Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at various posts and one forum member who is due delivery of a 2009 model in January has indicated they have the new 3G MMI option. This surprises me.

Is anyone aware if this is available on the A5 now? My dealer told me no plans to put it in the A5 as yet and the main Audi customer services team in the UK are not aware of 3G on the A5. Also the feedback i had from an earlier thread indicated it was some way off. http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4164

My build week is next week (originally December but now brought forward to next week with end of October/early November delivery:D). I just added sat nav plus in time (last week :eek:)......but I understand that this is the standard / existing version not the option with 3GMMI.

Is my dealer trying it on by selling me the older version because it’s actually more expensive? I doubt it but you never know!! You need the AMI and MMI if you want full ipod control with the MK2 MMI. The new 3G comes with it as standard so the new system will be cheaper. (it is on the A6 anyway!!)

Does anyone have any insider knowledge if the 3G is imminent? From what i've been told it may be some time......just wondered if anyone had any views or up to date info:confused:
Many thanks
Glenn

·
Registered
953 Posts
I've been looking at various posts and one forum member who is due delivery of a 2009 model in January has indicated they have the new 3G MMI option. This surprises me.
That would be me.

As mentioned in the other thread, my dealer stated it and confirmed it after going away and checking, that it will be available on A5s from build week 45 onwards.

This may turn out to be rubbish, we'll see.

It is not available on A5s now it seems.

My view is that it would be great if it comes, but i'm not holding my breath.

As for insider info, I can only go on what my dealer emphatically told me. Still, I can't help but think he is spinning me a line.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Highrisedrifter I did not feel it was appropriate to name you at the start of the thread.....thanks for comming clean!!!;)

I hope your gut feeling is wrong ..........I hope you get it.

My original build timescale was December (so after week 48) but its been brought forward to week 39. At the time of order (late July) I was told the 3G was not available even though the build week would have been well after the week 45 that was indicated to you.

Hope you get it and if you dont.....hope you manage to screw the cost of the AMI interface out of them on top of any discount you've achieved.

Cheers
Glenn

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
As mentioned in the other thread, my dealer stated it and confirmed it after going away and checking, that it will be available on A5s from build week 45 onwards.
With whom exactly did your dealer confirm this information? That's something I would find out. Just explain to him that the information going around on the forums seems to contradict when the new MMI will be available on the A5, so you'd like to know who his source of information was for confirming the availability date.

·
Registered
953 Posts
With whom exactly did your dealer confirm this information? That's something I would find out. Just explain to him that the information going around on the forums seems to contradict when the new MMI will be available on the A5, so you'd like to know who his source of information was for confirming the availability date.
Actually, you and I think alike. I fired off an email to him earlier asking that exact thing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I gave a call to audi of america this morning to see if i could squeeze any info out from them-all i got from them was that the 3g MMI would be introduced first in the Q5 and no other model would receive it untill after that-I did get the guy to say that most likely the 3g MMI would be available in 2010 model a5/s5's................but from the way it sounded it did sound like no car would have it untill after the Q5 is on the market.........(which is soon i think right???

·
Registered
479 Posts
Just explain to him that the information going around on the forums
Most UK dealers will look at you blankly if you mention forums. They have no clue that places like this exist!!!
Mine was an exception, found him on tyresmoke.net

I'm pretty sure that the 3GMMI isn't coming to the A5 till very much later next year but I hope I'm wrong and you guys get it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I doubt my dealer will get back to me before Monday but i'll post his reply as soon as I get it.

He phoned me last time. I've asked for an email this time so I have his answer in writing. Not that it'll be binding, but because it will be less ambiguous or open to misinterpretation or mishearing (I hope).

The more you guys post, the more I can't help feeling my dealer was spinning me a line. :mad::mad:

EDIT: I'm not hugely fussed if I can't get the new MMI, I just want my damn car! :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I believe that I was one of the first to post here that the 3G MMIwould be available from build week 44 for the UK market. I was told by a dealer who checked with Audi UK (but initially he said there were no plans for it to be in the A5 anytime soon). I'm posting from iPhone, so can't paste the link, but there is a press release on the Audi UK website which says it will be coming soon to the A5 and A4 soon so I doubt that will be week 22 of next year for the UK market at least.

·
Registered
290 Posts
i guess i'll call them back tomorrow-(they said they always get their new info on fridays......i'll post back if i hear anything(p.s. anything i post is gunna mostly apply to u.s. owners lol-since i know nothing about the uk dealerships or anything)......

·
Registered
290 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ok so i called them-and they finally had some info.......again they said that the new MMI would be released in the Q5 first-followed by it being available in the a5/s5(i got him to estimate it to be released in a5/s5's built around march/april)---besides that he said the only other info he had on it was the the Navigation would now have real-time traffic.....more info to follow(thats what he said lol)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your responses. I think the concensus looks like around March April time next year for the 3G MMI. Again the forum is streets ahead of the info from my dealer / audi UK ..............so thanks.

We already have the real time trafic monitoring hear in the UK via a feature called TMC. This automatically monitors road conditions and offers auto diversions around incidents / jams etc. I've got this on my current vehicle and its a great feature...................so hope you guys in the US get it soon

Glenn

·
Registered
953 Posts
That link above had the following near the bottom:

"The latest generation Multi Media Interface with HDD navigation is now fitted as standard to A8 models, and will be available as an upgrade for the Audi Q7, Audi Q5, A6, A5 and A4 ranges in the near future."

There's still hope for me yet. :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks for your responses. I think the concensus looks like around March April time next year for the 3G MMI. Again the forum is streets ahead of the info from my dealer / audi UK ..............so thanks.

Glenn
Given the information I was told, and the press release stating it will be available in the "near future", I do believe that it will be build week 44 (for the UK and a Norwegian member has a confirmed order as well).

·
Registered
953 Posts
Well, this gets interesting. My dealer emailed my back this morning in response to my email yesterday and said the following:

"When you queried it a few days ago I went "straight to the horses mouth" and was told told by Audi UK Product and Marketing that it would be coming from wk45 on A4 & A5.

"I have called them again this morning and they have re-confirmed that it will be coming from wk 45 2008, but like everything this information is fed down the chain from Audi AG and could be subject to change.

"I know from personal experience that forums of all natures can be a great source of information, but equally they can often full of speculation and rumour.

"Without ringing Product and Marketing it would have been a fair assumption that it would have come after Q5, but this car is also being built from wk 45, and we have already had written communication that 3G MMI will also be coming on new A8 & A6 in the coming weeks"

So, I shall go with what he says I think. Still, i'm not going to pin my hopes on it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok so i called them-and they finally had some info.......again they said that the new MMI would be released in the Q5 first-followed by it being available in the a5/s5(i got him to estimate it to be released in a5/s5's built around march/april)---besides that he said the only other info he had on it was the the Navigation would now have real-time traffic.....more info to follow(thats what he said lol)
I think 2010 for NA, but UK sees sooner.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well guys I have to say the forum does it again...................we get to know more and sooner that the Audi so called experts.

Here is where I stand:-

I delayed ordering my A5 as I do not want to take delivery until January for financial reasons. So when I ordered and got told it would be built in November with delivery early / mid January I was happy with that.

I regularly asked my dealer for an exact build week but was kept being told don’t worry its not until November......you've loads of time to finalise your spec. Last week I asked again and when the dealer checked.....its down for build week 39 (next week) with delivery October. Luckily I was able to mod the spec in time to get what I wanted (added Sat Nav + changed to Black leather rather than light grey....literally at the last minute:eek:).

So hear is where I start to get annoyed. My car will now be ready in October but I'm unlikely to be able to take it much before mid December due to my finances. So my car will be built, sitting around with and yes if you’ve been following this thread you will realise it will have MKII MMI. If they had built the bloody thing when they said they would..........it would have the 3G MMI and I would have saved £200 as the AMI is included :mad:. Not so bothered about the money it’s more about not getting the latest technology in the car. I've checked today and have also had it confirmed that from week 45 the 3G MMI will be on the A5. So you lucky lot with build weeks after week 45 appear to be sorted;) and you’re likely to be getting behind the wheel at the same time as me:(

I asked the dealer to put back the build week but he has said it’s too late. I've even thought about telling them to shove it and re-ordering. I've only got a £500 deposit down so could re-order and only loose £300 due to the AMI saving.

Having got all that off my chest I'm sure I’ll be delighted by the car anyway and just need to forget about the 3G. The MKII is ok isn’t it?

Glenn

·
Registered
953 Posts
The mkII is accredited as being among the best going.

I will be more than happy with that one if the info I have turns out to be erroneous.

You're getting one if the best looking cars on the road chock full of some good toys. The 2.0TDSI engine won 'International Engine of the Year' this year too.

All in all, it's a fantastic motor, mate. You'll be stoked when you get it! ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Glenn, whats the reason for your build being brought forward?

I have had my 2.0T on order for about 4 weeks now and still no confirmed build date from the dealer.

I don't know why others have been able to get a build date within 10 days of placing an order.:confused:

Andy

1 - 20 of 55 Posts