Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A number of people have commented here and on other forums about enabling a digital speedometer in the S5 display by cycling through the options by clicking the buttons on the end of the right stalk. But I see no such option. All I see is average speed and current MPG, not current speed. Current speed is also not listed in the MMI settings for the display. The Mode button for me also just switched between my phone and music.

Am I missing something here? I looked in the manual (read both the S5 and MMI manual), but perhaps I missed something.

I really see no point in knowing my average speed or current MPG, so those just seem like silly options for most people, but a digital speedometer is incredibly useful.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Click the reset button under the stalk that changes the DIS to show the speed digitally. It changes the display if you click it and resets it if you hold it.

Aren't you glad this forum exists?
:)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Exactly as Ian says - use the button on the underside of the right hand column stalk to change the DIS settings - it will show Trip Computer 1 (averages/totals for single journey, with up to 2 hour breaks) then Trip Computer 2 (average/totals since last reset, even if car is stopped) and finally digital speed with the trip computer relegated to a lower, smaller text row. This small row then cycles around both trip 1 and 2 using the rocker switch on the end of the same column stalk. Hope this is clear.

I just leave mine displaying the digital speed as it's a very quick reference to your actual speed if you suddenly spot a speed camera van or Gatso.

Here's some pics of the DIS in my 3.0 TDi in each of the three settings (the little number in the red square tells you whether you're in trip 1 or 2).

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Click the reset button under the stalk that changes the DIS to show the speed digitally. It changes the display if you click it and resets it if you hold it.

Aren't you glad this forum exists?
:)
Wow, you just got that darn car and you already know all the tricks:D . Still having fun with it?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Cool....I learned something today.

Does it remain as the default????

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Sizzle,
It will stay in whatever setting you're in when you stop the engine. Only thing that changes is the readings of trip 1 which reset to zero if you've been stopped for more than 2 hours. If not then it assumes you're continuing a previous journey, so keeps the information - useful if you want to know how long you've been driving for/what your average speed and mpg is over a long journey where you've taken breaks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sizzle,
It will stay in whatever setting you're in when you stop the engine. Only thing that changes is the readings of trip 1 which reset to zero if you've been stopped for more than 2 hours. If not then it assumes you're continuing a previous journey, so keeps the information - useful if you want to know how long you've been driving for/what your average speed and mpg is over a long journey where you've taken breaks.
Is there a way to change the amount of time the car needs to be off before the trip 1 counter resets?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Is there a way to change the amount of time the car needs to be off before the trip 1 counter resets?
I would also like this. I would prefer trip 1 to stay until I reset it. Then it figures mileage over the entire tank of fuel. I have yet to reset trip 2 (probably never will) as I like to see the entire history of the car.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I used to think about this with my S4, but there has to be a physical limit to the number of sample points it uses, either it's a ring buffer - i.e. at some point it drops sample points off the back and tacks new ones on the front, or it automatically dithers as a function of time.. i'm willing to bet it's the first one as coding the latter would be prohibitive compared to the benefits of such an engineering exercise.. i wonder if there's any way to determine how long the average can be for before samples drop if that's the case..

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...I always thought it's a ring buffer, therefore, ultimately giving you a rolling average of the sample size... however big that is? In my A6 I do remember the driving time reaching a maximum (100 hours I think) and then returning to zero, so maybe there's a clue?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
You guys rock. Worked like a charm! Kind of strange to have the button for switching between displays be labeled "Reset" but such is life :)
The "Reset" part of it comes into play if you click and hold the reset button rather than click and release. This will reset all the values in either trip 1 or 2 (whichever you have selected at the time) back to zero rather than cycle through the 3 settings of the display.

I've never reset my trip 2 so I've got a long-term average fuel consumption (38.6mpg in my car) but I guess if you wanted to reset trip 1 after just a short break, then that should work (haven't tried it myself yet).

·
Registered
94 Posts
All of which begs the question: has anybody actually waded through the 320 page manual? Oh and then there's the 190 page manual for the MMI as well!! lol

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I would also like this. I would prefer trip 1 to stay until I reset it. Then it figures mileage over the entire tank of fuel. I have yet to reset trip 2 (probably never will) as I like to see the entire history of the car.
You can figure out your mileage per tank simply by reseting the counter under the DIS when filling up ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.