Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I current have the wireless AA/CarPlay retrofit running on my car, and very happy with it thus far.

However my interest has piqued in android touch screen after doing a few installs in some BMWs recently.
Now I must start off with the disclaimer that the only reason I am considering the android screen is so that I can run CarPlay but with a touch interface, larger screen and move away from the MMI knob dependancy.

Looks a lot nicer on the BMW wider screens, (more apps in a row and dashboard view looks stunning, almost 2 full-sized A5 screens side by side) - Absolutely not interested in the Android OS or playing YouTube/googlemaps/4G capability etc.

Generally the RHD units are harder to come by and more expensive.
Whats the general consensus regarding the differences?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, guys. I got a carlinkit 4.0. It supports both wireless carplay and wireless Android auto. Being wireless is so great!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve also been using carlink 2.0 for the past year or so… works well mostly… i like how it uses the touchpad on knob… but for carplay it still isnt as good as my previous bmw which had a factory touchscreen - and was easy to connect more than one phone.

the only concern i’ve read on the android units is they can be slow, and the occasional reboot… sometimes my carlink doesnt connect right away… only affects carplay… i couldnt live with it if the entire screen did that!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve also been using carlink 2.0 for the past year or so… works well mostly… i like how it uses the touchpad on knob… but for carplay it still isnt as good as my previous bmw which had a factory touchscreen - and was easy to connect more than one phone.

the only concern i’ve read on the android units is they can be slow, and the occasional reboot… sometimes my carlink doesnt connect right away… only affects carplay… i couldnt live with it if the entire screen did that!
Maybe you can try to upgrade the Dongle. I did the update on my carlinkit and it worked fine the update was great and fixed all the issues I was having.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had a 12 inch android unit for a year and a half or so and have had no problems with rebooting or slowness, I cannot imagine not using it. Still retains all of the stock interface through the same screen but with a full android to do what you want with. I got mine from navifly on aliexpress but I would suggest getting a legit KSW software based unit, a snapdragon 662 based is the best one currently I believe. The KSW software based units have a whole community that supports adding features and what not to the system. When I upgrade (which may be sooner then later just based on the price) I will be going this route. These guys post on a couple other forums for BMW and Mercedes and they have a discord channel.

B8.5 A5 for ref.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts