Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before anyone says "do a search", I already have. The threads that exist are confusing at best. I have a new A5 on order with the AMI option. While it will be used for IPOD on occasions, it will mainly be used for a "normal" MP3 player, or a card reader, or a hard drive. I need to make sure that I get the right connector lead/s for both, and whether or not they can be obtained anywhere other than an Audi dealer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Find out the corrct part numbers that you need ie from the dealer and check flea bay. They are always some for sale and a lot cheaper than the stealers

·
Registered
70 Posts
The cables changed a little while ago, so make sure you get the correct cables for your car.

In the UK, the dealers do a pack of two cables that give you an iPod connection and a USB connection. Slightly cheaper than buying the cables seperately.

AMI is brilliant and gives you a solid connection into your A5. My iPod usually lives in the glovebox and there is a little tray for it to sit on.

I've connected a 160Gb hard drive which works well, and I've uploaded some tunes to the car's harddrive so that I've always got something to listen to even if my iPod is out of the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just talked to the dealer in Maryland that I ordered my 2009 A5 from (due in next month), and he said that mini-USB cables are not available for the A5. I don't think that's correct, but alas you can't search these forums for a 3 letter word. :-( Does anyone in the US have contradictory information and/or a part number I can give him?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Mini-USB cable part number (US part #)

Does anyone in the US have contradictory information and/or a part number I can give him?
Yep, see below. For additional details, refer to this thread.

I recently attained a new, loaded S5 with all options. I was informed by the dealer that the only cable available was the IPOD cable. I didn’t want a dang IPOD as they have one of the lowest audio quality conversion rates of ANY MP3 player. I knew there were multiple cables available for the AMI interface. So, I found a part number for a mini-usb adapter, took that to the dealer, and poof… Magically it now existed. That number is 4F0 051 510 H.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Do note that some of the cables are different depending on if the car has the MOST AMI (with navi) or the CAN AMI (with radio). Some part numbers here:

AMI (Audi Music Interface) part numbers / Notes on retrofitting AMI (A4/A5/A6)
http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a4a5amiparts.html

For example, the CAN AMI iPod cable has a blue collar on it to separate it from the MOST AMI cable.

I don't know if MMI 3G affects this further.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
That's great, Maxwell. Glad you were able to get it sorted. Dealers sometimes provide inaccurate information, so it's nice to have forums like this where car owners can go to find accurate information.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Iphone / Ipod and USB leads are provided FOC by the dealer in the UK, so make sure you're not charged!:dance:
Are you sure they are free of charge?

I have the new 3G MMI but no cables just the socket in the glove box.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Absolutely.....if you have MMI, your stealer should have provided the means to be able to use the product you ordered with your car.

Thanks Molly - Ill give it a go and let you know how I get on

:swordfight::swordfight:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Picking up my car tomorrow and can confirm my dealer has included both USB and iPod Cables :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just received our new A5 2.0TFSI S-line and no leads are present for the AMI. I will need to contact the dealer. I am new to this site and the information gleaned is brilliant. Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
No leads came with mine....

The dealer wanted £25 for the mini-usb lead.

I didn't pay as I had done a deal to include it anyway with the sale.

My experience of USB hardrive is at best "random".
I'll post on another thread, but I may end up using mem cards/jukebox or Ipod after all...

·
Registered
66 Posts
in my A5, i cant see the usb port :( :( where it is located? can somoeone take a picture of it?

i have MMI 3G, the car arrived yesterday...

i have an iphone and i cant connect it with the car! only with bluetooth, but the battery lose its power very fast.. :(

i need usb to connect my iphone 3g :(

some pictures:

any solution?

thx

:(

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Any USB connector would not be where you have taken your pictures but in the glovebox as part of AMI.

Did you order AMI?

In the UK this is now part of a Technology Pack with 3G MMI.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Any USB connector would not be where you have taken your pictures but in the glovebox as part of AMI.

Did you order AMI?

In the UK this is now part of a Technology Pack with 3G MMI.
can u take a picture of your usb port?

i dont know where it is in my car.

yeah i ordered mmi 3g and it include ami...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I do not have 3G MMI! But there should be a connector or AMI in the glove box. You will then need a USB adaptor cable from Audi.

An alternative to all of this is to buy a cradle for your iPhone which plugs into that docking station in your centre console.

Hopefully someone with both an iPhone and 3G MMI with AMI will be along to help you soon

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Docking station? Centre Console? Don't think I have either of these on mine! All my Ami bits are in the glove locker. No Aux in (like I had on TT) either just sliding draw thingsy and cable.

Good luck!:music-smiley-019:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts