Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry if this was discussed before but I wanted to get perspective from previous BMW 335 owners on performance between 335 and S5. Stock for stock, does S5 feel about the same as 335 in terms of performance?

Unfortunately, I cant' seem to find too many S5s around for a test drive but perhaps I can get some idea on performance between the two cars if someone has experience with both.

Thank you

p.s.- I've seen the video comparing 335 vs S5 on the track. Not really interested in tracking the car. Perhaps more in terms of day to day - stop light to stop light comparo would be great.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A suprising post from E90 forum

I felt the car with stock suspension was less than inspiring. I suppose it depends on what your last bmw experience was, but I felt that the car felt extremely loose when compared to the E46 M and E39 M-Sport (M-sport used to have different suspension back in the day). Attack a road with any irregularities and the car reacted poorly, plenty of bounce, and a shocking amount of roll for an "ultimate driving machine." Which is why i'm so eager to point out that I wouldn't trade MY CURRENT car in for one. It's excellent now. I'd definitely account some of the stock 3's poorer handling characteristics to the RFTs, but the S5 seems to grip and grip. You do miss some of the fun antics of letting the tail hang out, and cornering by throttle, but what you get in return is a car that surprises you with how fast it can corner without understeer. The S5 feels much more stable at higher speeds, it exhibits less pitch when thrown into the corner. (Dare I say the oem 3 has more body roll than an audi? Yes. I dare say so). The 3 does seem to come flatter out of the corner (i'd probably attribute that to the wait difference, and the fact that I'm undoubtebly more used to one car than the other).

If you're going to mod, the 3 is clearly the choice. Not just for sheer power, but because I can say from experience that a 335 with quality aftermarket suspension is miles miles milesss ahead of a stock one. I think too many people have developed the mindset that BMWs automatically handle better than Audi's because of what they've been reading over the last 15 years. But the problem with that thinking is that the mags and journalists have all developed such theory based on the BMWs of old and defined the ideas on the handling prowess of M cars. Over the years, the M cars have maintained that handling superiority while the 3's have been given less and less of that element in order to appeal to a larger market. While the S might not be the RS, it's still designed to be more performance oriented than the regular A variants. The attention that they put into performance oriented driving dynamics becomes on par or better than what BMW puts into their regular cars.

I'm really sorry to say this guys, but we really do just drive 3-series. It's bmw's big money seller. We're bottom feeders on the totem pole. The S5 is an S-branded car. It's designed to handle better than the Audi's that we've come to generalize as "handles like buick". That comes together to put the S5 and the 335i on an equal performance plane. So if they're equal performing cars and the S5 is better at pretty much everything else... how is the S5 not a better car? It's not like you're buying $50+k cars and can't afford to spend $400+ more dollars a year on gas.

And now I have to go delete one of my posts so that my 2000th post isn't wasted defending Audi on a BMW forum :cool:
Yes. It feels heavier, but stock for stock, it would've beaten my car in nearly any handling situation. The ride quality is better. The build quality is better. The sound system is 1000x better. Comparing to pre-09 e9x's, the controls are much more easily accessed. It has a better stance on the road. It looks like a higher end car. And it sounds amazing. I love my 335i to death. But I would never be as fanboyish to think its a better car than the S5. It just doesn't feel like it's on the same level.

And it really doesn't drive like a buick. Via http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=compare&car1=45fd0fcbd70cb&car2=458da72e81532

Nordschleife S5 - 8:26 335i - 8:26
Hockenheim Short S5 - 1:17.2 335i - 1:17.8
Autozeitung test track S5 - 1:44.6 335i - 1:45.8
SportAuto wet handling test S5 - 1:29.8 335i - 1:35.8
Serres Racing Circuit S5 - 1:34.80 335i - 1:35.25

Hmmm, so its as fast on the the ring, and slightly faster everywhere else... even though its a lot heavier. Sure it doesn't feel as agile and as quick. But results are results. Just ask the GTR about "results" even when its handicapped by weight and the un-bmw-esque AWD. The S5 does all of this with vastly superior ride quality to the OEM crap that comes standard on the 335i that so many on this board have tossed for something aftermarket.

You know, someone on here has a quote in their sig from a G37 vs. 335i comparison in which a writer said "I'm not sure what it is, but the 335i feels $15000 better" or something to that extent. If you spend one night out in an S5, you'll say to yourself "I'm not sure what it is, but the S5 feels $15000 better." And if you don't you're probably better suited to driving a Z4, S2000, E46 M3 or something else that actually comes as a performance car. The S5 is absolutely fantastic.

I do love my 335i to death though. I wouldn't trade it in right now for anything not named 911... but that's $12000 in mods later. Stock, I really wasn't that impressed. The S5 in stock configuration; however, is damn near perfect (near = supercharger ;))
Looks like we have a secret admirer on the other side...

·
Registered
483 Posts
I remember reading that thread and I was on the other side too.... I was ready to place an order for a 335xi until I found that there was NO way I could order the M sport package without resorting to aftermarket. I also didn't like the fact that BMW treat everything AWD as second class (e.g., no sport suspension option, unavailability of larger wheels, no M3 with xDrive, etc.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I remember reading that thread and I was on the other side too.... I was ready to place an order for a 335xi until I found that there was NO way I could order the M sport package without resorting to aftermarket. I also didn't like the fact that BMW treat everything AWD as second class (e.g., no sport suspension option, unavailability of larger wheels, no M3 with xDrive, etc.)
I just sold my 335 coupe and considering getting an S5. I am not quite sure about the wait though.

As far as your above statement goes: Sport suspension, larger wheels and all of that stuff IS and have always been available for 335xi. N. American market is not receiving the M-Tech package which is applicable to all 3 series. Most likely BMW will bring the M-tech in 2010MY. Most of the contents of the package is cosmetic though. M3 is a different story.... AWD version of that car would be nice.

IMO 335 vs S5 is pretty much the same as far as what we have been hearing. Handling and performance goes to BMW and design and interior quality (even though I disagree) goes to Audi. I like the fact that stuff like AWD, leather, heated seats are all standard w/ Audi. BMW charges for all of this..... I also like the fact that S5 does not have run flat tires, it has a jack and a spare as well as an oil dip stick which BMW lacks.

Another thing to keep in mind might be the dealer experience. I've heard nothing but negative stuff about Audi service / dealership experience in my area. Taking the BMW for a service has always been a great experience.

Overall, I would say both cars are about the same and I still have not made up my mind if I should go a head and order M3 or wait 12 months for a S5.

·
Registered
384 Posts
When I sat in a 328xi which is the same body as the 335, the interior made you feel "boxed in" and was far less appealing than the S5. As far as the ride, which is similar to the 335, it doesn't drive as smooth.

I think in terms of performance the V8 speaks for itself.

·
Registered
483 Posts
As far as your above statement goes: Sport suspension, larger wheels and all of that stuff IS and have always been available for 335xi. N. American market is not receiving the M-Tech package which is applicable to all 3 series. Most likely BMW will bring the M-tech in 2010MY. Most of the contents of the package is cosmetic though. M3 is a different story.... AWD version of that car would be nice.
If by "offer" you mean I can buy the parts from BMW dealers, then yes, the sport suspension and the 19" wheels for the 335xi is available. But my point is you cannot build a 335xi with sport suspension and 19" wheels from the factory without paying dealer prices for the parts. If you want those equipment, you'd have to buy them separately and replace the existing parts that comes the factory; and that means more $$$. That bothered me to no end when I was ready to place a deposit last year.

In the end, I am glad I got what I got. I have only seen 2 other A5s and 2 S5s in the wild; while I see at least 3 e92 coupes on my way to work everyday (and at least another 3 coming home from work).

As for the wait, there are numerous threads floating around recently about availability. It looks like the S5 allocation taps are turning on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If by "offer" you mean I can buy the parts from BMW dealers, then yes, the sport suspension and the 19" wheels for the 335xi is available. But my point is you cannot build a 335xi with sport suspension and 19" wheels from the factory without paying dealer prices for the parts. If you want those equipment, you'd have to buy them separately and replace the existing parts that comes the factory; and that means more $$$. That bothered me to no end when I was ready to place a deposit last year.

In the end, I am glad I got what I got. I have only seen 2 other A5s and 2 S5s in the wild; while I see at least 3 e92 coupes on my way to work everyday (and at least another 3 coming home from work).

As for the wait, there are numerous threads floating around recently about availability. It looks like the S5 allocation taps are turning on.
I am not quite sure about canadian options but you can order a 335XI w/ sport pack in the US straight from the factory. I agree, 19"s are not avail for the XI from the factory.

As far as perfomace goes, i think twin turbo's also do speak for them combined with the lighter car and a huge torque. But in the end, I agree with you..... E9X's are and will be everywhere and I am hoping that will not be the case for S5's.

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Overall, I would say both cars are about the same and I still have not made up my mind if I should go a head and order M3 or wait 12 months for a S5.
the wait for the S5 is not 12 months. i placed my order september 11 and got and got an allocation and a build week of november 3. if you do go the M3 route than act now because bmw is offering 0.9% financing. you cant really go wrong either way but the S5 is just jaw dropping.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I also like the fact that S5 does not have run flat tires, it has a jack and a spare as well as an oil dip stick which BMW lacks.

Another thing to keep in mind might be the dealer experience. I've heard nothing but negative stuff about Audi service / dealership experience in my area. Taking the BMW for a service has always been a great experience.

3 points i'd like to make:

'09 S5 has no dipstick, they got rid of it..

nobody ever posts on the internet about good service experiences..

12 month wait may have been true earlier in the summer, but it's apparently no longer..

·
Registered
11 Posts
3 points i'd like to make:

'09 S5 has no dipstick, they got rid of it..

nobody ever posts on the internet about good service experiences..

12 month wait may have been true earlier in the summer, but it's apparently no longer..
Thank You....

I hope they did not get rid of the spare tire either.

Service experiences are all through fam members, not the internet.

As of 3 days ago my local dealer quoted 10-12 months. :( They said if I order now I would be getting a 2010MY......

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
As of 3 days ago my local dealer quoted 10-12 months. :( They said if I order now I would be getting a 2010MY......
I think a lot of it depends upon which dealership you go to. Some dealerships get a significantly larger number of allocations of the S5 than others. So, if you happen to go to one of the dealerships with fewer allocations available AND they happen to have a long list of customers wanting to order the S5, then you'll likely hear them say it will take many months to receive your car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
S5 vs 335xi

I just got my 2009 S5 .....my wife has a 2008 335xi coupe ....so i can compare. The S5 is a better car. Faster (335xi has a little bit of turbo lag), superior interior and superior stereo (B&O). Handling is about the same (for street use anyways). Plus I get many more looks and thumbs up in the S5. The BMW is a great car and would be my choice if i didnt get the S5 :D. There are lots of orders coming in where people are not taking delivery. Thats how i got mine.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
E92 BMW 335i is faster than Audi S5. At the start Audi will pull 1/2 car length, but that is going to stay like that until 335i engages second gear. By third gear it is going to close the gap and by speed around 160-170 it is going to beat you, after that it will pull on you, quite hard. That scenario would work only if both drivers get perfect launch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've owned both, so I'll chime in. FYI, I'm 31, so don't think I'm old when I make a few comments. ;) My '07 335i was awesome. For an all-around car, it was a blast. It was very comfortable, and with a tuner as the only mod it picked up just over 100 RWHP! It produced 374 RWHP and 434 RWTQ. The Vishnu Procede was literally the only mod besides wheels/tires. The car was a missle for what it was, and it did get some looks. My S5 felt like the larger car that it was. For cornering, it was absolutely awesome. The handling and grip of AWD could not be matched. The S5 had a harsher ride, and the car did not feel as fast even when comparing against my 335 when it was stock. Against my modded 335, the S5 was nowhere near a match. Despite the larger car, the backseat in the S5 was VERY cramped. The back seat in my 335 was comfortable. The S5 just felt....slow. It had an excellent sound and was great to listen to at WOT, but it just was not fast. I'm used to quicker street cars, but it was simply unimpressive at WOT. I ended up selling my S5 after receiving an offer I couldn't refuse, so I went back to my roots with a Corvette Z06. It makes just over 580 RWHP with aftermarket heads/cam, so it keeps me entertained. :D

This is all my two cents, for whatever it's worth.

Trevor

·
Registered
41 Posts
so after I parked my 2008 335i in the wrong parking space in my building by accident, I got a 9:30 wake up call that the vehicle had been towed and was not secured properly on the tow truck, my 335i dropped off the truck and intercooler snapped in half and frame was damaged. After a long awaited repair, and lawsuit for negligence and the fact that the towing company did not have proper insurance. I was happy with my settlement. I decided I would try the S5. I have put about 1200 miles on the S5, and besides the fact that I am experiences the "STICKY CLUTCH ISSUE" I am much happier with the S5, Both interior and exterior can not even be compared, although sometimes I feel that the 335i was better with the performance aspect, I do respect AWD, considering my first car was an STI. I love my s5, and could not be any happier. The steering on the 335i was completely different, and to describe it, I would say was much stiffer, you could feel the road more. The S5 tightens up at higher speeds, and drives its best when you are on the highway past 60 MPH. To be completely honest, I love BMW, I love AUDI, I love european cars. I really do wish sometimes that besides interior and exterior quality, and the fact that there are barely any S5's on the road, I wish its performance also blew the 335i out of the water, but that is not the case. BMW did a great Job with the 335 and I will never bash it. I am and AUDI owner now, and throughout my ownership I will test, and examine what the S5 is really made of. as of now, performance is similar, the S5 feels heavier, and is much bigger, but driving an S5 feels much different that driving a 335i, maybe because it turns so many heads, and the fact that there a 10000 billion 335's on the road at all times. If you want to save money, get a 335, you will be very happy, If you want to spend money and feel really good every morning, buy and s5, cause this car is amazing!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
so after I parked my 2008 335i in the wrong parking space in my building by accident, I got a 9:30 wake up call that the vehicle had been towed and was not secured properly on the tow truck, my 335i dropped off the truck and intercooler snapped in half and frame was damaged. After a long awaited repair, and lawsuit for negligence and the fact that the towing company did not have proper insurance. I was happy with my settlement. I decided I would try the S5. I have put about 1200 miles on the S5, and besides the fact that I am experiences the "STICKY CLUTCH ISSUE" I am much happier with the S5, Both interior and exterior can not even be compared, although sometimes I feel that the 335i was better with the performance aspect, I do respect AWD, considering my first car was an STI. I love my s5, and could not be any happier. The steering on the 335i was completely different, and to describe it, I would say was much stiffer, you could feel the road more. The S5 tightens up at higher speeds, and drives its best when you are on the highway past 60 MPH. To be completely honest, I love BMW, I love AUDI, I love european cars. I really do wish sometimes that besides interior and exterior quality, and the fact that there are barely any S5's on the road, I wish its performance also blew the 335i out of the water, but that is not the case. BMW did a great Job with the 335 and I will never bash it. I am and AUDI owner now, and throughout my ownership I will test, and examine what the S5 is really made of. as of now, performance is similar, the S5 feels heavier, and is much bigger, but driving an S5 feels much different that driving a 335i, maybe because it turns so many heads, and the fact that there a 10000 billion 335's on the road at all times. If you want to save money, get a 335, you will be very happy, If you want to spend money and feel really good every morning, buy and s5, cause this car is amazing!!
Do you have an '08 or '09, with the '09 you get drive select, which I have, it changes the driving dynamics considerably at a touch of a button, in dynamic mode the steering becomes much much heavier, kind of what you feel at highway speeds, but at regular speeds, also, throttle response becomes quicker,and the suspension stiffens up.

But, you have 3 settings comfort, dynamic, auto, for steering, suspension, and throttle, actually you have 27 because you can set each one individual so 3*3*3=27 combinations of driving dynamics. The point, you can make the steering much heavier.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts