Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My S5 tip has now been delayed until late November but I've committed to giving the dealer my Q7 this month for an improved trade in price . This was agreed when my S5 was due to arrive in August.
My question is that I'm now starting to feel like I'm being taken for a ride here as they will be sitting on £37,000 of my money for 5 months. Is this normal practice for dealerships or am I being too laid back . 2 months I could handle but 5 months is taking the p*ss in my opinion. They've even asked for a cheque when I hand over the car to cover putting my private number on retention until the S5 arrives !
They did offer £5000 more for my Q7 than my nearest Audi dealer if I gave them my car early but I still now feel cheated.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
My S5 tip has now been delayed until late November but I've committed to giving the dealer my Q7 this month for an improved trade in price . This was agreed when my S5 was due to arrive in August.
My question is that I'm now starting to feel like I'm being taken for a ride here as they will be sitting on £37,000 of my money for 5 months. Is this normal practice for dealerships or am I being too laid back . 2 months I could handle but 5 months is taking the p*ss in my opinion. They've even asked for a cheque when I hand over the car to cover putting my private number on retention until the S5 arrives !
They did offer £5000 more for my Q7 than my nearest Audi dealer if I gave them my car early but I still now feel cheated.
'
As I understand it, (although not exactly law) if they have given you a delivery date, they have at least an obligation to provide a vehicle in the event of delivery delays... I would push them to provide a loaner from August to November.

Regarding the cheque for registration retention... if this is as a result of the delay, then it's their cost to bear. Tell them to 'stick it'. If this was needed anyhow, but they've just decided to ask you to pay up-front... they have your non-refundable deposit right? Tell them to use that... or do what I did and say that you would like them to add that to the car finance... After all, it's their delay not yours.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If you can manage without the Q7 let them have it now to secure the best price but tell them to give you a cheque for the bulk if not all of its value, they have the car to sell. This is how we do it...

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
As long as they're paying for your Q7 right now, rather than taking that as a deposit/payment for the S5. Best keep that money in your own account rather than relying on them.

In reality, any deposit which you've put down can now be refunded because they've defaulted by not delivering the car on time, if that were ever to happen. Important to note here that you shouldn't sign any more contracts stating the "new" delivery date. The only thing you should be signing is for handing the Q7 over.

Out of curiosity, what dealer is it you're using?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer I'm using is Aberdeen Audi . The order form shows the balance to pay so as you say I take it they are using the Q7 as the deposit.

After your comments I'll contact them and ask for a cheque back for the bulk of the Q7 trade in value and offer to leave a deposit for the S5 order.

What if they refuse and say the deal was based on them retaining Q7 as full deposit , where do I stand ?

All I have signed so far is an order form.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
They wont do that, its not ethical and you could speak to Audi UK. I would say if they try it on cancel, get refund and go elsewhere, but if the trade in was that strong you might lose out. I'm certain you won't have a problem - unless they're short of cash !!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Audi taking the p*ss surely not, I think you must be mistaken there......:eek: Are you sure it is you who has not got you wires crossed? or am I the only one that Audi shift the blame of incompetence onto?

My S5 must be the most unique car in the world. It was supposed to be delivered 2 weeks ago, then it was on a boat 1 week, then last Wednesday it was in the yard awaiting shipping, then on the Thursday it came out of build :D (I think). It is unique in that it is the only car that f*ckin travels back in time.

I just hope that when I get it I can go back to last Saturday and redo my lottery numbers :D Keep on their backs and give them not a sodding inch leway with anything and demand a vehicle at least with me they gave me a brand new A6 2.0TDI to go about my business in.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
It is unique in that it is the only car that f*ckin travels back in time.
So it wasn't an Audi dealer you went to - it was a De Lorean dealer obviously. :D

Sorry Panther, couldn't resist it. I do feel your pain.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Not being taken by Audi, you are being taken by a shady manager. If they go out of business tomorrow, you are out the money and will never see it again.

·
Registered
165 Posts
So it wasn't an Audi dealer you went to - it was a De Lorean dealer obviously. :D

Sorry Panther, couldn't resist it. I do feel your pain.

Lol it certainly feels like it, still hopefully tomorrow I might get some favourable news, I live in hope :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They wont do that, its not ethical and you could speak to Audi UK. I would say if they try it on cancel, get refund and go elsewhere, but if the trade in was that strong you might lose out. I'm certain you won't have a problem - unless they're short of cash !!!
Thanks for your advice with this . I contacted the dealership , couldn't have been nicer , cheque for £34,000 will be ready when I drop off the Q7 next week, they sais this is what my car is costing them so the remaining £3000 of the P/Ex value is obviously discount on the S5 . Glad I posted this now.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
hey im also from aberdeen, i find aberdeen are the best so far i cant fault them, if you need any contact names pm me and ill be happy to provide numbers and names of the ones i trust :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Thanks for your advice with this . I contacted the dealership , couldn't have been nicer , cheque for £34,000 will be ready when I drop off the Q7 next week, they sais this is what my car is costing them so the remaining £3000 of the P/Ex value is obviously discount on the S5 . Glad I posted this now.
Result! ...sound advice.

Right... now stick £3,600 of it into a tax-free ISA and get your Missus to do the same. at least you get 6 months interest tax free on £7,200!! ...That's about £250... a nice weekend away!!

:cool:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
or a new handbag for the missus saying she might not see the S5 either :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
They've even asked for a cheque when I hand over the car to cover putting my private number on retention until the S5 arrives !
Ditch the PP and save a bit of money. Why bother eh? Bad memory? :confused::confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts