Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been talking with a sales rep from HRE wheels about having a set of wheels made for my A5. I told him that I wanted to go with a 10" wide wheel (among other things) and he told me that he was going to give all the specs to an engineer to go over and he would get back to me. I just got a message on my cell phone from Matt the sales rep telling me that they recomend I go with a 9.5" wheel rather than a 10". I have seen plenty of A5/S5's with 10'' wide wheels. Any suggestions why they want me to go with the smaller width, and they also recomend a 265/30/20 tire?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think a 20x9.5 is the perfect size. with the 20x10, if you run 265's they will be stretched. If you want to run 275's they will fit comfortably on 9.5's or 10's; however, with the 9.5's you'll save some weight. It won't be much but every little bit counts. Are you planning to go wider than a 275? If so, you might want to go wider than 9.5" but that probably depends on how wide you want to go. Hope this helps some..........:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm ok going with 20x9.5, but is there any reason not to go with 20x10? do they rub?

·
Registered
907 Posts
9.5's will give you that tiny bit of extra overhang too. That will help to give you earlier warning if you get just to near the kerb with those expensive wheels!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
9.5 or 10 will work fine. 10's don't rub so HRE is probably just playing it safe....

·
Registered
49 Posts
I went with 20x10 all around as I was told by DPE. They assured me no rubbing.

Also I had them built for bigger brakes as well which just took a half inch off my lips in the rear. Instead of 4" ill have 3.5".
Oh well still gonna be sick with 10 all around.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Aesthetic is one thing, but I think the HRE engineer's approach is that a 10" will add extra weight, change steering feel, and isn't really necessary from a performance point of view. You can just subtract 6 from your offset and end up with the same amount of lip as the 10 would have.

-Ray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts