Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

AMI Retrofit Guide

22K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  yamxs1 
#1 · (Edited)
**NOTE** Your car will most likely need to be updated by VAGCOM to make this work after its been fitted - or your dealer can activate it for you.

I'll add to this as I go but I thought I'd start the thread now that I have the parts I need.

MMI 2G AMI retrofit kit - Part no. 4E0 057 785 F
Price: £375 inc. VAT.
Available here at only £275 inc. VAT: eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

AMI Compatible Glovebox interior - Part no. 8K2 857 035 C
Price: £95 inc. VAT
*NOTE: This part number is for the black version. Give your local parts department your chassis number and they will order the correct version for your interior colour. This is important as this part has a visible section on the side that matches your interior.

Note the lack of hole for the airbag key switch. I'll need to cut a hole in it for that. You may be able to order a part with the hole pre-cut but I couldnt be arsed trawling back to the dealer so I just used a dremel.

See less See more
#2 ·
Also check the radio head unit you have as the AMI is not compatable with the basic Audi Infotainment Concert Radio whcih has the cd/sd button. If the Convert radio has the Media button then this would work.

rgds
JB

#3 ·
I would love to get this for my car as I have the basic Concert radio. But I'm confused as to which one to get as mine has the Media button but takes sd cards. All the ones I see listed say for MMI w/Navigation. Do I have the MMI? Then the question is how do you VAGCOM it?

#4 ·
Yes compatable with Concert Radio with Media button. I've seen a few on Ebay.

If you have the mmi control panel wheel by the gear stick/shift then you have MMI. I only have the basic 'Infotainment' system. When I turn the radio on it flashes up 'Infotainment'.

From what I understand if your radio has the Media button then you can retrofit the AMI interface.

I havent done this as I am happy with the 32GB sd card I have in and I can connect an aux in lead at the back of the radio - I dont need the AMI.

Vagcom is a software application that you install on a laptop, it comes with a OBDII port cable (Audi uses it to diagnose your car when its in for a service). The sofwtare allows you to make changes to the cars settings. RossTech is a well know seller.

rgds
JB

#6 ·
ok my bad. I have also have the Infotainrment System with the Audi Symphony radio.
And yes I know what the VAGCOM is as I just picked one up. What I was wonder is what "code" needed to be added/changed.
With that is there any way for me to add the AMI?
Be just as good if I can get Audi to update my radio so I can use a 32GB sd card

#5 ·
Ok Guys I installed this last night. Worked a treat and no coding was required. When I powered up the MMI, "Audi Music Interface" appeared under Sources.

Fairly easy job.

Step one - Remove glovebox.
I wont cover this as there's already a good guide on this here:
Glove box light retro fit and puddle light information

*NOTE - Turn off your passenger airbag using the key switch and dont turn on your ignition until you've completed the job or you may get errors for the airbag appear on screen which may need to be cleared.

Step two - Remove glovebox door
First you want to chap out the two metal pins on the hinge. A screw driver and a couple of light taps with a hammer will free them.

Next you need to remove the damper mechanism. Once the door is free of the hinges you'll have more room to play with. The part of the damper with the electrical connector on it (for the glovebox light if fitted) will pull off which allows you to rotate the damper mechanism housing free it from the glove box.

Step three - Refit to new glovebox
Just the above in reverse. If your new glovebox, like mine, doesn't have the hole for the Airbag key switch then you need to make one. I used a peice of card to and the original hole as a template. Cut the hole out of the card and then used it as a template for the new glovebox. I then cut the hole with a dremel. NOTE: to get the left side hinge pin in there's no room to chap it back in so I used a screwdriver to lever it in against my hammer.

Step four - Remove your existing stereo
Just use the keys in the kit to pull it out. Then connect the splitter cables to the existing stereo wiring. There are two plugs; a MOST connector and a power connector. The cables in kit connect to these and the back of the stereo and split off to other plugs that you will feed through to the glovebox area and plug in the back of the AMI unit.

Step five - Installation
Plug the AMI unit into your glove box. Attach the cables at the back and reinstall the glovebox in reverse from the above guide.

That's it. After I turned everything back on it worked.

#7 ·
I have read conflciting articles about the AMI interface - its compatability and that you need sat nav etc so you wonder if you can/can not fit it.

Another option would be to fit this whcih also has a bluetooth device if you havent got bluetooth:-

Audi OEM Bluetooth CAN-bus Talk2CAN - AMI Music ViseeO | eBay

I must admit, when I had the Fiscon bluetooth kit installed I am sorry this other kit wasnt on the market as I would have had this oner installed instead as not only does it give you the bluetooth phone compatability with your existing screen, it also gives you the ipod/iphone etc compatability.

The cheapest option for you would be to get your software updated on the head unit, mine is 0350 SW version, the latest. you can check the SW version in your cars menu.

#8 ·
Ya I tried to get the head unit updated after I was that thread. Dealer said he wouldn't unless there was a TBS on it. :(

#9 · (Edited)
What SW version is on your radio? I would insist that they do it to enable higher capacity SD cards (SVW update code below to give to them). If it is the 0100 series software then you cant update, you can update from 0200 I think - I will check.

This is what I was told by someone I know installs these:-

"As far as I am aware you cannot update from 0130 to 0310, Only from 0210 to 0310. This then enables the 32gig cards.

Unfortunately we cannot offer this update, you need to go to Audi service and ask them to run SVM code B856A001"

Take a look:-

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-topics/9953-question-about-replacing-soundsystem.html

#10 ·
Just checked and I have SX: 0211
Funny when I checked while in the setup there's a mode where you can default your settings and MMI was in there.....so it seems it does have MMI and there's different versions of it.

I already have Bluetooth on my car so that wouldn't be the way to go. If I can somehow get the dealer to update me that would be great, might try another dealer, we'll see.

Evil Derboy..can I ask what radio you have in your car? Any controls by the shifter as this is a quick way of determining.

#11 ·
I have 2g MMI.

#12 ·
I think there are 3 versions

MMI
MMI2G with controls by shifter and MMI3G again with controls by shifter.

The radios with basic 'Infotainment' systems - mmi but from what people tell me its not really true MMI like with 2g/3 and limited in what it can do.

rgds
JB

#13 ·
Yeah really there's only two in the A5 2g and 3g. The chorus/concert/symphony use a different system that use the same graphical layout as the MMI systems but dont use the MOST communications set-up.

#14 ·
Yes, the infotainment is not true MMI, called MMI but not, so yes correct MMI 2g and 3G.

rgds
JB

#15 ·
So now where's that leave me in getting a AIM? My dealer was totally useless when I asked him about it.

#16 ·
Get your dealer or another one to apply that TBS code I posted up and you will then be able to play higher capacity sd cards. - this is the most cost effective way otherwise you end up paying alot of money.
You can not update the software through Vagcom - only the main dealer can do this. You will be able to play 4gbsd cards not HC.

rgds
JB

#17 ·
To be honest if I had an SD slot I wouldnt have bothered with the AMI install. In my last car it had both (VWs version is called MDI) and I always just used SD cards.

#18 ·
I searched around and that update is only for European/Canadian cars. Audi USA will not apply the update

#19 ·
Search for another head unit on Ebay with the uptodate software

#20 ·
I told my mate about the update and he asked Audi to do it whilst his was in at the dealer. They refused saying it's not an official Audi update. This from a UK dealer.

#21 ·
find an independant garage who has the SVM software license and ask them to update it.

If you are in the UK ask Hazzydaze (Gareth or Sean)

rgds
JB

#22 ·
That's not really an option as I'm in NY....USA

But I might give Audi USA a call

#23 ·
Glovebox Interior

I am looking at retrofitting AMI in my car, however i need the compatible glove box interior as mentioned above. I have asked for this part number over the phone to Audi but they say that the number no longer exists? (No revised number either? - I highly doubt this)

They have told me that it is the whole glovebox that i need, working out at roughly £190!

Can anyone shed any light and point me in the direction of where to get a compatible part?

Thanks

#25 ·
Ok I'll have a look into it :)

Looking at threads, I've seen that some cars have AMI but just have a cable in the glovebox, no box.

Can this be retrofitted to mine or does it work differently? Or is it a 3G MMI thing?

I am assuming that both allow full control over iPods from the steering wheel and main controls?

Cheers

#26 ·
Gents,

Hoping to gain some additional insight into this process. I'm due to collect my sb on Thursday and it has basic nav mmi. It doesn't have ami though. I'm looking to just connect my iPhone. I've seen a cable online from the German site that routes from the back of the stereo to the glove box with the gromit to put the cable port into the glovebox. The cable and gromit come to 159 euro. With this sorted do I then get the iPod ami cable with the red collar to support the album art and just use the lightening adapter or do I get the USB ami cable with the red collar?

I hoping it's this simple but want to make sure. I've also read that I may or not need the system updated via vcds. That's another question too.

Thanks for any insights, my car is/will be Audi A5 S-Line October 2012 2.0 tdi 163bhp bhp. I'm really so excited that I'm not sleeping since ordering it!

#28 ·
Hi, I've installed AMI cable (ref: 4F0035909) at the back of the MMI 3G NAV (BASIC) unit and a Connects2 A2DP bluetooth adaptor.

Music is playing through AUX option after pressing MEDIA buttom (DVD/SD/AUX are showing at MEDIA) but I don't have the control through the steering wheel scrolling buttoms.

I've tried to modify the affected option at the hidden menu (green menu) MAIN/DIAGNOSE/SETTINGS>AMI/AUX but it does not work.

I've read at other threads the requirement to modify the LONG CODING HELPER at Radio module 56:
BYTE 0
- BIT 0 ANALOG INPUT (AUX) INSTALLED
- BIT 2 ANALOG INPUT (AUX) MONITORING ACTIVE

BYTE 11
- BIT 3 MOBILE DEVICE INTERFACE (MDI) SETTINGS ACTIVE

My VCDS Ross Tech is 2017 but has no labels for Radio module 56 and it's not 12 Bytes long (don't remember, but I believe it was 08 Bytes).

I've tried to check MMI module 5F labels which are showing but none of the bits has nothing to do with AMI/AUX.

Will you please help out to activate AMI function?.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.