Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new to the board but would appreciate any feedback.
Here's the deal. Am I nuts for seriously thinking about trading in my Merecedes Benz CLS55 AMG for an S5?

My Benz dealer has an 09 Deep Sea Blue S5 coming in the end of August. It's equipped with the technology package, nav, B&O sound, dark wood trim, tip-tronic trans, a couple of other do-dads and a black interior with alcantara inserts. It's mine if I want it. He's working out the details and pricing as I type this.

My 55 is silver with ash interior and is loaded with every option minus the distronic cruise. Listed for just a hair under $100,000. I bought it in April of 2007 for $67,000. It also has warranty out to Jan. of 2010.

I'm well aware of the difference in performance from one car to the other.
The Audi will handle better but won't have the sheer acceleration of the Benz. I can live with that. Drove a new S6 Audi a couple of years ago and while it was OK, it didn't knock my socks off.

So, any thoughts about this and what a fair price difference might be?
Sorry about such a long post for a first-timer but I would really like some input.
Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nuts....

.....not Really. I Too Had A Benz. S500 Loaded Bought For 90,000 New. You Sound Like A High Roller, So I Assume That None Of Your Decision Is About Money.

Anyway, Traded For An 08 White S5 Loaded And Never Looked Back. Enjoy A New Car For A While And Then Move On To The Next One In A Few Years. Love And Appreciate What You Had, Have And Will Have.

Bottom Line. Play Like 'nike' And Just Do It. You Wont Regret It

Then Again, Benz Is Amazing Too................:)

·
Registered
204 Posts
That's a slam dunk... the S5. How many Benz' do you see running around? No how about A5/S5's? If you get tired of it in a few years get the latest and greatest then.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have just changed from a Benz 350, into an Audi Diesel, All for a performance Increase, better handling in the wet, better style and better all round feel factor...... and i must say, the Audi is knocking spots off the Merc in all matters :D

and The S5 is WOW such a Wonderful Drive !!!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
better design, better interior, better performance period in the wet/snow...can't count how many AMGs I have left spinning at a light. S5.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hey Rock,

It depends on what you want/like. The CLS55 AMG is a monster (in a good way), but it will drive like one (not in a good way) compared to the S5. I have to agree with mmaturo, the S5 has better lines and a much better interior (IMHO). Plus the low end torque on the S5 will leave most cars at the light...now top-end is a different story...

But still I see 5 or more CLSs every day and I see one (mine) S5 everyday...and rarely a second (like 1 in the four months I've owned the car)...plus, it is funny when an owner of a $100k CLS55 ogles my car...actually happened at my office yesterday. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, thanks the the replies.
Dealer wants between 8-10K difference out the door. The car is supposed to be his demo but I've purchased a number of cars from him (two 911TT's, E55, pair of Boxsters among them) so he has no problem in letting me have the car. Decisions, decisions.

By the way, just curious...have any of you ever driven an supercharged 55 AMG?
469 hp and 516 ft lbs of torque will leave a lot of cars looking silly at a light, including most likely an S5, and all the way up to it's 155 mph limiter. Plus, it's not a daily driver and I believe I own the only CLS55 in the state so it's pretty rare here in North Dakota, at least.

Thanks again for your insight and I'll let you know how things turn out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
An AMG 55 versus an S5? Really now!

Hey, thanks the the replies.
Dealer wants between 8-10K difference out the door. The car is supposed to be his demo but I've purchased a number of cars from him (two 911TT's, E55, pair of Boxsters among them) so he has no problem in letting me have the car. Decisions, decisions.

By the way, just curious...have any of you ever driven an supercharged 55 AMG?
469 hp and 516 ft lbs of torque will leave a lot of cars looking silly at a light, including most likely an S5, and all the way up to it's 155 mph limiter. Plus, it's not a daily driver and I believe I own the only CLS55 in the state so it's pretty rare here in North Dakota, at least.

Thanks again for your insight and I'll let you know how things turn out.
With all due respect to folks on this blog, you would be hard pressed to compare an AMG 55 with an S5.

I've driven a few of each. There is no comparison! The supercharged V-8 in the Mercedes will spank and smoke the S5 all day long.

Remember, this is an S5 and not an RS5 (yet to be released). Your note about HP and torque are spot on. Now how does that compare to the S5 hp and torque? About 100 hp and 150 lb-ft less right?

Additionally I find it hard to believe a prior post that the person with an S5 "leaves AMGs spinning at the light." Get real! Who's driving the AMG? One's parked at the curb don't count.

Make no mistake, the S5 is a great car; lighter too; but not by much. Hell, try an M3 if you want to dust folks off the line all day long.

BTW - if you think an AMG 55 is amazing, try the new 63AMG; in SL form!

The real question here is whether you are considering a manual S5 or an automatic?

The real beauty to the S5 comes into play as a manual. Whereas there are no manual AMGs (at least not in the US).

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
231 Posts
personally i would stick to the merc unless you really wanted a new car

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
It's not all about power...

It depends how you want to drive. If, like me you drive 75% of the time at 'normal speeds' and enjoy the effortlessness of doing this along with the comfort, and the beauty inside and out then the S5 is a better option. You will not need the extra power and nobody looks twice at a merc.

For 'spirited driving' on the other 25%, the S5 isn't really found wanting for power, but you can never have enough right? However, the Merc is scarily powerful and quick and in my one short drive in an AMG Merc it was exciting, only because I was terrified of using the load pedal in anything but a straight line, making me feel like I couldn't use the power half the time and point & squirt driving is not fun. Mind you, it was raining.

The S5 however is not as quick, but plenty quick enough, has MUCH more secure handling characteristics and traction (esp in the wet), making it fun (for average Joe) to push to the limit, not scary.

...So it may not be as powerful as the Merc, or as driveable as an M3, but it's still fun... and when you're cruizin' ...those looks... mmmm.

'Horses for courses' as they say

In summary, nope I don't think you're nuts. If the two cars were the same price here in the UK. I'd still have the S5.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, thanks for your replies.

Sold the car privately for $10,000 more than the dealer offered me on a trade.
S5 has been put on the back burner and it looks like there'll be an 06-07 SL55 AMG in my future. I guess once an AMG man, always an AMG man.

But again, thanks for your insight. It was appreciated.
I'll continue to visit the forum now and then.

·
Registered
106 Posts
SL55 AMG Price discounts....

Well, thanks for your replies.

Sold the car privately for $10,000 more than the dealer offered me on a trade.
S5 has been put on the back burner and it looks like there'll be an 06-07 SL55 AMG in my future. I guess once an AMG man, always an AMG man.

But again, thanks for your insight. It was appreciated.
I'll continue to visit the forum now and then.
Rocks -

I too have been looking at the AMG SL55. Last I checked (last month), local MB dealers (Denver, CO) were offering $24K off remaining AMG SL55s. This incentive ($12K from MB + $12K from dealer) was to clear them out before the SL63 hit the ground.

So, check around as you may get a great deal.

Great way to go with an AMG!

Regards,

GTL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts