child seat is tiltable but this didn't help. So what I have had to do is not force the seat all the way back into the main car seat but have used some towels to keep the child seat that little bit further forward and stop it damaging the S5 seats. All now ok and car seat very firmly fixed in position.:cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, that is very useful info. My son is nearly 2 so is almost the right size for the next size seat (and certainly will be by the time I get the S5).

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't have my car yet. (due last month) However I definately recommend fixing the seat to the car. My Subaru had this system and it kept the seat in place when the kids were not in the car and I was having fun. Also in the event of a crash the kids body does not have to stop the weight of the seat along with his/ her own body. Just extra safety for the kidos.

BTW, we also have a MINI and it is no problem getting kids in/ out of the back. The oldest 10 does everything himself. Our daughter who just turned 5 gets in and pulls the belt across but can not latch herslef yet. It is easiest to put one foot into the rear footwell, reach in and latch it. I am smaller at 5' 8" but it is no big deal for me.

·
Registered
677 Posts
An update now that I have had my car for a week and 1/2 now. The kids have no problem getting in and out. The seat back forward and back switch is really cool. My 10 year old showed me how he can flip the seat forward hit the switch and the seat moves all the way forward. Then when he gets back in he flips the seat back and hits the reaward switch. It automatically stops in the previous spot before moving forward. If he hits it a second time it will move backwards till he releases the button. There is no automatic backwards. I imagine this is so it will not squish legs and feet.

On the actuall kid seat note. My Simpson (Graco) booster for my daughter does not fit all the way down into the rear buckets. It sits at a very slight list. However it is not a really problem. However a real problem was she was stepping on the front of the seat to get up into it. I now have a small cover that I picked up at Babies R US. It is sticky plastic on one side so it does not slip on the seat. The other is kind of felt cloth that is absorbent for spils. The shape covers the entire seat bottom and up the back a few inches. There are two holes for the LATCH or isofix system. The front drops down towards the floor and there are 3 mesh pockets for holding kid stuff. So far it is working really well and keeping her shoe marks off the leather.

My son usually snaps in her buckle but if not I step in 1 foot and buckle her. Then a quick snap in and she is good to go. She is able to unbuckle herself easily.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a maxi cosi priori XP (Isofix) seat in the back of mine. The S5 is our only car so my 18 month old son has had to get used to it. Have to say it is a bit of a pain getting him in and out, however if you want a coupe then that's what you have to put up with. The only issue I have had so far is that the seat actually pushes on the headrest and after the first week I noticed a mark indented on the the rear head rest:eek: . The child seat is tiltable but this didn't help. So what I have had to do is not force the seat all the way back into the main car seat but have used some towels to keep the child seat that little bit further forward and stop it damaging the S5 seats. All now ok and car seat very firmly fixed in position.:cool:
Hi Andy,

Can I just ask you to re-confirm that you are using maxicosi w/ isofix in your S5 and all is ok? Seems there is a height restriction that others are complaining about and the maxicosi website doesnt list the back seat as an option. Your input is a big help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 4 month old and an S5 (wife drives an Acura MDX). So we tried the baby seat in the S5 this weekend, and lets just say it is do-able, but its a bit of a bitch.

As the seat needs to be rear facing, the passenger seat needs to be almost all the way forward in order for it to fit behind the seat. Wife is small, so there was enough leg room for her.

Putting the car seat with the child in it into the car is tight. It will rub on the seat and on the pillar as you squeeze it in. But once in, the seat and child are as secure as any other vehicle.

I would not recommend using a car seat in an S5 until such time that the child is old enough (or heavy enough) to use a forward facing car seat.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a newborn (Dec. 28th) and use the Chico Keyfit 30 in my A5. My wife also has an Acura MDX. While we expect he'll be in her SUV most of the time, the Chico KeyFit 30 fits into my car in case I need to do a pick-up or drop off. I keep an extra base in my car for those instances. There really is no room for another passenger with the infant seat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a newborn (Dec. 28th) and use the Chico Keyfit 30 in my A5. My wife also has an Acura MDX. While we expect he'll be in her SUV most of the time, the Chico KeyFit 30 fits into my car in case I need to do a pick-up or drop off. I keep an extra base in my car for those instances. There really is no room for another passenger with the infant seat.
I have an S5, and getting the Chico KeyFit 30, now what do you mean you there is no room for another passenger? Does that mean a passenger cant fit in the passenger seat up front? That seat takes up all that room back there? We are average in height , i am 5'9" and my wife is 5'6".

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
We have 8 month old twins and have just bought 2 Maxi Cosi Tobi seats as they're just at the stage where they now need forward facing seats.

I was dead set on ISOFIX seats, but when we actually started to look at what was available, we found that the ISOFIX weren't any more secure than a decently fitted belt-secured one. The ISOFIX seats are also both more expensive (the Maxi Cosi Priori XP is about the only one available either with or without ISOFIX, but is exactly £100 more with it) and also generally heavier and taller.

Although the little ones will be far more often in my wife's Touran than my A5 there will be the odd occasion when I need to pick them up from nursery, so need to be able to swap the seats into the back of my car fairly easily. I tried the Britax Duo Plus in e back of my car and found it quite fiddly to get the ISOFIX to engage correctly and it's really difficult to see the little colour indicators that tell you it's installed correctly as they're designed to be seen from the side.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have an S5, and getting the Chico KeyFit 30, now what do you mean you there is no room for another passenger? Does that mean a passenger cant fit in the passenger seat up front? That seat takes up all that room back there? We are average in height , i am 5'9" and my wife is 5'6".
Some problem..
I have Besafe Izi Combi without isofix for my 9 months child. I do not order the car with isofix because from this forum I knew about the height that baby seat has with isofix. My choise is the besafe which is also rear face in the back seat. A little problem with the passenger seat which must go forward. The seat must be rear facing, so the passenger front seat needs to be almost forward in order to fit the baby seat behind the passenger front seat. Passenger has problem with his/her leg when getting in (me with height 1.85cm I can not seat in passenger seat if we have baby in the back). After the child became 1 year old I will turn it for front face.

·
Registered
124 Posts
To be honest, haven't tried since my son was born. You probably can fit two adults with the Chicco KeyFit. I say there's no room but my wife is 5'6 as well. Once we're all in the car again I'll try to get a picture or two to confirm. I installed the seat in the center of the back row. I'll send a pic of that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks! That will be helpful. I did not know you could center install it? What about the plastic tray beneath, you have some sort of protection for it? I have a 7 year old in a booster back there too. My wife has a Touareg so she'll be the main transport for the family, my car is to pick up from grandmas if need be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts